JetBeam JET-I PRO (Cree R2) 1AA Review: Beamshots, Runtimes, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Updated main post with some additional comments on the tailcap spring.

As noted previously, fit is pretty tight - especially with protected 14500 in there. I've had a couple of instances now of the tailcap spring getting pinched to one side while changing batteries (and staying crooked until I straightened it out). Issue seems to be part of the spring getting caught under the plastic switch retaining ring, and not "popping" back out fully when pressure is released.

No real problem so far, but I could see this being the weakest part of the light on long-term use. Note that the same issue also applies to the C-LE and MkII series lights, as they seem to use the same tailcap design.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
As noted previously, fit is pretty tight - especially with protected 14500 in there. ... No real problem so far, but I could see this being the weakest part of the light on long-term use.
Yessss, exactly --> the predetermined breaking point! :mecry:
Better use Eneloops.

Dogshund

Newly Enlightened
I dont have any problems with mine, yet! I'm using AW 14500 and it needs a few good turns of the tail cap until its screwed down as far as it will go. No bent spring issues either. I'll keep you updated if there is any change. :grin2:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yessss, exactly --> the predetermined breaking point! :mecry:
I don't know if I would go that far. It could be the spring would last forever, but I thought I should report the observation of it getting partially "stuck" under the retaining ring. My worry is just that this could be a weak point long-term (i.e. could "getting stuck" wind up applying stress to the spring attachment point?). It's something that should probably be watched closely as time goes by.

This is also not a unique 14500 problem either - the same issue has occurred with NiMH in there as well. It just seems have occurred more often with my 14500s, making me think it's likely due to the increase pressure on the spring. Have to wait and see if its ultimately an issue ... :whistle:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Jet 1 Pro from BugOutGear today.

I am VERY impressed with the quality and build of this light. Anno is perfect, no imperfections. Threads are smooth, reflector and lens are clean and dust free.

My AW 14500's from Lighthound fit perfectly, no trouble screwing on the tailcap.

This thing is a pocket rocket for sure. Has amazing throw and a nice round hotspot similar to the Olights. It beat my Olight T10 in throw.

For those of you that are familiar with the Q5 drop in by BOG, this is - in my opinion - is a pocket version of it, high is that good. Low still provides a good amount of light. Knowing that low can go for 2hrs 35min on my AW's, thats just comforting to me.

I know there is an issue regarding regarding runtime on medium. I am more than content with the high and low on this light, but then again, that's just me.

Highly Recommend this little guy!

Last edited:

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I am more than content with the high and low on this light, but then again, that's just me. Highly Recommend this little guy!
It's NOT just you. After weeks of using, I like it more and more. Only the scratches on the "-" of the AW 14500 cells are awful.
This will be "the most sexiest flashlight of 2008". :thumbsup:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a grinder at work. After noticing a few scratches on the bottom of my AW 14500, I grinded down the sharp corner of the spring...presto!!
No more scratches, took only a few seconds to do.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I have a grinder at work. After noticing a few scratches on the bottom of my AW 14500, I grinded down the sharp corner of the spring...presto!! No more scratches, took only a few seconds to do.
JetBeam should have done this task in China. :thumbsdow

I use Eneloops now, they have a far more rugged bottom the AW 14500s. I might loose 500 lumens in the spot and a little bit runtime, but this is no big problem for me. Btw, I have replaced this ugly orange push button against the black one. :twothumbs

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, this life is the hardest thing I have ever done. :laughing:

Ahhhhhh!
A great "notable quotable" is passed on to me. 2008 is the year of the LiteFlux LF2X and the JET-I PRO... although the LF2X will keep me occupied long enough for the JET-I PRO to go version 2 (I need 2 hours of medium runtime please!) Good things come to those that wait so maybe Version 2 will have an R4 Cree... hey, it can happen! 2 years ago the idea of a single AA single LED light punching over 100 lumens at the LED was fantasy... bring on V2!

Albinoni

Banned
This is light is one hell of a nice light but its got its up and downs (like most lights) and one big factor being its Med/Low runtimes. If this light is meant to be a thrower (as claimed) than Jetbeam should rid this med/low business and use it purely as a thrower, a forward clikie and a OP reflector. Quite surprisingly its younger brother the Jetbeam MKIIR has a OP reflector but the Jet 1 Pro hasnt.

Overall I'm sure its build quality is very good and up there with the more expensive counterparts and also produces a very good beam/throw.

If I were Jetbeam and I had to go back and re-engineer this torch this is how I would do it:

1. Use and OP reflector
2 Have a slightly fatter body to use 2xCR123A batts inc rechargeable type.
3. Use a forward tactical clickie
4. Use the best Cree LED possible
5. Get rid of the Low/Med mode and use only the one mode.

At the end of the day thankyou Selfbuilt for an excellent review and and a job well done. I hope to read more Jetbeam reviews or any reviews from you in the future.

Well done :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure hope Jetbeam makes a V2 with a really low long runtime low. I personally don't care much about medium but it isn't a bad thing at all... so long as it um has longer runtime than the high. :sigh:

Now what I'd really like to see is a forward clickie.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I sure hope Jetbeam makes a V2 with a really low long runtime low. ... Now what I'd really like to see is a forward clickie.
It's interesting, I'm typically a big fan of lower low modes and I'm not that much of a forward clicky freak (on most lights, I don't think a reverse clicky is a problem at all).

But I must admit, I find myself wishing there was a forward clicky on this light (like my D-miniD). Something about using a thrower that just wants a momentary on feature. :)

At the same time, lack of the lower low mode doesn't really bother me on any of my throwers (I never use the really low mode on my RaidFire Spear, for ex.). A greater concern to me is better battery efficiency on "medium-low" modes, so that I can get a good compromise of throw and runtime if I need it in the woods.

I guess I just carry too many different lights with me! :grin2:

If this light is meant to be a thrower (as claimed) than Jetbeam should rid this med/low business and use it purely as a thrower, a forward clikie and a OP reflector.
I'm curious, why do you think an OP reflector would help? For me, a slight OP is fine on general purpose Cree or Rebel-based lights (to help smooth out the rings/artifacts), but I prefer SMO for all my throwers. I've tested out a few OP reflectors on my throwers (e.g. MRV, Regal), and always revert back to smooth for actual outdoor use.

Of course, I may be biased here - I generally prefer SMO in most cases anyway. But it seems to me it is the most appropriate for a thrower.