JetBeam RRT21 vs Klarus XT11

peteschlabar

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the forum and in the market for a new torch. I have looked at countless models/types, and have narrowed my liking down to these:
JetBeam RRT21
or
Klarus XT11

I can't decide which one to go with. :shrug: I really like the infinitely variable dial on the RRT21, but also like the quick switch option on the XT11. XT11 seems to have more lumens and battery lasts a long while. Is this due to the XM-L U2 LED?

I also plan on getting a diffuser filter with my purchase, and possibly a green filter mostly just for camping and such. So if you own either of these or have experience with them, please comment. Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XT-11 and love it. The bezel on mine is so tight I can't get it off. The switch is an excellent design. I have no experience with jetbeam

buds224

Enlightened
I too have the Klarus XT11. Love it. Instant on to Turbo with the main switch. Second switch for instant strobe. Decent throw, plenty of light. My 2 Jetbeams are well built; PC10 / ST Cycler.

One thing that disappointed me temporarily was finding out the anti-roll ring on the XT11 was plastic. It cracked and broke off one day, but after a short temper tantrum, I got over it and preferred the XT11 without that ring. So I'm happy with it again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have and love the Klarus XT11, its my EDC light. VERY nice UI, works flawlessly, long run times, very bright, with a floody yet throwy beam...a nice balance for me....built like a tank/fits in my pocket.

PS to madecov:

To get the bezel off, use a piece of flat plastic, or the sole of your shoe, etc, as a wrench to turn it with the crenelations for grip.

walterr839

Enlightened
I couldn't make up my mind either. I liked the infinitley variable ring control of the RRT21 and the tail cap switch of the XT11 so I wound up with both. The RRT21 doesn't throw as far as the XT11 but I love the ring control. it remembers where you leave the ring unlike the XT11 which always comes on full bright (as a tactical light should). I like the feel of the Jetbeam in my hand better. I can't speak as to battery life. Overall they are both great lights.

shahzh

Newly Enlightened
I have the XT11 too. Well built and its very bright. Its true about the anti-roll ring which is easily prone to crack. But thats about the only complaint I have. Regarding the removing of bezel, it's difficult because there's an o-ring attach to it. Without the o-ring its much more easier, It won't interfere with the waterproofing for sure. Get both the XT11 & RRT21 then:naughty:

RBWNY

Enlightened
I have the RRT-21. Very nice! Obviously it doesn't sport the double-switch, but operates as you would expect, with the variable ring-control. One thing I would change, is that the low, isn't very low. On mine at least, I'd say the lowest it'll go is probably about 3 lumens. Most of my lights go way below that. The other issue I have is the clip. Oh it's darn sturdy....but the width of the bezel gets in the way when you're trying to attach the clip, and as I said, the clip is REALLY tight. Overall a very nice light. Tailstands, good clicky, nice strong beam and has easy access to the strobe mode if desired.

Good luck deciding :thumbsup:.

peteschlabar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your responses. I would love to purchase both, but my wife would kill me :p
Can the XT11 tail stand?
Is the diode in the XT11 that much better, and, can you replace the diode in the RRT21?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS to madecov:

To get the bezel off, use a piece of flat plastic, or the sole of your shoe, etc, as a wrench to turn it with the crenelations for grip.

Tried all that, I think mine was installed with a power tool

aau007

Enlightened
Wow. I can see why it is so hard to decide, especially if you have a liking (but not necessarily a must) of infinite variable control.

It would have been perfect if Klarus uses the JB's old IBS interface on the main switch.

peteschlabar

Newly Enlightened
Since I'm new my posts are delayed, so I apologize if this shows up as a double post...

I went ahead and decided on the RRT-21 :D

Can't wait to get it! Thanks for all the info here, but I still have a question: could the U2 LED be put in the RRT-21, and will that be of any benefit?

Thanks.

jake25

Enlightened
I have the XT-11 and love it. The bezel on mine is so tight I can't get it off. The switch is an excellent design. I have no experience with jetbeam
This was an issue in the first run due to Klarus putting an extra oring inside the bezel. What you have to do it take a clamp to it and squeeze the head enough to break the vacuum. It's not glue that's holding it down.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There's a vacuum inside the XT11 head?

Wow, would not have expected that kind of detail, kind of cool actually.

The XT11 throws more light, further, and has a tactically biased UI (Comes on bright, no memory)...so if you want that (LEO, home defense, or other environment where you WANT full brightness as the default, etc...), its perfect...and with a click or two, it is adjustable down to as little as 10 lumens.

If you use the light where you don't need as much light, and you don't need to see as far, and you are more worried about TOO MUCH when turning it on than not enough...a non-tactical UI is preferred.

For example, I primarily do forensic investigations...and full brightness IS my default need, and the XT11 is my EDC.

I have OTHER lights for banging around the house, doing search and rescue/disaster response, etc...because I like a lot of tools in my tool box.

:D

Last edited:

peteschlabar

Newly Enlightened
Received the RRT-21, along with white diffuser and green filter. Love it! Still wondering if anyone can make a gunmetal crenulated bezel for it...

Does anyone know if a 3000mah 18650 is any better than a 2400mah for this light? I'm not real familiar with power options. Thanks.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, didn't realize that at first :(

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the RRT-21, along with white diffuser and green filter. Love it! Still wondering if anyone can make a gunmetal crenulated bezel for it...

Does anyone know if a 3000mah 18650 is any better than a 2400mah for this light? I'm not real familiar with power options. Thanks.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, didn't realize that at first :(

The higher the mah number the longer the run time.

Latest posts