Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

fyrstormer

Banned
I gotta be honest, the IMR18350s don't really appeal to me. They hold the same charge as an RCR16340 in a larger package. RCRs are perfectly safe as long as the protection circuits aren't bypassed and they aren't allowed to sit and self-discharge for months on end. I only use IMRs when I need super-high output.

Larbo

Enlightened
My TC-R1 with trits installed :naughty:
11-Trits_Installed_M.jpg

Trits lighting at midnight
13-Trit_Lighting_M.jpg

Very nice! Did you use norland? I have some on the way, gonna see what I can do with 2x8s, or maybe just use 1.5x5s, Not going to use a lanyard so it wont be a factor.

skatenut

Newly Enlightened
Received my TCR-1 today at an introductory price limited to the first few orders. Nice, light, smooooth, in short, Ti! I love Ti lights and much prefer the TCR-1 over my recently received Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with the truly galling pita switch, which tuned out to be a disappointment. JetBeam proved to be smart enough to go for a pure rotary switch with no galling of Ti on a Ti clicky, smart move!

Really look forward to night-time today!

Might have to buy a second TCR-1, to have one as a display-case queen. :)

I will certainly refrain from buying a Sunwayman Ti light for a long time, especially after the disappointment with the Ti+ and the Ti². :eek:

JPHIII

Newly Enlightened
Do not forget to Check-out that stellar Jetbeam "Do Not Drop" Warranty policy before you invest 200 Bones on this flashlight...I'm, just sayin...

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not forget to Check-out that stellar Jetbeam "Do Not Drop" Warranty policy before you invest 200 Bones on this flashlight...I'm, just sayin...

INACCURATE COMMENTS DELETED.

Last edited by a moderator:

aau007

Enlightened
You must enlighten me on this. I downloaded the TCR1 manual from JB's main web site and there is nothing I can find in the warranty section about any sort of "Do Not Drop" warranty policy.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Received my TCR-1 today at an introductory price limited to the first few orders. Nice, light, smooooth, in short, Ti! I love Ti lights and much prefer the TCR-1 over my recently received Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with the truly galling pita switch, which tuned out to be a disappointment. JetBeam proved to be smart enough to go for a pure rotary switch with no galling of Ti on a Ti clicky, smart move!

Really look forward to night-time today!

Might have to buy a second TCR-1, to have one as a display-case queen. :)

I will certainly refrain from buying a Sunwayman Ti light for a long time, especially after the disappointment with the Ti+ and the Ti². :eek:
The problem with the V10R switch has less to do with the metal on metal contact than it does with poor execution - too short a distance for contact to keep it from tilting, too loose on the fit, exacerbating the first problem, and poor finishing.

If JetBeam were to have done the V10R design I'm 100% positive there would be few if any complaints over their switching.

aau007

Enlightened
If JetBeam were to have done the V10R design I'm 100% positive there would be few if any complaints over their switching.

Doesn't the JB TCR3 have the Ti button at the tail? Did people ever complain about it for something similar?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Doesn't the JB TCR3 have the Ti button at the tail? Did people ever complain about it for something similar?
Had a couple TCR2's, but don't remember much about them since I got rid of them right away. I can definitely say though that the titanium finish work that JetBeam does is light years ahead of what Sunwayman turns out.

fyrstormer

Banned
I love Ti lights and much prefer the TCR-1 over my recently received Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with the truly galling pita switch, which tuned out to be a disappointment. JetBeam proved to be smart enough to go for a pure rotary switch with no galling of Ti on a Ti clicky, smart move!
The ring on the TC-R1 is Ti-on-Ti, and the threads are Ti-on-Ti as well. There is plenty of opportunity for galling on this light, if it isn't lubricated properly.

fyrstormer

Banned
The problem with the V10R switch has less to do with the metal on metal contact than it does with poor execution - too short a distance for contact to keep it from tilting, too loose on the fit, exacerbating the first problem, and poor finishing.
The V10R needs an O-ring around the switch cover, to keep it centered in the retaining ring. That would eliminate the problem completely. I have a couple other lights with Ti switch covers and this is the way they prevent the switch scraping against the retaining ring.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The V10R needs an O-ring around the switch cover, to keep it centered in the retaining ring. That would eliminate the problem completely. I have a couple other lights with Ti switch covers and this is the way they prevent the switch scraping against the retaining ring.

Sounds like that would be the simplest, most fool-proof fix for Ti on Ti.

Also, I have to agree with the other forum members who said it: I don't really see the point of a keychain attachment on a light this size. Sure, you can put a split ring in it and add a lanyard (I like short lanyards on small lights, just a piece of Paracord with a knot), but the lights ported large enough to accept a strand of Paracord seem more practical to me.

Oh, and the only other drawback to owning a TCR-1: I really need to order a safe queen like I keep saying. The light is just too nice not to use, and too nice to not have a backup!

fyrstormer

Banned
That's how I feel about my TC-R2 and my Ti Aeon; I've got backup lights chilling in my fire safe, just in case. The TC-R1 is a nice light and I think it will prove to be very durable, but using it for a few days has confirmed that I really prefer my EDC to have a button and a clip. My TC-R1 will definitely get used, but I'll have to hunt around for the perfect spot to put it so I can use it on a regular basis.

I like the way polished titanium looks, but I think it's actually counterproductive to polish a tool that's meant to be used, if the polish isn't necessary for proper functioning. The polished finish makes the TC-R1 seem like it's more delicate than it really is; I doubt you'll actually need a backup, except in case of loss of course.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That would be one way to address the problem, but sufficeient linear bearing surface with better finish and tolerances would work well enough too.

Darksoul

Newly Enlightened
Hello everbody! A week ago i received my TC-R1. Here are some pictures:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1101/0001bm.jpg
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2135/0002dp.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5462/0005re.jpg
The low is indeed really low!

[url]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8228/0007al.jpg[/url]

I use AW ICR123, but if i put him from off tho the highest output the light goes off.
Is this because the led need more amp's then te battery can deliver?

I'm waiting for my AW IMR 18350's, will that solve the problem?

But what a little nice light is this! Overal very happy with it! :)

[COLOR="blue"]
Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See [URL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/Rules.html#siglines"]Rule #3[/URL] If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

fyrstormer

Banned
Yes, the battery will shut off if you pull too much power from it. However, I use the same battery and I have no issues. Try an unprotected battery to see if it also causes the light to shut off on the highest setting.

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened
Got my TCR1 (#264/1000) the same day the forums went down so I hadn't had a chance to share my first impressions.

I didn't like how it looks in the photos but it looks much better in person. Finish on the light is almost perfect but when I got mine the ring was very stiff and gritty. In fact it was so gritty that it was impossible to feel the notches at the beginning and end of the rotation and the brightness regulation was jumpy. Thankfully it gets better with use and with some hot soapy water and few drops of Krytox the stiffness is gone and the ring is almost buttery smooth. I've tested the light in my pocket through entire day of walking and had no accidental activations even with the loosened and smoothed out ring.

The light seems to have no problem with staying on on the highest brightness. I've tested it for 2 minutes with freshly off the charge AW ICR 16340, used AW ICR 16340 and with new Sanyo primary CR123. It got quite hot with 16340s but it didn't shut off. I had battery contact issues (the flashlight would blink when shaken) and had to clean the contacts in the flashlight, after that everything was ok. At one point while playing with it I thought that it is shutting off but it turns out I accidentally accessed SOS mode :D

Overall I'm very pleased with the light and It seems to be much higher quality than V10R Ti+ that I got before the JetBeam and had to send it back because of the damaged reflector (I was willing to overlook the rest of this light problems but glue on the surface of the reflector is hard to ignore.) Now I'm happy it was damaged because if I didn't send it back I would not have bought a great little light that is TCR1.