JIL-CR2 1.3w (3.6 volt rechargeable?)

wsaxton

Newly Enlightened
Will the JIL-CR2 1.3w work with a 3.6 volt rechargeable battery? Sorry if this has already been answered.
Thanks,
Bill

baram

Newly Enlightened
NOT recommended. Micro Puck,the converter used in Jil-CR2 1.3W allows Max 3.0V of input voltage. So nobody tested the converter stands higher voltage over 3.0 Volts.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all due respect to baram, Charlie, (Mr. Bulk), and others have tried the JIL REV using 3.6, (4.2V fresh off the charger), RCR2's with no immediate damage and the thing was BRIGHT! It got very hot but worked fine.

alberto

Enlightened
baram:

Are there battery size issues with the JIL CR2? I was looking at a Google-translated version of the Korean www.jillite.com site and one of the forum posts seemed to suggest that some batteries, such as Panasonic, might be a little to large for the JIL CR2. Since I'm going to purchase some spares soon for my JIL, it would be good to know if some brands are too large.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
With all due respect to baram, Charlie, (Mr. Bulk), and others have tried the JIL REV using 3.6, (4.2V fresh off the charger), RCR2's with no immediate damage and the thing was BRIGHT! It got very hot but worked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you said Charlie tested the Jil rev, which is direct drive - no converter to damage. The regular Jil uses the micropuck converter and this is limited to 3V input.

Chrisse

Monolith

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify - Charlie (Mr. Bulk) used the rechargeables in the direct drive rev. He is not recommending using rechargeables in lights with circuits such as the JIL 1.3watt. Charlie is a fan of overdriving the LED and not a fan of overdriving circuitry. So, for the little JIL, go for it! But for the big JIL, not recommended.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah, at best you would bypass the Puck converter and it would be as bright as the Rev DD model. But long term effects on the MicroPuck are not known, ya might just end up with a longer-bodied Rev DD forever, with a dead Puck inside...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for correcting me gents and my apologies to all! I've seen so many posts lately about the JIL REV, that when I saw Bill's thread and saw "JIL", I incorrectly assumed he was inquiring about the REV. Man, both of these JIL lights have been shaking up the CPF world!

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Modders try lots of stuff, but they can probably fix what blows, while I cannot...one Rev2 DD will have to do for me, I'm afraid. BTW, where's that list at?

Joseph

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
alberto said:
baram:

Are there battery size issues with the JIL CR2? I was looking at a Google-translated version of the Korean www.jillite.com site and one of the forum posts seemed to suggest that some batteries, such as Panasonic, might be a little to large for the JIL CR2. Since I'm going to purchase some spares soon for my JIL, it would be good to know if some brands are too large.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baram seems to be busy. Let me help you on behalf of him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hunsu didn't like battery rattling inside the light so he made them snug fit to Sanyo CR2.
Panasonic CR2 has the widest diameter among those easily found CR2s, which gives tight fit to jiilites.

So when you buy spares, go for Sanyos. They will fit perfectly. (No difference between them in performance)

Joseph

alberto

Enlightened
Joseph:

Thanks, that helps a lot. I may go with the rechargeables. I'm assuming that there are no size issues with them because I haven't seen it mentioned here.