Joined today just to get help finding this SMD LED

supremekizzle

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm trying to find this SMD LED and was hoping someone here could help. It's for a car light switch that is green and I want to make it red. It has two LEDs intergrated into one unit and has four contacts. The only leds I can find that even look similar have two different colors. I need one. Anyone able to help? Would really appreciate it.

Here is a picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9X5Kpe-7UfadmRxSktrZVkzdUE/view?usp=sharing

The only other option I have found is to wire up long lead leds and I dont really want to do that.

Here is the alternative: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9X5Kpe-7UfaMEFMRGJQWGJES1k/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks to me that they are using a bi-color LED but only using one color of it, the other perhaps being for a different switch option in the same configuration.
Test for polarity and then you can solder any smd LED you desire across the pads that are used, omitting the 3rd pad completely.

supremekizzle

Newly Enlightened
It looks to me that they are using a bi-color LED but only using one color of it, the other perhaps being for a different switch option in the same configuration.
Test for polarity and then you can solder any smd LED you desire across the pads that are used, omitting the 3rd pad completely.

Sorry. The picture is a little dark so it looks like there are 3 pads. There are in fact four. It looks to be two per LED. It's easy to find bi colored LEDs but I haven't been able to find single colored led with four pads. Both being the same color. Might be a custom job that was made for this auto manufacturer. Next I'm going to order some of these: http://coolstuffs.org/led-smd-guide/led-smd-guide-9/

And see if I can solder them side by side. The hard part will be insulating the pads so they don't contact each other on the same side. Or would that be OK? Would the voltage just evenly distribute itself? Thanks for your response :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the trace and see if the pads are connected to each other and in what way.
Have you fired the LEDs while the board is exposed to see if both LEDs in the component actually function? If only one of the 2 do, then the 2nd LED is moot.

supremekizzle

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the trace and see if the pads are connected to each other and in what way.
Have you fired the LEDs while the board is exposed to see if both LEDs in the component actually function? If only one of the 2 do, then the 2nd LED is moot.

Yes. Both LEDs function and both are green.

I'm starting to see why people just wired up long lead LEDs with an inline resistor.....

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, check polarity on both and then just soldering 2 LEDs that fit SHOULD do the trick. Only worry I'd have is making sure the new and old LEDs voltages match. Red LEDs in that size can often only be in the 2v range rather than the +3v that green, blue/white operate at.

supremekizzle

Newly Enlightened
Ok, check polarity on both and then just soldering 2 LEDs that fit SHOULD do the trick. Only worry I'd have is making sure the new and old LEDs voltages match. Red LEDs in that size can often only be in the 2v range rather than the +3v that green, blue/white operate at.

How bad is that extra volt? I can deal with shortened life as long as it doesn't poof on initial power applied. Thanks for your help :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's where things get tricky... with that extra volt comes extra current, and that's what kills the LED.
Order a couple, if they turn orange when you turn it on, you need a dropping resistor.
Try to find an LED that's as close and there's a good chance you'll get lucky and everything will be fine. :) I've done tons of these mods over the yrs and at these lower power smd LEDs, I rarely have issues.
& you're quite welcome! That's what the forum is here for! :welcome: