Just a heads up. XM-L2 Spark headlamps available

brandocommando

Enlightened
There are a lot of new headlamps coming out lately. I have been watching closely, because I was in need of a new one after giving my last one away to a friend.

The ST line of sparks have always been my favorite design, simple, compact, and reliable. I was one of the first to get one of these when they became available a few years ago. I love the design, and IMHO, there is still nothing out there that even comes close to comparing. For me, it is really important that there are no wires running around to the back of the head strap. The wires get hung up on the brush in the woods... Also, I like having the button on the top of the unit, it is easier to operate one handed.

I use headlamps a lot, for fishing, hunting, hiking, and doing stuff around the house.

Well, although these are not even listed on Sparks homepage, and I have not seen mention of them anywhere, they are now available through goinggear with the new XM-L2 led. I just contacted them and confirmed it. It's the new LED.

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/he...-l-neutral-white-460-lumen-headlamp-7429.html

I just ordered one, and with the black friday coupon code it was about $85 shipped, as I type this, there are 2 left..

I am not endorsed by Spark, or goinggear, I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on the new version of what I believe is the best headlamp on the market.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at these for a few weeks doing a little research. I wonder how the tint is on these? I am torn between this one and the 2-AA NW Spark.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Mine shipped today, ( I got the NW version) so I will be able to post some impressions and beamshots in a few days for you.

This is my first XM-L2 purchase, so I am not really sure what it's gonna look like.

I'll let you know.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I have a few Sparks. ST5 190 NW and a SD52 nw. The Tint is good!
The mode memory and reliability of the 52 is questionable. I wonder if Spark has solved these issues?

Littlelantern

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my second spark sd6 headlamp last week,other than my favorite minimus vision,the sparks sd 6 hold a special position in my headlamp collection.It 's totally versatile headlamp,if the electronic inside malfunction,you open it up and generous large inner section of the sd6 permits you to to some repair job of your own .

kxhonda

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering when they were going to update their light with an Xm-L2. I've been looking for the perfect headlamp for quite some time now and had it narrowed down to a ST6-460nw but was frustrated that hadn't yet updated them. I was just about ready to buy one and sent it to vinhnguyen54 to have him swap in a 5000k XM-L2. This excites me!!

brandocommando

Enlightened
I got mine. A little to busy to do beamshots right now, but it's a nice unit. The tint is ok, a little on the yellow side but not to bad. It is a NW, so it's to be expected a little bit. The color rendition outdoors is excellent.

Some things that I am pretty sure are different from my original version...

Old version: Turn it off in turbo mode, and it turned on in turbo mode. (I am pretty sure, but not 100%)
New version: Turn it off in turbo mode, and it turns on in high, not turbo.

Old version: Difference between high and turbo was barley noticeable.
New version: There seems to be a bigger difference between hi and turbo now..

Old version: Low was fairly low, but not REALLY low...
New version: Low is seems REALLY low now. I think it is a lot lower, but also not 100% sure, I am going from memory.

New version: Pressing and holding the button causes the light to immediately go to low every time before it starts cycling through the modes.
Old version: I don't think the old version reverted to low every time.

New version: A quick double press goes to turbo, another double press puts you into whatever mode it was in before you went to turbo.
Old version: I can't remember what it did..

New version comes with a frosted lens!

I am really enjoying this headlamp, and am looking forward to taking it to the coast this weekend and doing some night fishing and crabbing in my boat with it!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SO I take it that you got the Spark ST - 460NW XM-L2? How is it as far as being heavy on your head? I am torn between this one and the 2-AA version. They have different types of bezel heads.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Well, I don't jog or anything but I am pretty active with it. I have zero complaints and for me it stays put great, the headband is really good, and the top strap helps also. If it were any heavier I think it would start to become an issue, but as it is now I think it is totally fine.

It has a little weight to it, but it also has great battery life and is twice as bright...

I did get the Neutral White version, yes.

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
(1) If someone has one of the XM-L2 cool white Spark headlamps, may I ask you to comment on the tint ?

(2) brandocommando, how does the tint of your nw XM-L2 compare to this tint from a NW SG3 XM-L ?

http://i.imgur.com/etLYdwD.jpg

(photo taken indoors of the SG3-NW from this link)

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the 2-AA SD52NW Spark and it is on the white side of neutral. Very nice tint. No blues. Your photo above looks more like a warm tint to me. I like it!

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I just got the 2-AA SD52NW Spark and it is on the white side of neutral. Very nice tint. No blues. Your photo above looks more like a warm tint to me. I like it!

Thank you for your input
icon14.gif

Goinggear might be the only U.S. retailer carrying the NW XM-L2 SG5; sbflashlights has only ever carried the CW SG5 (available now in XM-L2), I believe.

Would it be reasonable to expect that the NW XM-L2 SG5 would have the same "white side of neutral" tint as your XM-L2 SD52NW ? That photo I shared that was taken by someone else is of the XM-L NW SG3. So maybe the XM-L2 NW leds Spark is currently using are less yellow ?

I have a 4sevens MiNi AA high CRI warm white. But while I enjoy its tint, I decided it is impractical for me as an EDC because I need an EDC that I can use both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors in a major city the warm white tint is not useful for me because it makes everything look copper colored.

My current impression is that a tint of a NW like my Nichia 219 L3 AA might be approximately the warmest that I can use outdoors.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own Nichia 219 lights as well. I think the Spark SG52NW displays more white than the Nichia 219's. The Nichias that I have are almost clear, and do not display any white that I can see. I should aslo clarify that the LED in my Spark SD52NW is the XM-L, not the XM-L2. I also only use 2-AA Duraloops in it. I have not tried to use any 14500 cells inside the headlamp, yet. :)

brandocommando

Enlightened
OK, here is a little comparison. When I first got the headlamp I thought it was really yellow, but the more I used it the more I realized I really liked it!

Here are some pictures of some comparably tinted lights I have, From left to right:

Spark XM-L2 headlamp // NW Fenix LD40 (old version with NW XP-G) // Solarforce with HCRI XP-G module that I made. // 6P with 3000K XM-L module from Nailbender.

These three pics are all on different camera settings. They all are showing up a little more "orange-ish" then they are in real life, but you get a good comparison anyways..

Overall I think it has a really good tint.

I have a Nichia 219 HDS on order, I can do another comparison with that once it arrives. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks!

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for doing this for us! The tint on your Spark looks just like my SD52NW. I have only run it on 2-AA's so far, but it looks exactly like your photo. It really is a true neutral tint.

speedsix

Enlightened
I just got a SD6-480nw to replace my crappy ST6-280nw. I like the tint on the ST and I liked the switch on top but I prefer everything else about the SD series. My ST had overheating problems and poor runtime. I like pure flood so the ST6 with the reflector removed was ok but the SD comes the way I want it and doesn't have the big knob hanging off the end which causes the light to torque on your forehead.

I never use the turbo on my SD6 because high or even medium is fine. With the ST6 I always had to use the highest mode to see well. It would get hot and shutdown. It had design problems ( for me at least ) and construction problems. I gave Spark another chance and was happy I did. The SD-6 with the XL-L2 in NW is my current fav headlight. I also just got an Armytek Wizard Pro Wide in cool white.

I like the Wizard a lot. Wish I had gone with the neutral just because it is a more pleasant tint to use. I'm fine with the cool white but compared to the Spark, I simply prefer to use the warmer tint. I'm not a tint snob by any means but when you have the choice,you tend to choose the nicer tint. I had a Terralux 80 in warm high CRI and it was actually too warm for my taste. It made everything a sickly yellow/orange and I didn't care for it.

The Wizard does not have the even flood that the Spark SD6 has. There is a noticable and annoying (to me for up close work) hotspot. The Wizard would make a better all purpose light because it is brighter and throws a little further. The Spark SD6 suits my needs very well. I need a headlamp for arms length work. I want pure flood in my entire field of vision. Throw means nothing to me for my work headlamp.