Just got my Fenix L2D Q5

tennisplyr3

Newly Enlightened
Oh my goodness! This was given to me as a graduation present from my friends, and I cannot express just how delighted I am to have received this light!

The pictures did not accurately reflect how big this thing actually is -- I had to hold it in my hand to realize how compact this light actually is. Because I'm used to long periods of no electricity from hurricanes, I've used all sorts of conventional krypton-bulb containing flashlights that use the large D cell batteries and the even larger 6V lantern battery. I'm so used to the light levels dropping immediately, having many artifacts in the beam pattern, and replacing the battery very often.

This light is amaaaaazing! It's so bright! I can't believe that the low mode is as bright as the output of some of the D-cell using flashlights -- and on top of that, a rated 55 hour output -- as compared to 5-6 hours of steadily decreasing output in my past lights. They've really come a long way in terms of advancements in LED technology.

My only question is why the light seems to emit a very high-pitched and sustained squealing sound whenever I switch it on into turbo-mode. Any takers?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, i've got one, too !

:thumbsup:

Mine is the "lowly" P4-bin, original model,

and it's GREAT !

(said in my best Tony-the-Tiger imitation)

Really handy how the Low-mode is plenty bright and useful
for so many things.

And, even on plain ol' Alkalines, it'll last for more than Two Days ! ! !

:)

Oh, by the way . . . .

Congratulations on yer' Graduation ! :party:

_

fleetparadox

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't help but notice your screen name was "Tennis Player".

I'm an avid player too and always carry my L2D Q5 with me onto the courts when I'm playing near sundown. After playing till the lights go off, isn't it great to whip out the L2D and share some lumens with everyone who needs to find loose balls and stuff under the bench?

I think I've used my torches on the court more anywhere else! (besides around the house).

Just had to share that pleasure with someone else who probably does the same thing.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, even my friend's 380$ Wolf-Eyes Storm make humming noise. But so far Fenix was noise free. :(

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine L2D's are quiet but some of my other lights have made that high pitched noise.

Delta

Enlightened
Now you need the forward-clicky from Fenix-Store. Makes it great!!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations!

Fenix L2D Q5 is the best 2xAA, in my opinion!

I love mine... and it doesn´t make any noise.

Enjoy your little light! :party:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D makes a distinct noise on turbo, though it comes from the tailcap, not the head where the boost circuit is located.

Apart from that, it's a great light! Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
My L2D makes a distinct noise on turbo, though it comes from the tailcap, not the head where the boost circuit is located.

The sound is easiest to hear through the thinner rubber boot at the tailcap. It actually is coming from the head.

tennisplyr3

Newly Enlightened
The sound is easiest to hear through the thinner rubber boot at the tailcap. It actually is coming from the head.

Thanks for clearing things up. I was hearing the high-pitched sound from both the tail and the head regions.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the light!

As for the sound, it is probably from the circuit in the light. Does it change pitch with different modes?

Anyone know if the newer Fenix light use PWM?(I hope not)

:welcome:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D100 doesn't make the noise, but my L1Tv2rb80 in a 2xAA config does. Very low though, I need to bring it next to my ear to hear it. Sometimes tapping it against my palm will cause it to go away, which makes me think it's just something "loose" reacting to the boost circuit.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the light!

As for the sound, it is probably from the circuit in the light. Does it change pitch with different modes?

Anyone know if the newer Fenix light use PWM?(I hope not)

:welcome:

Only the LOD uses PWM for constant on modes (others use only for strobe and SOS)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i only experienced a whining screeching noise once with one of my lights and it was when i used an old battery that was 10 years old, when i put one in that new it was fine, just my 2 cents

mighty82

Enlightened
I have 3 L2D/L1D's and none of them makes any noise at any level. The only noisy flashligh I have is the L0D. That horrible pwm noise.

tennisplyr3

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I'll admit that I haven't taken it to the tennis courts just yet. That would be a good idea if I play at night though.

I'm using Energizer Rechargeable 2500 mAh 1.2V NiMH batteries. Maybe that has something to do with it? I currently don't have any AA's on me besides these.

And it's only when it's in turbo mode or strobe mode that it emits a high frequency whine.

I was thinking about ordering some new rechargeable batteries (w/ a charger) for this light. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think I've read about Eneloops or something? Any idea where to buy from/coupon codes/etc?