Just ordered HDS High CRI Clicky... can't wait!

Reimball

Newly Enlightened
Like some others it was between the High CRI Clicky and the 170 Clicky. I ended up ordering the 170 from Henry on Thursday. It will be my first HDS light so I figured I can complement it with the High CRI Clicky or Twisty in the future. I hope it ships as quickly as some others have.

bigfoot

Enlightened
My High CRI Clicky showed up today! :party:
This is an AWESOME light!!

4876828055_2498742dd6.jpg

4876827993_41b42c995a.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
m3flies, I hope you don't mind I stole a line from one of your posts in the main clicky thread and stuck it in my sigline. It's a great line. I wish the whole statement fit down there. ;)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Took the Clicky outside last night and, pun intended, that is where this light really shines.

:grin2:

I could easily spot ripe tomatoes in the garden. Green grass in the yard looked like, well, green grass. Even faded yellow tennis balls looked faded yellow!

Harry999

Enlightened
bigfoot

I'm really pleased you have this great light. All the waiting was worth it wasn't it? :twothumbs

bigfoot

Enlightened
I posted some additional photos in the "Flashlight Collection" sub-forum, but here is one of them. I took this while on default medium mode, with the Clicky about 6-8 inches away from the map, and let the camera's timed exposure do the work (on a tripod). The colors are spot-on, and detail is easy to pick out.

4880801320_06548a2086.jpg

Hellbore

Enlightened
It's fun how warm has gotten popular in the LED community, maybe very high CRI (not just warm) will be the next craze and spread to other lights besides HDS! But as of right now, I have not seen any other light claim this high of a CRI rating!

Does anyone know what kind of emitter this light uses? Is it a secret or something?

To what do we owe the warm craze anyway? Is it just that lm/watt finally improved to the point that we had enough to spare to lose a few lumens in return for having a better tint? I know some people have always been picky about tint but I never was in my early flashlight collecting days, all I cared about was output.. I think I remember days when LED's just didn't have lumens to spare, you were lucky if your LED flashlight was as bright as your incan, blue tint and all :) I myself have been using LED flashlights now for so long that I almost forgot how much nicer a warm tint is!

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
It's fun how warm has gotten popular in the LED community, maybe very high CRI (not just warm) will be the next craze and spread to other lights besides HDS! But as of right now, I have not seen any other light claim this high of a CRI rating!

Does anyone know what kind of emitter this light uses? Is it a secret or something?

To what do we owe the warm craze anyway? Is it just that lm/watt finally improved to the point that we had enough to spare to lose a few lumens in return for having a better tint? I know some people have always been picky about tint but I never was in my early flashlight collecting days, all I cared about was output.. I think I remember days when LED's just didn't have lumens to spare, you were lucky if your LED flashlight was as bright as your incan, blue tint and all :) I myself have been using LED flashlights now for so long that I almost forgot how much nicer a warm tint is!

Its no secret at all, a seoul SSC p4 CRI 93

I think we've gotten to the point where people realize they have enough light to get the job done so now were focusing on other things to complain about like tint and color rendition

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely a warm white LED convert. I think before I mentally associated warm white with dim incandescents and cool white with bright LEDs, and so I subconsciously rejected warm tints as inferior even though they offer many benefits. But now that I've seen high CRI for myself, I never want anything else. Even my gorgeously tinted neutral white Quark MiNi looks blue compared to my high CRI Clicky.

I hope more companies offer high CRI in the future (I think HDS and McGizmo are the only ones to offer it at the moment). Otherwise I'm going to have very limited options in the future.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I'm definitely a warm white LED convert. I think before I mentally associated warm white with dim incandescents and cool with bright LEDs, and so I subconsciously rejected warm tints as inferior even though they offer many benefits.
Me to, I associated cold blue with cutting edge tech, and actuallly liked the tint, but now Im coming full circle and appreciate warm tints, my Muyshondt Aeon has a very nice warm XRE R2 and ive become rather spoiled with it. my HDS170 is much colder but still very useable.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Wow really it's just an SSC P4 emitter? That's really interesting! I sure liked my SSC P4 Magled mod on my Maglite, maybe I can do another with a high CRI emitter :)

But I will probably just order a high CRI Ra instead... I seem to recall that gluing the P4 to its heatsink was a bit dicey because the metal base of the package carried positive voltage so if you're not careful with your application of thermal epoxy you short the driver out :)

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
A comment and a question:

1) I, too, loved LEDs because of their "pure white" tint, and, as Craig says, "no puke-colored, rotten urine tint here!" Once I started with my Dereelight Q3 5A there was no going back. I have withheld new flashlight purchases for many months waiting for a bright li-ion powered high CRI light. That having been said-

2) If I decide to purchase an HDS high CRI with 17670, I will use it in the woods on hikes/walks with friends. I have no doubt 100 lumens will suffice for seeing the trail and interesting plants/critters along the way. However, will I need a dedicated thrower in tandem with the HDS?

Nocam

Newly Enlightened
Personally, run time triumphs over lumens if I am to be out in the wilderness. I think you will be fine with 100 lumens and a 17670 tube, but if you desire to see further...then feed the addiction :crackup:

A comment and a question:

1) I, too, loved LEDs because of their "pure white" tint, and, as Craig says, "no puke-colored, rotten urine tint here!" Once I started with my Dereelight Q3 5A there was no going back. I have withheld new flashlight purchases for many months waiting for a bright li-ion powered high CRI light. That having been said-

2) If I decide to purchase an HDS high CRI with 17670, I will use it in the woods on hikes/walks with friends. I have no doubt 100 lumens will suffice for seeing the trail and interesting plants/critters along the way. However, will I need a dedicated thrower in tandem with the HDS?