Just ordered HDS High CRI Clicky... can't wait!

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
i have bought a few but none directly from HDS. Just to be clear, you got it TWO days after ordering it?

I see that on their site it says to allow two weeks for building it. I just hate waiting two weeks. Two DAYS is way cooler!

I have never heard of anyone having to wait 2 weeks for their light even though that is what Henry advertises....I got my 170 in 3 days..:twothumbs

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
One more quick question just to make sure im not missing something... Are all the new orders including a black bezel down clip instead of the bezel up clips I have?

And there isnt a CPF discount code im about to miss is there?

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never heard of anyone having to wait 2 weeks for their light even though that is what Henry advertises....I got my 170 in 3 days..:twothumbs
Like I said, I ordered my light last Thursday. Contacted Henry today, and he said it hasn't shipped yet, so it could very well be two-weeks for me. :(

iacchus

Enlightened
One more quick question just to make sure im not missing something... Are all the new orders including a black bezel down clip instead of the bezel up clips I have?

And there isnt a CPF discount code im about to miss is there?

I think it was mentioned that the custom orders come standard with the bezel down clip. I don't know about non custom orders.
I remember because I just placed a custom order and was wondering the same thing.

I don't think there is a discount for direct from HDS orders. Plenty of dealers with them though.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the HDS website, lights that are ordered stock come standard with the big, ugly bezel up clip. Custom lights come standard with the slim, sexy bezel down clip. There apparently used to be a selection on the custom page for choosing your clip, but they don't offer that option any more, so if go custom, it's bezel down only.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
ah i see.

well i ended up going from uniquetitanium with the cpf discount and got what I was looking for anyway for 143.04 shipped instead of 164.00 shipped. Free shipping rocks.

140 Narrow beam, black bezel, standard glass, raised button... from uniquetitanium it only says bezel up clip.. oh well i dont use the clip on my High CRI either and may order a better one when funds are better.

no idea how long it will take from UT instead of HDS, but im unemployed so every little bit helps (shouldnt be buying torches anyway but i have the fever :sick:)

Last edited:

brett09

Newly Enlightened
Just to be clear, you got it TWO days after ordering it?

Yes, less than 72 hours from ordering it to in my hands actually. Im very impressed. Also, I ordered mine custom and it included a black bezel down clip. Very nice :)

edit: i did order it directly from HDS however, so uniquetitanium may include a different clip.

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
I have the High CRI 100 Clicky. I love this particular light for outdoor walks. I've ordered a Custom Ra Twisty 100 High CRI as well as a backup. I already have (as of this morning) a back up to my 170T Clicky in the form of a EDC 140 Twisty so it only seemed right to have a back up for the High CRI 100 Clicky!

I'm going to slow down for a while and enjoy these lights. The High CRI 100 is excellent for close to medium lighting. I actually use the Surefire FO4 beam shaper/diffuser on mine to use as a reading light as well. If I had known how good the High CRI 100 beam was I might not have ordered a range of warm Zebralight headlamps which are still in transit at present 5 weeks on from initial order. The only one I am now really looking forward to is the H501w.

The High CRI 100 has definitely earned a place in my EDC rotation. Combined with a H501, the 170T Clicky, a Surefire LX2/Deerelight Javelin for dedicated general throw and for extreme throw a Thrunite Catapult V2 (although that is carried in a bag when I decide to take it out and might not meet the definition of EDC) I feel all of my lighting needs are met. Throw in a ITP A3 Eos and Fenix EO1 and it really is complete for me. At least until Henry releases a new light/2AA tube! :)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Excellent! Glad to hear it works well for close to medium distance. Sounds like you are accumulating a nice little HDS collection there.

:rolleyes:

Mikellen

Enlightened
I hope its o.k. to post this question here and if not I apologize.

I'm interested in either purchasing a high CRI Twisty or Clicky.
If I decide to purchase either of these 2 lights it will be my first HDS or RA flashlight.

From what I understand the HDS/RA lights have a "parasitic drain" on the battery. Granted it is a very low drain but I was wondering if the "Twisty" and/or "Clicky" can be locked out by either loosening the tail or head thereby eliminating the "parasitic drain".
For instance, this can be done by slightly loosening the tailcap on the Zebralights so I'm hoping there is a way to eliminate the "parasitic drain" on the HDS/RA without removing the battery.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not really. If you unscrew it enough to break the connection, you could also lose the programming. I think. The light would still work, but in default mode.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
The light will not lose it's programming by breaking the connection, it would suck to have to reprogram it every time you change the battery!

As far as parasitic drain, there is a thread in the marketplace I believe where a guy had his flashlight with the locator beacon ON and it ran for something like over 15 months on ONE battery! If there is any parasitic drain it's so negligable it doesn't really matter. To answer your question, you cannot "lock out" like your zebralight, there is a digital lockout instead.

By the way I just got my third one from uniquetitanium today! Wooo hooo!

EDIT found the link regading battery drain with beacon on http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=132584

I was WRONG! it was 3 years, 1 month, 13 days, 23 hours, 37 minutes on one cell!

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer: Yes, the light has a parasitic drain. As far as I know, there's no easy way to lock the light out. Unscrewing the tail cap won't do any good because the switch is actually part of the body, and the tail cap is just a ring holding the rubber boot. And since power appears to be passed through the threads, you'd need to remove the head completely to break the connection.

Now as I understand it, the amount of drain is insignificant to the point that the battery will self-discharge at pretty much the same rate whether it's in the flashlight or not.

In other words, don't worry about it.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that the light will reset if the battery is removed for more than 60 seconds.

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
#14413 High CRI Clicky just arrived today - can't wait till it gets dark to see how it really performs.

Connor

Enlightened
It's my understanding that the light will reset if the battery is removed for more than 60 seconds.

Yes, but that's the "battery detect soft reset" which will NOT make the light forget its settings.

To make the light forget "everything" you programmed into it you need to do a hard reset:

10. Factory Reset
Please feel free to experiment. You can always return to the original
factory settings by following these steps:
• Reset your flashlight - i.e., remove the battery for 60 seconds and
reinstall. Alternatively, you can turn on your flashlight, remove the
battery compartment (your flashlight will turn off) and then reinstall
the battery compartment without waiting. Your flashlight will light
dimly for 7 seconds to indicate the reset.
• Press and hold the button before the dim reset indication turns off.
The light will become brighter for 10 seconds and then turn off.
Release the button when your flashlight turns off.
• Note: your flashlight will display 5 rapid flashes and no settings are
changed if you release the button before your flashlight turns off.
• Note: your flashlight will display 10 very rapid flashes if there is
insufficient power to memorize the original factory settings.

This was copied directly from the EDC Users Guide. :)

-Connor

nbp

Flashaholic

Wrong. There is a difference between a battery reset and a factory reset. The 60 second battery disconnect is a reset and is necessary before enabling customization mode. It also tells the processor to reanalyze the battery to see if it is a primary or rechargeable and how much juice is left in the battery. However this does not restore default settings. The battery reset followed by a press-hold sequence is necessary for the hard reset to factory settings. This reset is indicated by a specified dimming sequence. Please reread the manual. It would be ridiculous to have to reprogram the light after every battery change. I had to correct this misconception in the main clicky thread too. The manual explains it well, please take a look and if there are more questions let us know.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

I think you are misunderstanding the term "reset" in this context. When you put a new battery in the light, the light will glow dimly while the light is determining if the battery is a primary or a RCR123. THis is a quote from fthe manual:

"The light comes on dimly for 5 seconds following a battery change to indicate it is functioning correctly. If you do not see this indication when changing the battery, remove the battery for 60 seconds and try again. Removing the battery for 60 seconds forces your flashlight to "reset"."

The term "reset" here means that the flashlight is "re-determining" which type of battery is in it. This does not mean that it is completely resetting the programming on the light.

To actually "reset" the programming, there are more steps than just removing the battery. Here is a quote from the manual explaining how to reset the actual programming:

"8. Factory Reset
Please feel free to experiment. You can always return to the original factory settings by following these steps:

Reset your flashlight - i.e., remove the battery for 60 seconds and reinstall. Alternatively, you can turn on your flashlight, remove the battery compartment (your flashlight will go out) and then reinstall the battery compartment without waiting. Your flashlight will light dimly for 5 seconds to indicate the reset.
• Press and hold the button before the dim reset indication turns off. The light will become brighter for 10 seconds and then turn off. Release the button when your flashlight turns off.

The blue section is simply resetting the circuit so it will re-calculate which type of battery is in it.

The red section is actually resetting the programming.

I promise, I have three of these lights and I have left batteries out for days on end and the light does not lose its programming. You dont have to be lightening fast and replace a battery within 60 seconds to save your programming. That would be quite inconvenient and nearly impossible to do in the dark!

Here is a link to the user manual so you can see the difference between a battery reset, and a factory programming reset.

http://hdssystems.com/Products/Legacy/Clicky1/ClickyTacticalUsersGuide.pdf

Hope that helps

haha NBP and Connor looks like we were answering at the same time!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Lol, and Connor too! Brasso really got hammered with instructions there. Sorry buddy, hope it all is clear now with three separate explainations. :grin2: