JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU HAVE SEEN IT ALL!!!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the consideration,,too bad you could not have added something more beneficial and interesting!!! :laughing:

Actually, I originally did. But immediately edited my post because I realized it would be blatant thread hijacking.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is what I really wanted to say, so I will say it!!!

What is the point of your sarcastic and provoking post?

Maybe you wanted to get a reaction from it? Some comments[like yours] are BEST ignored, which I obviously did not do!

Well, I've been here long enough that pretty much all of the other regulars know when I'm just joking around with them. I don't troll topics. But honestly, despite what you posted earlier, if you don't actually have a sense of humor; feel free to toss me on your Ignore List.

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't see any harm here, it was a lighthearted comment. Move along folks. :wave:

Illum

Flashaholic
Thank you Illum and jabe1 for adding something relative to the subject matter!!!:D

p.s. Illum,how come the Husky is in second from the last?!!!! He should be out front pulling a sled!!

:)

Not sure, I didn't create the gif, I borrowed it from someone else on here, then that guy disappeared:shrug:
After the forum was updated to the current release, I have forgotten how to edit my sig :ohgeez:

Poppy

Flashaholic
This guy tried to drive his Tractor Trailer through it!!!:shakehead:mecry::crackup: HUGE signs on either side saying, "MAXIMUM HEIGHT 10FT.!!!

WHAT A BONEHEAD!
He had only been driving for 5 days!!

DON'T NEED NO WARNING SIGN, THIS IS A TRUCK..

Fortunately it appears that the damage was to the more easily repaired portions of the bridge. Hopefully it will be OK to use modern wood, and not lumber taken from 200 year old barns, otherwise obtaining ORIGINAL materials will be challenging, and expensive.

Regarding only driving for 5 days, that is why insurance rates are so high for young drivers. Their lack of experience gets them into trouble.

Trucks are of different heights. And bridge clearances should be clearly marked. I drove some straight jobs, and for a short period of time some tractor trailers. My biggest concern with the tractor trailers was to come to a low bridge that wasn't marked far enough away down the road, that I didn't have to back up too far.

Years ago, my dad told me a story. My numbers may be off a bit but the sentiment is the same, There was a rail-road underpass that was clearly marked with a clearance of 14' 3". Many tractor trailers are 13' 6" or 14' high, other's are 14' 6". So some could make it with a little clearance, and others would not. I suppose some 14' 6" boxes might clear if they were heavily loaded.

Experienced drivers from the area wouldn't have a problem (typically). There was a new problem though. The road department re-paved the street, and didn't update the sign with a NEW LOWER CLEARANCE. Ooops! More than once drivers let air out of their tires to lower the load an inch or two so that they could back out from under the overpass.

While driving the back roads of America in my A class motor-home, I'd occasionally come across a small bridge (over a stream) that was marked with a certain load limit perhaps 4 tons or 10 tons, etc. Often there was no marked detour. Also, I may have been driving for miles on that long winding road to get there. There were times that I was sure that I was near the posted limit, but banked on the fact that the bridge was over-engineered, and I'd be safe.

Many parking lots, and fast food drive through establishments have a pipe hanging horizontally by a chain between a pair of stanchions as a clearance marker/indicator. Perhaps something similar should be placed near the entrance to the covered bridge to prevent future inadvertent damages.