JW Speaker 8631 - too cool!

calflash

Enlightened
In my seemingly never-ending quest for LED auxiliary low and high beams, I recently ordered a pair of the JW Speaker 8631 lights. I had a chance to use them on a night run to the desert in my Bronco this weekend and all I can say is WOW! The low beam had no problem convincing me that I was behind the wheel of an exotic and the high beam was an absolute pleasure to drive with. But there was more to make me say wow. Of course, the JW Speaker marketing team saw me coming with this one: a clever design of a "halo" DRL. The LED ring at the outer edge of the light is illuminated to a low intensity white to serve as a front position light. The ring is illuminated to a high intensity white while operating as a DRL. And to top it off, the light provides a turn signal by turning off the white ring and illuminating a high intensity amber ring.

The only problem I ran into was with the mounting. I originally bought a pair of Grote 64011 housings but these lights just did not fit. It was a case of so close but yet so far, as the lights outer diameter is just large enough to not allow the light to rest on the tabs that a sealed beam would set on. This prevented the clamp from being able to be installed in the right location. If you have any suggestions on a better alternative I would love to hear them. I ended up using the JW Speaker 8200001 single ring mount kit but in addition to the extra work required to fabricate a bracket to mount them to, I ran into another wrinkle. The fit was perfect but one of the three adjuster screws and springs on one mount fell out with all of the off-road action. So if you choose to use these as an option, you may want to consider a jam nut or another locking method for the adjusters once the aim is set. I hope my experience is helpful and again, if you have any suggestions for my wrinkles, please share. Thanks.

Travler

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your posting! I too am a proud Bronco owner, 1979 model. I too have been on a search for some lighting upgrades. Both street legal and off road. I think my best option for daily driver lights is to upgrade the headlights to 8900. While I am not fond of the modern appearance, they are top of the line legal upgrade.

calflash

Enlightened
Right on :thumbsup: the first body style of the big Broncos! Mine is a 94 but I sure do like that early big bronco body. I recently put a pair of 8900s in my dad's work truck and they were quite a nice upgrade. I really like the width of the beam. I hope you get to do the upgrade:twothumbs

MadMike

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear you like them, I am considering a pair for my motorcycle. Curious where you picked them up from? So far I have only got a quote from OK4WD for $475 each, yikes! I knew they would be spendy, but that feels a bit high. Thanks, Mike.

calflash

Enlightened
Yea - I'm pretty sure this was a calculated and methodical effort to get in my wallet... And it worked:)

They are spendy for sure. The price for the regular high/low 8630 is not bad, but add roughly 20% for the DRL version of the 8630 and roughly another 20% to get the 8631 and cha-Ching! I actually purchased them from a local distributor instead of online. I saved a bit but I still had to sell a McGizmo and a Lux-rc fl33 to buy them. I guess I'm kind of like a bug flying towards a bug zapper... "Don't look at the light!" ... "I can't help it!" ... ZAP

MadMike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks calflash, this could get expensive! I assume you have your lights mounted to the bumper? If so have you considered something like these for a housing http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/mercha...adwinds01&Category_Code=Headlight_Housings_MC They sell the 8630 on that site, so one could check ahead with them to be sure of fitment. They range from reasonable to insane prices depending on the amount of bling! I kinda like the US Headlights "Viper", looks decent, not to spendy, and is available in black:D

calflash

Enlightened
Thanks MadMike! Nice options - hopefully they do fit!

EDIT: I just watched the video about how to install lights in their housings and the light they use is the 8630 so they do fit. The bezel/lock ring system looks good and I appreciate the efforts to allow for better air flow inside the housing since I had some concerns about the LED lights heat management in the Grote housings. The sale pricing is definitely manageable considering the JW Speaker mounting rings I purchased where not to much less. Thanks for the link and suggestion!!

Last edited: