jw Speaker TS4000

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
No covers included.
Non-scientifically speaking, the TS4000's at the very least doubled or tripled the distance my high-beams illuminated. Without putting them on a road to compare, it would be difficult to say.. I have access to a local football field. Maybe I will try that.
(Disclaimer: I am engaged in an on-going battle with computers, and posting pictures are way above my pay-grade. Checking my emails and keeping up with a few forums pretty well taxes my abilities.)
They are unbelievable.

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
No covers included.
Non-scientifically speaking, the TS4000's at the very least doubled or tripled the distance my high-beams illuminated. Without putting them on a road to compare, it would be difficult to say.. I have access to a local football field. Maybe I will try that.

I appreciate you clarifying that this is a non-scientific discussion. <grin>

They sound interesting. I've been looking at them as a potential solution for the front of my Jeep Wrangler. I may have been mistaken on the plastic covers. Glad you are happy with them.

Mullet

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:
Today, while parked and unattended in a parking lot, my Dodge was struck from the front by an OLD lady who pulled too far into an adjoining parking place and ran into the front of my pickup. Her chrome plated bumper guard thing, whatever it's called, hit one of my TS4000 lights (passenger side) and bent the mounting arm for the driver's side light. The rubber upright on her pickup was up against one of my lights. I think one of the two is history.
When I walked out of the store my wife made the comment that the pickup parked in front of us sure looked pretty close. My first thoughts were the JWSpeaker lights!! Sure enough, the damage was done. I waited until she walked back out of the store and confronted her. I got her driver's info and HER insurance company. They are going to squat little green apples when I show them the receipt for those lights.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
That's too bad, Bill
I tested the TS3000R driving lights a few years ago when they first came out. They were as good as you could reasonably get back then ----- so I'm sure that the 4000s are an improvement. I've never gotten a chance to test the newer lights but would love to.

I forwarded a link to this thread to a few of folks at JWS. I'm sure they'll appreciate feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have very poor night vision after 2 detached retina surgeries.

I also had retinal detachment surgeries, both eyes. Night vision not affected. Any specific reasons why you lost night vision ?
What procedure did they do on you ?

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
I am close to buying the JWS TS4000's but would love to hear from experts on the following questions:

• Most auxiliary lights come with shields or at least stone guards. I've never owned auxiliary lights but presume they are susceptible to damage since they will be hanging off the front bumper of my Jeep Wrangler. Since the TS4000's don't come with either, should I be concerned?
  • In addition, my understanding is that polycarbonate degrades in the sun and general elements. So it would seem that covering the lens from UV Radiation would prolong the life of these lenses, since the majority of driving hours are in daylight for me, during which I will never use the auxiliary lights.

Can one of the moderators or other forum members weigh in on this? These lights are not cheap and I'd like to understand the implications of not having covers or stone guards.

Mullet
Bend, OR

Qship1996

Enlightened
get some of those cheap looking KC highlight yellow vinyl bags that go over your lights,will accomplish both your goals,and as a bonus make your expensive lights less obvious to crooks!

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I went to several local auto parts stores for some el-cheapo covers. None of them had any, and said they aren't really available anymore by themselves. I mentioned the KC ones all over the place, and was told even KC hasn't sold them in a few years.
I too would really like to cover these up as much as I can.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've never owned auxiliary lights but presume they are susceptible to damage since they will be hanging off the front bumper of my Jeep Wrangler. Since the TS4000's don't come with either, should I be concerned?

I don't know that I'd be all that concerned. If your lamps are the furthest-forward projection on the front of your Jeep, then they become the bumpers (for anything that's at their same height) and covers won't protect them. The lenses on the TS-4000 lamps are rugged enough that you're not likely to exit the vehicle some day and find that they've been holed by a road missile (rock). And it's been years since I drove through Bend, OR, but I don't remember it being a very sandy area, so you're not likely to see lens pitting. Still, covers are a nice idea (and in some states they're required); perhaps some "covers, please" feedback to Speaker would be a good idea.

my understanding is that polycarbonate degrades in the sun and general elements. So it would seem that covering the lens from UV Radiation would prolong the life of these lenses, since the majority of driving hours are in daylight for me, during which I will never use the auxiliary lights.

I wouldn't worry much about this, either. This is the other edge of the sword about how LED lamp lenses run cold and so snow can stick to them in some conditions: polycarbonate degradation is dependent on UV exposure x heat. This is why it's so common to see front combination lamps badly hazed in the headlamp portion and largely unhazed in front of the turn signal: same lens material, same coating, same sun exposure, but the turn signal area runs much cooler than the headlamp area. But again, covers certainly aren't a bad idea, and you ought to point out to JW Speaker that a premium lamp at a premium price really should come with them, or at least they should be available.

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
This is great feedback Virgil. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

It's a perfect example of what makes this forum so valuable and interesting. When I get the lights I'll post some pictures/thoughts/non-scientific feedback for others.

(And Virgil, it's about time you made another visit to Bend apparently. If you enjoy good microbrew, the mountains, and the general outdoors, it's not to be missed).

Thanks again.

Mullet
Bend, OR

Sadden

Enlightened
Many of their other models have nice looking black covers available. I wouldnt be surprised if these did as well. Might have to call JW speaker and get the P/N and the contact info for a distributor in your area.

Virgils right though. For the price of these they really should come with the covers...