• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

K40Lvn - The Must Have Thrower

lumentia

Enlightened
Re: Most Popular Thrower of 2015 ;-)

general q.. what does anode stripped to bare silver aluminum do?
Not speaking for Vinh, but he had done it in the past for cosmetic reasons- various degrees of anodizing strippage from partial to full makes it either look rustic / antique or real smooth for those that like the bare silver look with no labels or branding. Fully stripped really helps with heat transfer between the pill, the body and the head, and also with dissipation from flashlight outer surfaces to air.

fatsteve0

Newly Enlightened

thanks :) i always thought that's what it was but for some reason became unsure

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably going to pass on this one, but only because I'm still in love with my K40vn, not sure how or why, but it's the whitest, nicest beam of any of my lights, even though it's no longer the brightest, or the throwiest.

I also tested XPG2 - did less lux than the XPL oddly even though the hotspot did look slightly tighter and brighter to my eyes. I retested to confirm this obviously. Maybe because the XPG2 puts out less overall lumen it made the hot spot look more pronounced.

I've noticed this effect a few times. Even with the beam and hotspot appearing to be tighter, and brighter close up, the performance is lower at a distance.

sbrom

Newly Enlightened

What performance (throw/lumens) is expected from the Nichia option?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably going to pass on this one, but only because I'm still in love with my K40vn, not sure how or why, but it's the whitest, nicest beam of any of my lights, even though it's no longer the brightest, or the throwiest.

I've noticed this effect a few times. Even with the beam and hotspot appearing to be tighter, and brighter close up, the performance is lower at a distance.

If both were top bins and driven equally hard percentage-wise that would indicate a less than ideal focus for the XP-G2. On the TN31mb saabluster spent a good deal of time on getting the de-domed XP-G2 focused. The larger the reflector the harder to get the die in the focal point. You have all of the possible side to side movements as well as in and out movement to deal with. The XP-G2 is not as tall as the XM-L2 so that would pose a problem with that part of the focusing right off the bat. A good example of how important the in/out focus is would be to play with a Maglite. All that happens when you turn the head is that the light source moves in and out. Most of us are familiar with Maglites and how drastic the beam changes by even small movements in/out.

Capolini

Banned

If both were top bins and driven equally hard percentage-wise that would indicate a less than ideal focus for the XP-G2. On the TN31mb saabluster spent a good deal of time on getting the de-domed XP-G2 focused. The larger the reflector the harder to get the die in the focal point. You have all of the possible side to side movements as well as in and out movement to deal with. The XP-G2 is not as tall as the XM-L2 so that would pose a problem with that part of the focusing right off the bat. A good example of how important the in/out focus is would be to play with a Maglite. All that happens when you turn the head is that the light source moves in and out. Most of us are familiar with Maglites and how drastic the beam changes by even small movements in/out.

Thanks for that insight. That came to fruition with my OSTS TN31mb. I got it in December 2013 right after Christmas. The XPG2 S2 bin was the most updated emitter. He kept trying and trying until he was satisfied with the throw. In order to be satisfied it had to EXCEED 430Kcd which was the most throw he got out of his original batches w/ the S1 bin.

He was able to achieve 470Kcd after several attempts, thus meeting his goal.:D I am grateful for his hard work and that mine[according to a conversation w/ Michael] resulted in the one and only one with 470Kcd! The run was over, he had One laying around and I benefited from it!

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

but why would this not work with the m25c2vn turbo. the xml2 u3 pdtc gets 580kcd but the xpg2 pdtc version got like 778kcd way more and it uses the biggest reflector in the led industry so far

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

What performance (throw/lumens) is expected from the Nichia option?

Not impressive for sure unless you must have a HCRI with a tint that is not too warm.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very true, but I mostly meant that our eyes suck when it comes to objectivity. The most drastic example is the Niwalker BKFA01vn that I would have guessed would throw a lot better versus K40vn. It didn't. Not even close. But the niwalker also wasn't driven anywhere near as hard.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like output is quite a bit better. Lumens are up there with tk61vn V4.
True

Seem more than a little. May be because the hot spot is so defined. A noticable step up in terms of brightness and throw from my view. I will do k40vn vs k40lvn tomorrow.
Thank you sir.

I would like to offer my "2 lumens" on this light having tested/played with it and also having owned a k40vn :)

Very nice quality - similar to k40 obviously but rebranded ace beam instead of sup beam.

Seems to generate less heat than the original k40? This could be because now vinh is using thermal pads and copper heatsinking... I ran the K40L for about 5 minutes on high before cranking it down a few clicks. (K40vn was like 3 minutes IIRC). The heat build up seems to be spread out throughout the body better as well. Ok - maybe it generates the same amount of heat but we could say it seems to be better managed than the first run k40vn.

Level 4 (out of 6) was safe to leave running tailstanding. I never recommend leaving lights unattended though so do this at your own risk.

Definately puts out more lumen than the original k40 - I never officially tested a k40vn's lumen output - but I believe it put out around 1350-1400 lumen otf - XPL de-dome beats this now and the PDT has a nicer tint with no hint of any green. My 1st run k40vn did 390,000 lux - some other cpf and blf members reported as high as 480,000 lux but I am not sure how this was measured and with what equipment etc.

This really is a great "base" vinh light - meaning if you don't own any vinh lights and you want to buy a thrower - you should start with this one. If you want a general purpose light - start with the K40mvn. Flooder - tn36vn.

The only flaw is the tail cap - I really wish acebeam would make thumb cut outs like on the k50 and other lights for easier access to the switch - there is an aftermarket assembly option on the marketplace - which works nicely (link) I have sent this to vinh - perhaps he can get a batch order and include this as an option on these lights.

I do not see myself buying one personally - but I have the K50vn fiat lux already :)

I also tested XPG2 - did less lux than the XPL oddly even though the hotspot did look slightly tighter and brighter to my eyes. I retested to confirm this obviously. Maybe because the XPG2 puts out less overall lumen it made the hot spot look more pronounced.
Great info. Thanks man.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Got about 12 lights total in hand by the way

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for that insight. That came to fruition with my OSTS TN31mb. I got it in December 2013 right after Christmas. The XPG2 S2 bin was the most updated emitter. He kept trying and trying until he was satisfied with the throw. In order to be satisfied it had to EXCEED 430Kcd which was the most throw he got out of his original batches w/ the S1 bin.

He was able to achieve 470Kcd after several attempts, thus meeting his goal.:D I am grateful for his hard work and that mine[according to a conversation w/ Michael] resulted in the one and only one with 470Kcd! The run was over, he had One laying around and I benefited from it!

That's great performance. Also, I am fairly sure that saabluster did not overdrive them anywhere near what vinh does. That is a testimony to how well focused it is. Mine was 407k.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

im kinda confused about something here. I thought driving the xpl hard is not as bright as xml2 as the sub-straight is smaller. But we find here in the k40lvn that hes getting 1735 lumens the tk61vn v4 needed over 7 amps to achieve 1650 lumens. I cant imagine the k40lvn is drawing anywhere near 7 amps. if he can get 1700 lumens at 5ish amps wouldn't this be a prime candidate for the m25c2vn Turbo or a maybe he could put it in the tk61vn. if this led can really give this much light at lower amps maybe it would be a more reliable choice for the tk61vn. 1735 lumens in the tk61 reflector would be 800kcd. maybe even more in the m25c2vn Turbo if he can get that brightness with one cell

lumentia

Enlightened

im kinda confused about something here. I thought driving the xpl hard is not as bright as xml2 as the sub-straight is smaller. But we find here in the k40lvn that hes getting 1735 lumens the tk61vn v4 needed over 7 amps to achieve 1650 lumens. I cant imagine the k40lvn is drawing anywhere near 7 amps. if he can get 1700 lumens at 5ish amps wouldn't this be a prime candidate for the m25c2vn Turbo or a maybe he could put it in the tk61vn. if this led can really give this much light at lower amps maybe it would be a more reliable choice for the tk61vn. 1735 lumens in the tk61 reflector would be 800kcd. maybe even more in the m25c2vn Turbo if he can get that brightness with one cell
You touched on the same things I was thinking about... so it got me to wondering if Vinh is using the new Cree flat dome emitters to achieve these results.