keeping flashlights 'loaded'

computernut

Enlightened
I've learned my lesson from having alkalines leak on me with flashlights in storage. Unless the flashlight uses CR123a's or can take L91 AA Lithiums I leave it empty. I have boxes of spare alkalines for emergencies and my most used lights are Surefires so I'm not too worried about my other lights not being 100% at the ready.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple, lights that are used every week, if not everyday, get kept loaded. Lights in storage, or on "display" are unloaded.

Emergency lights should be kept loaded. Personally , i would recommend a single cell Lithium light for car storage, etc, with plenty of spares on hand (surefire's spares carriers work extremely well for this). I personally would also keep the emergency light to a simple on-off one. Most people dont know how to deal with multi modes, and who knows who will need that light in an emergency. Lithium primary cells also have a longer shelf life than alkalines, and are more resilient to heat and cold than alkalines

also, you never have ONE emergency light. have a few.

Something like a solarforce L2 comes to mind, for lack of a Surefire 3P.

and dont use an expensive light to suck dry ANY cell.almost Learnt that the hard way.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenshaw,
Your last sentence caught my eye, because it sounds important, and I don't know exactly what it means...

'and dont use an expensive light to suck dry ANY cell.almost Learnt that the hard way.'

Could someone explain this in longhand to me, please? Thank you!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The majority of my lights have batteries in them 24/7

However I do tend to use them all a few times a week at some stage, so I am on top of their maintenance! :thumbsup:

A lil bit of clean freak helps :D

Last edited:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Crenshaw,
Your last sentence caught my eye, because it sounds important, and I don't know exactly what it means...

'and dont use an expensive light to suck dry ANY cell.almost Learnt that the hard way.'

Could someone explain this in longhand to me, please? Thank you!

A battery could leak/vent/fail in some way if drained too much, hurting a flashlight, therefore dont risk it with your expensive ones.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
A battery could leak/vent/fail in some way if drained too much, hurting a flashlight, therefore dont risk it with your expensive ones.

I also have doubts that over-draining a battery can be bad for regulators. Whenever I want to suck dry a battery, I use a non regulated light (which are less expensive to start with)

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I have single cell Lithium lights in my cars with spares, and LSD NiMH AA and C cell lights loaded around the house. I have several packs of Alkaline C and D cells stored separately from lights for extended power outages. I don't own any AA alkalines. I will never leave an Alkaline cell in a light for more than a day or two!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my users loaded with IMR cells, but that's usually it. I have primaries, but they only see use when I need extended runtime or am feeling nostalgic.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
All of my lights use 18650's, and I keep them loaded all the time.

xenonk

Enlightened
I have some regular use lights and standbys for lighting failures that always have batteries loaded.

Anything that won't see use for a while is locked out if it can be, and currently I believe that includes all of them.

They're exclusively using Li-Ion and LSD NiMH if I remember right. A couple of Li-Ion lights see daily use, and those get their batteries topped all the way up. The rest aren't charged past 4V open circuit because wear and aging effects spike pretty sharply near full charge, yet they still have enough energy to run long enough if needed right away.

Absolutely no alkalines.

Fird

Enlightened
Had Alks leak on me several times, the worst was when a set of AA's exploded inside my mini-m@g.. they were packed in there so tightly with grime that I had to toss the light, even a screwdriver-ram took some work to get them out, and in the process we sort of totaled the switch mechanism.. oh well, at least it wasn't a spendy light. I'm a little concerned for my new LF2XT, do I dare put Alkies in there? not for long! (i know, i know, waste of a good high-power light to put such weak batts in but its my backup light).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little concerned for my new LF2XT, do I dare put Alkies in there? not for long! (i know, i know, waste of a good high-power light to put such weak batts in but its my backup light).

Why not lash out and buy some LSD NiMH AA cells? :grin2:

As far as... to load or not to load (flashlights with batteries) only my collectable lights stay unloaded, this way if I need a light in a hurry BAM! I got one no need to hunt around for seperately stored cells, 99% of my lights are NiMH or Li-ion ;)

Last edited:

clintb

Enlightened
Alkaline have been banned from everything in this house. Smoke detectors use lithium primary CR123.

For the flashlights, most are kept unloaded.
I keep the following loaded:
  • 18650 - JetBeam RRT-1
  • AA - LiteFlux LF5XT (EDC rotation)
  • CR123 - Olight Titanium Infinitum (EDC rotation)
  • AAA - LiteFlux LF2XT (Permanent EDC)

jchoo

Enlightened
Every flashlight in the house, car, or garage has lithium primaries in it, and spares nearby, with only two exceptions - a 6D mag kept by the front door and a 4D lantern kept in the closet (empty, with packs of batteries on the shelf next to it). I figure if the lantern needs to be used I'll have to find it with... a flashlight... and I'll be able to load it... and the 6D mag, well, let's just say that the mass of the cells is necessary for proper functioning of the device.

bhedrick

Newly Enlightened
I used to keep most of my "user" lights loaded with alkalines (AAA, AA, C, D). Same with my testing equipment (AAA, AA, 9V). After too many leaks, this weekend I made the switch to Lithium primaries for my testing equipment. I like that I'll get longer shelf life, but more importantly not have to worry about leaks. For my flashlights, I've cut back on the number I keep loaded -- just a couple of each size with alkalines, and a monthly calendar reminder to check them. I hope this works.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Hi there

I keep all my many SureFire's fully loaded with SureFire CR123's but I always make certain to fully lock out the tailcap for the following reasons.

1) The most obvious reason which is to stop them from being accidentally activated.

2) Breaks the electrical circuit which helps eliminate any parasitic drain on the batteries

3) Doing this also backs off the tension and the force on the battery contact springs thus further adding to their longevity.

One other very interesting point is that I have noticed several people stating that in the past they have had their Maglites ruined by leaking batteries. For your information if your batteries have leaked and damaged your Maglite, they will often repair or replace your light free of charge as long as the leaking batteries are one of the following brands: Duracell, Eveready or Ray-O-Vac. Below is a direct quote from the Maglite FAQ's.

"Unfortunately, Mag does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. If one of these brands of batteries has leaked in your flashlight, send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace it at no charge to you"

Sincerely Yours
Phil Ament :wave: