KEL-LITE INDUSTRIES

collector76

Newly Enlightened
Kel-Lite anodized various colors including camoflauge pattern for special orders. Including a Bicentennial, red, white and blue model in 1976.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool the originator of the KEL-LITE......Welcome aboard. I souped one of your light up for a member some time back. It now sports a Duracoat finish and a 10W HID system for around 600 lumens output :)

IMG_0024-vi.jpg

IMG_0027-vi.jpg

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I have a photo of my first Kel-Lite display but can't figure out how to attach it.

That'd be cool to see!

I think you need a minimum post count, like 10 or 15 posts before you're able to attach pictures (there shouldn't be any problem linking to a photobucket account though).

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacc - NICE! And I don't mean that lightly... that thing looks fantastic!

This is one hell of a cool thread. :rock:

SG688

Newly Enlightened
... made in Barstow in the late 70's - 1984. The switch is the second version 304 stainless steel three way with a button to send morse code. First version was riveted onto the barrel, second was secured by screws. ... .

As cited by ABTOMAT, the external switch may be a weak point, but at least the screwed on versions - I didn't know about the riveted ones - can be readily taken appart for cleaning and repair. I have had to clean the contacts. [Hey, we're hobbyists! Right?]

I like the shorter overall length of the light and the easily felt location of the switch.

My Kel-lite's aren't as bright as my Mag's. I always put that down to a better reflector in the Mag's. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure I will soon be better informed...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They must not have used riveted external switches very long. I've never even seen photos of one of those.

Also, where do the early Kel-Lites with no location or serial markings fit in? I have a couple with blank tailcaps that appear in design (thin slide switch, for example) to be San-Dimas-vintage.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
Abtomat does not appear to be active at the moment. With his forbearance, I copied the picture and will repost it. I think this is the one.

kellerspersonalflashlig.jpg

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Just found this thread. I like this "modern flashlight history" from the "period shortly before my time".
Nice magazine ads - saved every picture and made a bunch of new folders.

Amazing to have Donald Keller present! It would be interesting to hear more of his thoughts. More of the difficulties and drama of getting the first Kel-Lites made and sold. What his thoughts are on lights of today. What are his thoughts on all the Maglite mods people do!?

What flashlight does he use today? Would he like a modded Maglite hotwire? How about we all chip in for a top of the line HIII Mag host, super hotwire, a special CPF edition engraved light? :thumbsup:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2C Kel-Lite was my first real flashlight back in 1977. I still have it and it still sits on my bedside table (next to a Z3/KT2). I want to give a special greeting and thank-you to Mr. Keller - best wishes to you and your family, sir!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still active, don't nail the lid shut just yet. Wish I'd been spending more time here but I lost enthusiasm for the flashlight gig and dealing with collectors a while back. Still have the collection, though, and next time I clean out the room I'll get the photos some of you guys keep asking for. The last ones I posted were three years out of date, I think.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice looking reincarnation of a Kel-lite you've produced there Mac, but then again your work that I've seen is simply amazing :thumbsup:

I doubt I'll ever see a Kel-lite in person unless the few that snuck into Australia exist somewhere unscathed :thinking:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
It would be for a 5-D cell(I think medium head) Pictures are in my first post. I can send you PP or Cash. Thanks a bunch!