Kershaw Blur quick review

bigcozy

Enlightened
Recently got a Kershaw Blur, courtesy of Cosmic Superchunk here at CPF. It is a larger knife than I expected, with a large handle and a wide recurved blade. This model is the red handle, I have seen them in blue, black and a limited edition purple. The red is very dark, almost burgundy, I didn't expect it be so dark from the pics I have seen, but I like it. It has the new "skateboard tape" in the handles that Microtech has gone to. It is indeed grippy, maybe too much. The Ken Onion Speed Safe mechanism is activated by pushing the blade stud forward toward the top of the knife. About half way there, the action takes over and the blades snaps with some authority. The blade is drop point, with the point being about even with the pivot pin of the handle. It has a deep belly and recruves slightly. I like a recurve blade as it makes maximum cutting area out of a blade and creates a shearing action. The blade is 440A stainless. The handle is very wide, good for large hands and the aforementioned grips provide positive purchase even when wet. The clip is a two screw setup that can be reversed for tip down or up carry. For lefties the blade stud is ambi, but not the clip. One thing that concerns me is the skateboard tape on the inside of the clip, I can already tell it is wearing on my clothing when I draw the knife, I can hear it. Kershaw did bring the aluminum part of the handle directly beneath the clip, but there is still enough tape to grab at your pants.

Overall, I give this knife high marks. Like all Kershaw products, I was a little skeptical of quality, but they all have won me over. I have no problems with the choice of 440A, it works well and keeps the price of the knife down. I like the looks of the knife with the red handles, and the good looking recurve blade. It does create a stir when opening, so any points it wins not looking "tactical" it loses as soon as the big blades snaps open. Intial quality appears to be great and the knife has really grown on me. At anywhere between $50-65 that I have seen locally I think this presents a real value. It is bigger than I thought, it snaps open harder than I thought, and it is better than I thought it would be.

83Venture

Enlightened
If I am worried about offending someone when I open an assisted blade I just don't use that feature, open it with the studs and pull the blade completly open with your hand. They will not even know about the other opening method.