Kevin Kelly: 2 Non-rechargeable battery rechargers

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000709.php

From Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools blog:

"Disposable alkaline batteries are not perceived by most people to be rechargeable, and that's how the manufacturers like it. Until digital pulse-technology chargers came out a few years ago, it was NOT an option for most people. Alkaline battery walls are very thin, and the heat generated by simple brute-force recharging frequently split them open with a bang.

There are new chip-controlled chargers which will safely and effectively recharge 'disposable' alkaline batteries...."

Kevin links to the Battery Xtender ($40) and the Rayovac 3-in-1 Charger ($30).

http://www.battery-recharger.com/
http://discountofficeitems.zoovy.com/product/RAYPS3?meta=dealtime-RAYPS3
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0008GO796/ref=nosim/kkorg-20

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
""There are new chip-controlled chargers which will safely and effectively recharge 'disposable' alkaline batteries...." ""

umm i disagree agreeably.
the major manufatures alkaline chargers are for the better sealed (designed to be recharged) alkalines, and they are very finikey, and only do 25 deep discharges.
FULLY discharged they die, no recharge even the second time.
topping them off works great, and (lest i be misquoted) is a great advantage over throwaways.
also the better sealed alkalines are less likely to leak

these highly sealed, and controlled charges work OK

BUT
these lite pulse (low ma) charging things that aledge to charge the NORMAL alkaline , still do NOT pull it off, without problems.
been there done that, many different ways, and they dont leak, AT FIRST.
but over time the very slowly pulsed charged alkalines, that were treated like cavier on a silver platter, barfed all over the place, thier toxic nightmare.

so if you take this kind of (IMO) risk, either buy the alkalines designed for recharge, or watch the investment you put them in.

it worked sooo well, then things started going bad, and i had more leaks than i had ever seen.

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Kevin Kelly: 2 Non-rechargeable battery rechar

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
.... and that's how the manufacturers like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin starts his propaganda in his first sentence, with a effort to appeal to conspiratorial paranoia. The term, instead of being "recharge", should be something more descriptive like "refreshed". These types of "rechargers" don't reverse the chemical reaction that has produced the current. They only alter the impairment of continued reaction at the electrodes, thus enabling the current producing reaction to continue.

Some chemical reactions are reversible through electrolysis, and some aren't. The difference between rechargeable and non-rechargeable cells is a reflection of that situation. It's not a reflection of battery manufacturers trying to dupe the consumer into purchasing more cells by deceiving them into believing they're not rechargeable.

There's something to keep in mind. Attempting to recharge voids the warranties on primary cells, and usually whatever device it's used in. Alkaline and carbon/zinc cells are likely enough to leak without trying to force a damaging heat generating, and electrode altering process on it.

The Ray-O-Vac 3 in 1 charger noted is not for recharging standard alkaline cells, it's only for the so called "rechargeable" alkaline cells. Technically, those cells are rechargeable, but are designed to withstand the damage ordinarily done to a cell when an attempt to recharge is made. Even they can't be truly recharged. They're just designed to permit a frequent maintenance "cleaning" at the electrodes. That's why you're supposed to "recharge" them before they exhibit any signs of discharge.

When you see a "rechargeable alkaline" cell that permits you to use it to near exhaustion before recharging, then you'll know the electrolysis produced chemical reversal problem has been solved.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I had some rechargable alkalines and my guess is EACH time you recharged it.... it lost capacity. After about 30 or so recharges my light I had it in was only lasting about 1/10 as long on a charge which essentially makes it worthless since I was getting about 1-1.5 hours before on new cells. I have recharged alkaline 6v flat batteries a few times enough to run my remote control for several months but after about 3 times it wasn't working at all. I wouldn't bother with recharging alkalines at all because anything needing alkaline cell low discharge rate just put alkalines or lithiums in and anything else use nimh as they are about as cheap as the ram cells without the short life.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recharege alkaline 9vs, AAs and Ds all the time. I made my own charger for about $0.03 using an LM317 and a resistor. That's it. I charge the 9 volts at about 20ma, the AAs at about 30ma, and the Ds at about 100ma. The only ones I've ever had leak were the AAs that I charged to 2v just to see what would happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not long ago I charged some batteries from a few clocks that were so low they were no longer ticking. It's been at least a month now and both of the clocks still keep time just right. Yes, I am a cheap *******. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif