Kids reading light.

Robe

Enlightened
I'm looking for a light for my daughter to read in bed. I'll also have to get a duplicate of whatever it is for her little brother, heh. Here's what I'm after:

Small, about the size of a thrunite ti. It's for small hands, so light and easy to hold is important.

NOT bright, if possible. I'd prefer something that only has a low mode. Low/high is possible, but I'm aiming for just something not bright enough to bother other siblings.

I'd prefer something with a neutral tint to warm.

Not very expensive, 25 or less.

Waterproof is not a concern, but it's a bonus.

Lanyard attachment would be nice.

Colors are nice, but I could always use an engraver if they're the same.

Thanks for the help!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'm looking for a light for my daughter to read in bed. I'll also have to get a duplicate of whatever it is for her little brother, heh. Here's what I'm after:

Small, about the size of a thrunite ti. It's for small hands, so light and easy to hold is important.

NOT bright, if possible. I'd prefer something that only has a low mode. Low/high is possible, but I'm aiming for just something not bright enough to bother other siblings.

Thanks for the help!

[Deleted and rewritten in a post below because I misunderstood an error message that came up.]

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened

Thanks for the help!

Four things came to my mind.

One would be a small flashlight that runs on an AAA battery but others here will have to comment on them as I am not familiar with them, although you could check SelfBuilt's round-up on them.

The second would be a small inexpensive lantern light that you might find in Walmart.

The third is an inexpensive headlamp your daughter could wear on/around her head ($8.95-$34.00 depending on the output of lumens) that would run on 3 AAA batteries that have various settings.

The fourth option would be a light that attaches/clips on to her bed's headboard which she or you could angle appropriately, but I don't if those come in a battery powered option. You would have to worry about it slipping or her pulling on it and it hitting her head though if it not securely attached/clipped.

The last three options would obviously keep both hands free to hold her book.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E05 single mode fits what your asking for, but have you considered a kid's headlamp? Energizer makes a few that would work well, and there are many others available at the big box stores.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be a bit dim but an incan mag solitaire the reading light of choice in the bed in my house. Only mod was to frost the lens to smooth out the light a bit. Nice warm tint. Not as nice as my modded E01 with a warm LED and chapstick diffuser but that is rather bright even at 9 lumen

Poppy

Flashaholic
It may be a bit dim but an incan mag solitaire the reading light of choice in the bed in my house. Only mod was to frost the lens to smooth out the light a bit. Nice warm tint. Not as nice as my modded E01 with a warm LED and chapstick diffuser but that is rather bright even at 9 lumen

What's a chapstick diffuser?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the idea,growing children should not be subjected to using a torch for reading.A proper table lamp is what is required giving sufficient light to be able to read in comfort.:rolleyes:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Forget the idea,growing children should not be subjected to using a torch for reading.A proper table lamp is what is required giving sufficient light to be able to read in comfort.:rolleyes:
Over the head board I used to have a pair of incandescent lamps, one for me, one for my wife, the type that one would use to illuminate a painting on the wall. The bulbs were of the style 1 inch in diameter, and 3 inches long. Each had its own twist switch.

I agree with that chap mcnair55 that reading with a flashlight is uncomfortable.

inetdog

Enlightened
Not sure if they are available any more, but we have a very attractive clamp on book light with a tiny four inch cold cathode linear fluorescent on a gooseneck.
It is powered by an internal three AA holder or a wall wart.
Unfortunately the only branding was on a sticky label that came off years ago.
The bulb is starting to turn dark and I fear I will never be able to replace it. The completely cool touch is wonderful.