• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Kits all sold

turbodog

Flashaholic
Good luck selling them.

FYI, some states classify these as burglary tools... check your laws before buying.

DRW

Enlightened
Good luck selling them.

FYI, some states classify these as burglary tools... check your laws before buying.
Not necessarily. It depends how they are used. The intent is a crucial part of the law known as mens rea.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Depends on the state. My state... simple possession of them is a crime unless you are a PI/cops/locksmith.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Depends on the state. My state... simple possession of them is a crime unless you are a PI/cops/locksmith.

are you sure about that? as far as I know mostly intent and other items in your posession define if it is legal or not, but also only a few states have actual locksmith certification, so just by saying you are a locksmith you will become one.
but yeah, generally don't carry that around, even if it is legal, it's not a good look.

DRW

Enlightened
Cops don't need lock pics, I was one for a dozen years. We have a Fire Department, they can open anything.

Intent is a critical part of what our laws are based on, without proving intent, a person can't be found guilty. Mere possession isn't guilt beyond a doubt.

What state and what's the number/title/ID of the law?

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cops don't need lock pics, I was one for a dozen years. We have a Fire Department, they can open anything.

Intent is a critical part of what our laws are based on, without proving intent, a person can't be found guilty. Mere possession isn't guilt beyond a doubt.

What state and what's the number/title/ID of the law?
I've seen local cops using a "slim jim" to get into car doors that folks have locked themselves out.
I wouldn't think that lock pick set would not land anyone in jail, unless caught in the act..

Now, if a slim jim is found down your pants leg by the Law, while running from a crime.. Well, try explaining that one to the judge (-;

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
Now, if a slim jim is found down your pants leg by the Law, while running from a crime.. Well, try explaining that one to the judge (-;
5th amendment, you don't have to explain anything. The state has to prove their case.

DRW

Enlightened
The first link is very similar to what I was saying earlier.

The citation from MS law doesn't specify a tool. That's why intent and how it's used is so important, whereas mere possession isn't. Lock picks, screwdrivers, crowbars, torches, and cutoff saws are all common tools.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The first link is very similar to what I was saying earlier.

The citation from MS law doesn't specify a tool. That's why intent and how it's used is so important, whereas mere possession isn't. Lock picks, screwdrivers, crowbars, torches, and cutoff saws are all common tools.

Did you read the MS statute? It covers intent. And no, lock picks are not common tools. When wal-mart, home depot, or similar sells them... then we can call them common tools. When at least half of tool-owning the men you know own them, then they are common.

1662654318779.png

DRW

Enlightened
Did you read the MS statute? It covers intent. And no, lock picks are not common tools. When wal-mart, home depot, or similar sells them... then we can call them common tools. When at least half of tool-owning the men you know own them, then they are common.

View attachment 31759
Yes I read it, the difference is I understood it when I read it. And as I've said several times now, intent has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

It doesn't specify lock pick tools or any other tools by name.

Last edited: