KL1 + Scorpion body

RY3

Enlightened
I noticed that the bezels of my E2E and Scorpion are inter-changable, I assume the KL1 will fit on the Scorpion as well.

So KL1+Scorpion will be a inexpensive way for a LS flashlight
wink.gif

If SF made a black KL1, it will look very nice on a my Scorpion body
grin.gif

Ron

Ratso

Enlightened
Wow!

Are you sure they fit? Are the threads fitting smoothly? Does it stay O-Ring sealed?

This is an awesome discovery!

Azreal911

Enlightened
can someone confirm this with a working head? did it work with the tail switch perfectly and still stay sealed? if this is all good i'm going online with credit card in hand! i have a scorpion already and have no use for another 123 light (no money!)

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this earlier in the week and the threads are the same size.

The Scorpion has more threaded length than the E1/E2 bodies so the E1/E2 heads don't screw all of the way down to the Scorpions rubber body but they do screw smoothly.

While the KL1 should definitely fit, the sealing/watertightness will depend on the thread length and the position of the o-rings in the KL1 head.

I suppose one could always add o-rings to the Scorpion to make up the difference.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it works, I'm in for that conversion also. Anyone know the best place to pick up a KL1 on the net?

RY3

Enlightened
Originally posted by GJW:
I posted this earlier in the week and the threads are the same size.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure I am not the only one figure that out
grin.gif

Here is a LINK to a picture with the swaped bezel if anyone interested (I can't post any picture here
mad.gif
).

Ron

Azreal911

Enlightened
that is sooooo cool. thanks for the pic it looks like it fits perfectly. just waiting for someone to try the KL1 first before i waste more money on lights AGAIN! the people at home are ready to commit me soon! this would make my scorpion into a great camping light and overtake my g2 in usefulness! switch to the kl1 for trail hiking and swap the other head when i need a huge throw in light in like a few seconds. just keep the heads in a film canister or something in your pocket or pack! oh and how much and where can you get the kl1?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

The KL1 has the same thread, seal and electrical contact geometry as the Ex bezels. I am not familiar with the scorpion. It appears to have a plastic composite body? Is there an internal spring contact for the batteries? How does it switch?

Judging by RY's photo, the additional thread length of the Scorpion body could be turned or ground off to allow the O-ring to seal with the KL1 head. The question remains, will shortening the Scorpion body by it looks like 1/8" still allow the batteries and switching mechanisim to function properly?

One additional consideration is that of thermal transfer and dissipation. It is likely that the KL1 was designed utilizing the additional mass and surface area of the Ex body to aid in thermal considerations. If the Scorpion is plastic as the picture seems to imply, the KL1 may run warmer for extended use????

Of course this is all half blind speculation........

- Don

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion is rubber shrouded aluminum with a built-in clickie in the tail.
The internal spring has almost 1/2 an inch of give so taking off an 1/8" shouldn't really affect anything.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
GJW,

Aside from possible thermal issues, sounds like you are good to go on this!

- Don

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I mated an LS1 with the Scorpion and kept it on for 1/2 an hour and it barely got warm.

Not sure how warm the KL1 but I'm assuming its comparable.

I just tried an LS-hybrid which gets considerably warmer and it still stays fairly cool.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically I can get the heads that will fit the E2E and fit them all to my Sropion?
Which heads can I use specifically?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the E2, the E2e, the LS1 and the LS1-hybrid.

The E1 and E1e should be compatible as well but you'll have to change out the lamp or use a dummy battery because the 6V will fry them.

The LS1 and the LS1-hybrid are also 3V lights so you'll need the dummy battery and you'll need a spacer because the batteries need to be lifted up out of the body by about 1/2".

DO NOT USE 6V WITH ANY OF THE ARC LSs!
YOU'LL DESTROY THEM!

RY3

Enlightened
I don't see any reason you want to put other SF bezel except the KL1 to a Scorpion. Although Scorpion's beam is not as nice as SF, it is brighter than E2E !
icon14.gif

Since I have both and the Scorpion hasn't get much use after I got the E2E, I thought it may be a good idea to "covert" it to a LS. It will replace the X5T that my wife took it from me.
grin.gif

Ron

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Hey, ugliness is subjective. Take me, for example. I've got the face only a mother could love, for sure. This is further evidenced by my wife calling me "butt ugly" just the other day, yet mama still calls me handsome. Back to flashlights, it may not be aesthetically pleasing, but it would sure do for my glovebox, using lithiums, I don't have to worry about it not being ready at the helm when called into duty.

e-

MarcV

Enlightened
Originally posted by RY:
I don't see any reason you want to put other SF bezel except the KL1 to a Scorpion.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For the switch! The convenience of a bimodal switch is worth a lot. Not many of us want to burst flash the way a gun-ready leo might.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
With KL1 ($40) and Scorpion ($30 to $35) body, you have a top quality, regulated bright (overdriven) LS with clickie switch and 4 hrs+ full brightness runtime at around $70 to $75! What do you expect more?

Alan