KL4 + 3x123 Primary?

Bob_G

Enlightened
I have a spare 3x123 tube and am trying to think of something to do with it. Anyone know for sure if this works? I'm worried about confusing or frying the regulation.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, I've read here on CPF that 9 volts will damage a KL4. Also, on Lighthound.com's FAQ, he mentions that the KL1 will work with 9 volts but others may get damaged.

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
I'm using the VG FB3 3x123 body w/the 5 watt KL4 head. I'm using Powerizer 3 volt cr123 batteries. No problems with the head. On the Vital Gear website, it describes the the FB3 body as functional with the KL4 head. Thats the info I used when I purchased the body and head. Perhaps it's a mistake? I don't know. I just know mine works just fine. I know many say that using over 6 volts is bad for a 5 watt luxeon. However, Emilions 5 watt clone Smartfire 2x123 works best with the rechargeable rcr123's which are 7.2 -8.4 volts. Just as bright if not brighter than the kl4 I have with 3x123's. George

Bob_G

Enlightened
George,

Assuming proper current regulation, the Lux doesn't care what the battery voltage is. The average LuxV needs around ~6.5V or better to achieve it's spec 700mA of current. I'm not familiar with the Smartfire, but with a "U" or higher Vf, a LuxV could run direct without problem on R123 I'd guess, or with a lower Vf with a buck converter.

My concern with 9+ volts from 3x123 is the regulator circuitry in the KL4. I'll take a look at the VG website though and see what they have to say.