Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
Mine is plastic.... and I got it last month from Going Gear.

That's odd. GG had been out of XT11's a few months back and then restocked with all metal grip rings. I just picked up another XT11 from them about 2 months ago and all their stock was metal rings.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have one plastic ring that's never been an issue, and all the rest were metal. Its probably a supply issue where the plastics get swapped in if they are low on the metal ones lately?

The early ones were ALL plastic, all the time. They started using metal later on. I found the metal ones from the XT20 for example interchangeable too, etc.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good, glad it worked out for you.

I've just gone back and handled my XT10, XT11 and XT30 (all use the same inter-changeable tailcap). While none of mine are as sensistive as you describe, the older XT10 does seem to require the firmest push to activate strobe (with the newest XT30 being the most sensitive). Could be a gradual change in sensitivity over time, but might also be completely random - don't have enough samples to say.

Cheers!

I remembered I had read somewhere that the XT10 switch required a firmer push than other XT lights so I looked for this post. My XT10 requires a much firmer push the XT1A, XT2A, XT2C. Even holding the momentary on for some time leads to a slight discomfort in the thumb. My sample could possibly require a firmer push than others. Now, including the message below, it makes three people confirming the XT10 is the XT light with the harder switch and considering the XT11 tailcap is identical I suspect Klarus may have changed the spring or some other switch component for the XT11 and the other XT lights.

As for the switches, the buttons on the XT2C protrudes a little more than the XT10, about 1 millimetre more on both the round and crescent button, hence easier to press. The spring assembly button on my XT2C are also softer to press (feels just right), my XT10 needs a little more effort to activate (Double/ triple the effort), both buttons have a louder audible click then I would like, but not a big a deal for me. At this early point I prefer the XT2C over the XT10 due to its smaller size and button accessibility (better for high stress situation).

DogCompany

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great review. I purchased the light from a retailer that was offering the "aggressive bezel". I travel a lot internationally, and was worried it wouldn't get through TSA. So far, it has. Excellent light to have with me in foreign countries where I can't bring normal defense items. The antiroll cube does get snagged on the holster when inserting, but that seems to be my only complaint so far.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the great review. I purchased the light from a retailer that was offering the "aggressive bezel". I travel a lot internationally, and was worried it wouldn't get through TSA. So far, it has. Excellent light to have with me in foreign countries where I can't bring normal defense items. The antiroll cube does get snagged on the holster when inserting, but that seems to be my only complaint so far.

You probably got the upgraded version of the XT11 with an increased 820 lumens as well.

dougdebonet

Newly Enlightened
I have the 600 lumen version of the XT11, so far it has done wonderfully through tinted windows and such as I'm a LEO, however I have one HUGE gripe with it. My Callie's Customs 18650 3400 mAh batteries fit a bit snug, and i have to remove the head and tailcap and physically push them out of the body, my AW 3100 mAh batteries fit fine. Now the worst part, on both batteries, after extended periods of use, the positive button on the batteries are pushed into the cell 1/8" or more. It's very annoying because the button doesn't come into contact with the terminal on the 4sevens charger I have. Already had to throw away one Callies battery and I'm about to lose one of my AW's

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
I have the 600 lumen version of the XT11, so far it has done wonderfully through tinted windows and such as I'm a LEO, however I have one HUGE gripe with it. My Callie's Customs 18650 3400 mAh batteries fit a bit snug, and i have to remove the head and tailcap and physically push them out of the body, my AW 3100 mAh batteries fit fine. Now the worst part, on both batteries, after extended periods of use, the positive button on the batteries are pushed into the cell 1/8" or more. It's very annoying because the button doesn't come into contact with the terminal on the 4sevens charger I have. Already had to throw away one Callies battery and I'm about to lose one of my AW's

That's because the internal battery compartment is designed for gun use , the recoil mustn't affect battery contact, so it's tight.
I use unprotected cells with no problems, on a single emitter I don't see the point of a protected cell.
Protected cells are too long.

masterchief tiger

Newly Enlightened
Also in my experience protected cells tend to loose contact because the circuit can be damaged by shock. I noticed this with my kalrus XT11 using a protected klarus protected battery. I thought there was something wrong with my switch because the light would turn off and on. Thought it was the ring on the tail cap but it was tight umtil i borrowed someone else unprotected battery and problem solved. So i removed my battery protector and problem solved.

garpt

Newly Enlightened
Also in my experience protected cells tend to loose contact because the circuit can be damaged by shock. I noticed this with my kalrus XT11 using a protected klarus protected battery. I thought there was something wrong with my switch because the light would turn off and on. Thought it was the ring on the tail cap but it was tight umtil i borrowed someone else unprotected battery and problem solved. So i removed my battery protector and problem solved.

...But still love the seperate "mode" and "power" switches. Simple idea but very effective!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you load in two 18350 into the XT11 with the old XML T6...it bumps the out put to about 1,000 L.

:D

ridngsxrs

Newly Enlightened
Because of this awesome review I went and bought a XT-11. I also purchased the stainless steel bezel but the bad part is I can't use the supplied flashlight holder when using the bezel.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Because of this awesome review I went and bought a XT-11. I also purchased the stainless steel bezel but the bad part is I can't use the supplied flashlight holder when using the bezel.
Is that because it is an extended bezel, with longer crenelations? In any case, the XT-11 holster is pretty basic, so you may do better hunting around for something a little sturdier.

And :welcome:

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, great review @selfbuilt!

I have had a klarus XT11 for a nearly a couple of years now and love it! I usually run it on a single protected 18650 for the runtime advantage but when I fancy WOWing someone I will use a pair of AW IMR 16340's 3.7v 550mah for the extra output. (I purchased these to run my Thrunite catapult V1 without the extender for the same WOW factor effect because I read somewhere (probably on here) that they could handle the battery drain better than generic RCR 16340 3.7v)

Obviously the runtime is poor and I only have 2x AW 16340's. Could I use 2 standard unprotected rechargables 3.7v in the XT11 (I have plenty of these) What would be the advantages/disadvantages? What problems might I encounter? Why would it be a good/bad idea? I know Klarus doesnt recommend it but why?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi, great review @selfbuilt!

I have had a klarus XT11 for a nearly a couple of years now and love it! I usually run it on a single protected 18650 for the runtime advantage but when I fancy WOWing someone I will use a pair of AW IMR 16340's 3.7v 550mah for the extra output. (I purchased these to run my Thrunite catapult V1 without the extender for the same WOW factor effect because I read somewhere (probably on here) that they could handle the battery drain better than generic RCR 16340 3.7v)

Obviously the runtime is poor and I only have 2x AW 16340's. Could I use 2 standard unprotected rechargables 3.7v in the XT11 (I have plenty of these) What would be the advantages/disadvantages? What problems might I encounter? Why would it be a good/bad idea? I know Klarus doesnt recommend it but why?

Instead of two IMR 16340, try two IMR 18350 instead. Its brighter, and runs longer.

:D

Latest posts