Knife advice please? Emergency/camping bag.

leduk

leduk

Enlightened
I'm thinking of a knife for my emergency bag/camping bag.

Lightweight, locking, simple, straight edge, not expensive and 3" blade.
Please, nothing expensive, huge, tiny etc..

I came up with the Gerber LST II. Weight 1.4oz blade 2.6".

Budget about GBP £20/USD $30.

Thoughts please.
Thanks

G

G-force

Newly Enlightened
It's funny you should mention the Gerber LST II. I just included it in my post for "What do you EDC in your pockets". I'm very satisfied with mine and it cost me about $20 (USD). I think it would suit your needs quite well.

GerberLSTII.jpg

D

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I think the LST is simple, easy to use and inexpensive. My wife has one in her bailout bag, in addtion to a spyderco Endura. But if your range is into the $30s, I would prefer a Spyderco, it will feel a little more solid and you can get a little more knife.

Will you have a multitool as well? If not the SAK, or an inexpensive Leatherman would cover more bases for you. The Leatherman Kick is only around twenty bucks or so, but the knife does not lock, which I am not a fan of.

daloosh

S

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
K-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter or Kershaw Vapor for about $20US. For a few dollars more, you might consider the Benchmade Mini-Pika. IMO, these are the 3 best folders in your price range.

pedalinbob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Santelmo said:
Lee1959 said:
I would suggest a one hand opening Victorinox SAK, it is not only a knife but a tool with other uses that may well save your hide more than a simple knife. They are the perfect addition to an emergency kit.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=VN54874

VN54874.jpg
[/QUO

I second this suggestion.

I third it.

You can get excellent prices and great service from a guy named Felinevet.

Go here:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Bob

K

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
i fourth this suggestion. Its a great knife. I got one one and am very happy. Its basically a knife and a SAK put in 1. i kept it in my emergency bag for some while.

ETA- has anyone else that has one noticed that the serrations are at the front? i read over at BF that normal serrations(ones at the back) are there just to look good while forward serrations would really be more useful.

pedalinbob said:
Santelmo said:
I third it.

You can get excellent prices and great service from a guy named Felinevet.

Go here:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Bob

P

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd go for something a bit bigger like a Frosts 760, which is a good Swedish 4" fixed blade Mora-style for about $12.

BIGIRON

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just happened to visit www.sierratradingpost.com and they have the SAK ("Swiss Army Brands"?) on sale for like $24. Has olive handle and no saw blade. Otherwise appears similar.

I have the SAK black handle version. I like it, but rarely carry if. Maybe the one without the saw blade will be a tad smaller and I'll use it more. I dislike serrations, but.....

I think for bag purposes (I call it a "possibles bag" cause it's stuff I might possible need) it would be a good choice, but if you have room and weight is not a problem, a robust folder (or non-folder) and a medium sized multitool would be better.

C

copykat

Newly Enlightened
I'll third or fourth that. I have the original version of this knife and it is the most useful knife i have ever had!:sold:
Mine doesn't have the swoopy handle, saw is on other end, can opener looks different and blade is not a one hander. My blade locks out via a red sliding switch on the side. Would like another one. I tweeked the blade using it to split wood.

Lee1959 said:
I would suggest a one hand opening Victorinox SAK, it is not only a knife but a tool with other uses that may well save your hide more than a simple knife. They are the perfect addition to an emergency kit.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s....html?s=VN54874

VN54874.jpg
[/QUO

leduk

leduk

Enlightened
Thanks all,

I have several SAKs and pretty much always have one at hand. I have a "camping" model already in the bag but I think one of the locking versions will be the next purchase.

For some reason I have never got on with multi-tools except in SAK form. Leathermans have never held any draw for me.

I'm plumping for the Benchmade mini Pika (perhaps just the Pika). £18($35) incl P&P. 2.9" blade, 4" closed. Pocket clip. 1.8oz 40g.

Regards

update

:)Digging around I found my old Opinel No.8 (link). 3.5" and 44g cost 0.
I'll wait for the right thing to pop up on ebay.
Lets see what else I've got hanging about.

Cheers

Last edited:
S

Santelmo

Enlightened
KSH92474 said:
ETA- has anyone else that has one noticed that the serrations are at the front? i read over at BF that normal serrations(ones at the back) are there just to look good while forward serrations would really be more useful.

. . . EHEM!!! . . . That's what I've been saying/preaching/bloody-wondering about all these years!

Unless you use your knife only as a DEDICATED cutter for rough, fibrous or uneven textured/shaped materials such as rope or carpetting (even then you're probably better off with a fully serrated blade), the MAXIMUM use serrations for me can be achieved by placing them NOT at the rear (near the choil or the area for the greatest leverage and control of the blade) but in FRONT; either near or at the belly area.

Last edited:
PhantomZ

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i know you said straight edge but thought i'd just bring it up.

http://www.knivesplus.com/TOOLLOGIC.HTML

i have the Tool Logic SL2. its acually made so you can put a minimag solitaire instead of using it for storage. i saw someone here on cpf with a ARC AAA in it. i'm using a Peak AAA 3led instead~

leduk

leduk

Enlightened
flashlight said:
Have you seen the new Leatherman folding knives?

I had a look in the SHOT report at the leathermans 300s and 500s and I'd like the 502 with all the gadgets but it will have to wait a couple of months until my piggy bank fills up. I have some torches to purchase first.

Thanks.

flashlight

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
leduk said:
I had a look in the SHOT report at the leathermans 300s and 500s and I'd like the 502 with all the gadgets but it will have to wait a couple of months until my piggy bank fills up. I have some torches to purchase first. The all aluminium handled ones weren't out yet when I ordered mine.

Thanks.

I got the e307x at 10% off for new newsletter subscriber sign up from REI.com (might be cheaper elsewhere) as my EDC as I wanted a version with the BladeLauncher & in 154CM steel & am pretty happy with it.

The Victorinox one-handed openers with combo edge do look like pretty good deals too though. :eek:

Last edited:
leduk

leduk

Enlightened
Thought I'd let you know and why.

I've opted for, and bought, the Mora 760 mg. 4" blade, not a folder.

Reasons:
It's cheap and readily available in the UK£9 (usd17) delivered.
It comes well recommended.
I have a bunch of SAKs, all folding and another folder will only offer a slightly bigger, locking blade. Not enough difference from kit I already have.

I'll save up and get a better one once this is tried, tested and probably broken.

Cheers.