Knife advice please? Emergency/camping bag.

MScottz

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
leduk said:
Thought I'd let you know and why.

I've opted for, and bought, the Mora 760 mg. 4" blade, not a folder.

Excellent choice! In a true survival situation, a fixed blade is much better than a folder.

greenLED

greenLED

Flashaholic
flashlight said:
Have you seen the new Leatherman folding knives?
Been drooling over one of those since I saw them at SHOT. Not really a knife person here (yet, although Topper and LifeNRA are trying hard), though, and I already have a multitool.

BIGIRON

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the SWAK from Sierra Trading Post. It is Victorinox brand. It is the same as the black handled knives pictured except the scales are olive and it has a Bundeswher crest instead of the Victorinox emblem. It does not have the toothpick and tweezers that the black knife has. It does have the same saw.

Oh, well. I really needed another knife.

CLHC

CLHC

Flashaholic
As Lee1959 suggested in regards to Victorinox SAK's One-Hand Trekker. Just got me one at Fry's Electronics for thirty four dollars plus tax. Not too shabby. Besides, the blade on it is half serrated in the front half of the blade then plain towards the latter half. I think they got it right.

Enjoy!

MScottz

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I've fondled the Leatherman knives at REI, they seem way too bulky for the blade size. Also, I'm not too crazy about the zytel hadles or whatever the material is.

watt4

watt4

Enlightened
since it will reside in an emergency/camping bag, could you use a fixed blade knife, like a 3 inch bird and trout knife?

casebirdtroutknife9hn.jpg

Last edited:
Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
The Mora is a great choice. There's a book called 98.6 degrees by Cody Lundin. He recommends the Mora for survival kits, BOB's, etc.