Knife blade styles

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to hear some commments on the different blade styles (specifically benchmade, only because those are the ones I know the most about). I have two griptillians, one with a modified sheepsfoot and another with a tanto point. does a specific style yield any superior strength at the tip or have any special uses? or is it just preference? thanks

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tanto is supposed to have a stronger tip. Looking at them it looks like some tantos have a more blunt tip than other typs of knives which would make the point stronger. This will vary from brand to brand. Also I notice that knives meant for hunting, sometimes called skinning knives, don't have much point so for me that limits their usefulness.

I like a longer point myself, for the types of things I use a knife for so I usually end up with a long blade with a very slight drop point. Most Banchmades have a blade that works well for me but I wouldn't count on the point to be real tough. I don't use my knife for anything rough that I would need a strong point for.

Blade styles are chosen partly because of what you like and partly because of what you use a knife for. As I said skinning knives are usually relatively blunt because you aren't supposed to be cutting with the point anyway. Tantos have a reputation for being strong such as for stabbing although that may be a myth and they aren't typically used that way. For general use a point is probably used a lot.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find a lengthy discussion about this question at Bladeforums.com. There is a difference in intended use and tip strength for the various styles. The tanto shape was originated as an Asian fighting knife and is optimized for stabbing strength, as in stabbing through armour. I personally feel like it is not a good choice for a general purpose blade, but it does enjoy some popularity for that use. Most other common shapes are pretty versatile. In addition to function, I think visual appeal drives a lot of variation in blade design.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a knife guy for more than 40 years, all I can ask is, what do you want to use the knife for? It's that simple. And that complicated.

There are lots of blade designs, some for function and some for appearance. The vast majority of buyers make a decision based on the cool factor and then buy another knife that does what they really need one to do.

What do you need the blade to do?

Rebus

Enlightened
As a general working knife I have
found the Warnclif to be the most
usefull. It is also easier to sharpen
than a curved blade.

-Rebus

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebus, I strongly agree. For a small knife, I prefer a Wharncliff or modified-w.c. for almost everything -- for general utility work, for defensive use, etc. For years I resisted this notion because, let's face it, there's nothing cooler-looking than a sabre-ground drop-point. And he who has the coolest-looking toys, gets the chicks. But wharncliffes and their variants (like the spyderco delica) have won me over as far as usefulness.

Joe

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the old fashioned drop point for all around utility. The Doug Ritter modified Griptilian was discussed in this forum not too long ago. His Equipped to Survive website has a lot of good information from the outdoor/utility point of view.