Knife Chatter. Show and Tell!

boo5ted

Enlightened
Newest one landed a couple days ago, Microtech UTX-85.

51354810032_5f43c0b2ab_c.jpg

51356289804_49a4d2ca7a_c.jpg

51355551046_b38cb0b7dc_c.jpg

She's already fitting in nicely with the other EDCs.

51356289099_2ae22a21d0_c.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few of mine, 1 or 2 of them are constantly with me. Recently, after one incident, I realized that it does not matter how good the knife is, but if you do not take sharpening devices with you, then all kinds of random circumstances can bring unexpected problems. It's like taking a flashlight but not taking spare batteries. I used to only carry the Norton Fine India stone with me (~400 grit). Now I wear 2 more diamond stones - DMT Extra Coarse (60 micron / 220 mesh) and Eze-Lap Coarse (250 grit).

Grit - mesh - micron quite a confusing system, but it's good that there is a translation table

Judging by the table, DMT has some kind of own measurement system, since it turns out that my ezelap and this dmt should have the same grain, but in reality dmt is much rougher. But it doesn't matter, they do their job great.

The situation I mentioned at the beginning was this - I went to a party with friends and we make fried meat, all their knives turned out to be very blunt. I sat down to sharpen knives, a few years before I gave them knives from well-hardened D2 ~ 63 HRC and another knife Aus-8 ~ 57-58 HRC, there were also several Tramontina 420J2 ~52 HRC. While I was sharpening, I gave my knife from S30V for work, so as not to waste time. Sharpening D2 with these 3 stones above took about 10 minutes, sharpening Aus-8 took about 5-6 minutes, sharpening Tramontins took about 2 minutes. I gave all the knives to the rest of the people to get it over with. When it was over, I looked - all the knives, including mine, were completely dull again. The reason was the following, these are the cutting boards used by my friends - tempered glass with fruit prints on the back.

sd.jpg

It was just a special case. In reality, you can blunt a knife made of the coolest steel if you accidentally touch stones, concrete, or hit hard on bones if the knife is sharpened at a small angle. These 3 little sharpeners helped me out, otherwise it would have taken a lot longer to cook, but I think it makes sense to carry around a diamond board about 6-8 inches (coarse/extra coarse) so that in case of unforeseen circumstances any knife (or Axe) can be sharpened from very dull state more quickly. I think with a large board, sharpening would take 3 times less time than indicated.

Of course, after diamonds on soft steels, a burr sometimes forms and it seems that the knife is very sharp, but it will quickly become dull, so I need Fine India, after it there is no burr on most knives.

And I'm not that crazy now, when I wanted to bring the knife to the state of chopping the hair in limbo, now it is enough to remove the burr and he entered easily into a fingernail most of the length of the blade or cut a newspaper or other similar paper without tearing it.

I like this video, very clearly explained

The last knife here with a serrated Kershaw Random Task 1510ST, steel 440V (now called S60V), I didn't know with using what to sharpen it for a long time, but the edge of the ezelap stone is slightly rounded and has enough diamonds to use it. Result looks scary, but it works and it cuts beautifully.

IMG-4959.jpg

IMG-4960.jpg

IMG-4962.jpg

IMG-4965.jpg

IMG-4967.jpg

IMG-4969.jpg

IMG-4972.jpg

IMG-4973.jpg

IMG-4975.jpg

IMG-4976.jpg

Last edited:

parang

Newly Enlightened
Sold a PM2 and bought a Victorinox Traveller and an Alox Classic.
MG-0278.jpg

My keychain now feels complete.

MG-0296.jpg

CHNeal

Enlightened
Ive stated before that I am a recovering gear addict. I have a problem with lights, knives, bags and to a lessor degree guns. I was pretty sure it was under control so felt like I could check in here and poke around…
7 Mailoffs later I just got a shipping notice for an Umnumzaan!
I swear flashlights are a gateway drug leading to complete and utter devastation to one's disposable income!

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garden knife with one-sided bevel, like Emerson tactical knives. I read that one-sided sharpening helps gardeners make smoother cuts, but I have a suspicion that it is much cheaper and faster to make a bevel in one side than with both, that is, the reason is only to save time and money. Now it's a mushroom knife 💫

Attachments

• IMG_6820.JPG
    IMG_6820.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 117

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing so many people posting about their knife acquisitions on various EDC/flashlight forums, it can be so tempting to keep growing the collection. There are a lot of great deals out there to be had for reasonable money these days. And then of course, the allure of going all in on a $400+ knife that should last you a lifetime. My "semi-grail" was a Spyderco Spydiechef, in place of the Slysz Bowie that's discontinued... but I kept missing out on nice used examples at the price I wanted. Then a major sales deal over on Chicago Knife Works, and I ended up with a new Kizer Wanderer well below the used Spydie prices. And frankly, it's so damn close I'm happy with it. Hunt is over.

But I hadn't yet found the right mini EDC knife. My smallest comes in at just under 2" and has a titanium frame, too small for a clip (just a hole for a split ring). So easy to toss in a coin pocket and it's superb with D2 steel--holds a nice edge and cuts practically everything I need to cut. Still, I wanted something a little larger, something I could clip inside my pocket. And finally, I stumbled upon it. The CRKT Squid. This is a very popular knife. CRKT has been making them for a few years and with a nice range of variations. I'd been growing hungry for micarta and then saw the Squid came with a micarta option. In fact, a few of them. At first I got the "copper" finished version. It's a beauty. But alas, after wearing it a bit, I noticed scratches becoming revealed on the clip. So I expect in time the coating would come off. I wanted a version that would be a little more robust. Enter the stone finished version. BINGO.
CRKT-Squid_02.jpg

CRKT-Squid_01.jpg

This knife is absolutely perfect for me. The blade length is terrific and its nice wide stance gives excellent strength. Plus, being so stout, the body is easy to grip. Very comfortable and ergonomic for a knife this size. Yeah, it's a little weird having micarta on one side and stainless steel on the opposite... but frankly, after a while I've come to appreciate the "Janus" factor. The action was a little stiff at first, but with a little lube and a few weeks of flipping open/closed, it's now quite smooth. So easy to snap open. And the diminutive size is so convenient. I've also come to find that when I take it out, No one nearby is startled. It looks harmless. No bulging 3~4" gleaming steel blade. It does not flash, so no eye snagging offered. Just what I wanted. No muss, no fuss. Unlike the Rover 2000TC which was a maintenance nightmare. 😄

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Here's my latest - Boker Atlas Multi. Pretty handy little knife, even though I'm not a big fan of slip joints.

Attachments

• atlas1.jpg
    atlas1.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 109

SamKormak

Newly Enlightened
Two-tone PM2. Flytanium scale on the backside and blurple G10 on the presentation side. Slides into the pocket easily on the smooth Ti, but has some grip. A fun combo to bump this thread up. ;)

My CRKT clip is kinda wobly right now but it's been a few years at this point(picked it up back in 2020 while stocking up on 223 ammo at the local store)

How's the clip on PM2? I've read somewhere it becomes wobbly after few months, but that doesn't sound like spyderco at all

Last edited: