Krypton vs Xenon - how much difference (Maglite)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The bulb plucks out easily KA. It's the adapter you are stuck with, so yeah if your spare in the field is a krypton PR……"Houston we have a problem". It would be great if Maglite sold a kit where you get an adapter and say, 4 bulbs instead of having a bunch of extra adapters laying around. By bulb 5 the holes for the pins may be oversized enough to warrant a new bi-pin holder so that's why I'd prefer a 4 pack instead of……10 or so.
A few years back I saw the writing on the wall and spent my lunch money on a bunch of extra light bulbs. And with LED tech where it is today the light bulbs don't get a lot of use anymore.

I binge watched a tv show called Jericho not long ago. A post appocolyptic town in Kansas USA and at one point an EMP popped every computer controlled everything and even flashlights were of no use. Next thing you know 3 and 4 D incan Maglites and SureFire 6P lights were worth their weight in gasoline and food. I won't give away the end but will say it's a bad idea to blindly trust your national government. lol

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb plucks out easily KA. It's the adapter you are stuck with, so yeah if your spare in the field is a krypton PR……"Houston we have a problem". It would be great if Maglite sold a kit where you get an adapter and say, 4 bulbs instead of having a bunch of extra adapters laying around. By bulb 5 the holes for the pins may be oversized enough to warrant a new bi-pin holder so that's why I'd prefer a 4 pack instead of……10 or so.
A few years back I saw the writing on the wall and spent my lunch money on a bunch of extra light bulbs. And with LED tech where it is today the light bulbs don't get a lot of use anymore.

I binge watched a tv show called Jericho not long ago. A post appocolyptic town in Kansas USA and at one point an EMP popped every computer controlled everything and even flashlights were of no use. Next thing you know 3 and 4 D incan Maglites and SureFire 6P lights were worth their weight in gasoline and food. I won't give away the end but will say it's a bad idea to blindly trust your national government. lol

I suppose battery protection circuits were all ruined also. I don't think I have ever heard any talk about this, even in the old emp threads.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to follow this up.

I spent some time trying to figure out the Xenon adaptor and I think along the lines of what bykfixer was saying, it just wasn't seated correctly. It is now working much better. I retested throw and have seen 22.500cd when running on 8.4v, which I think clearly answer my question on how the new Xenons perform against the old Kryptons. Significantly brighter and significantly more throw. Win win :)

Some of the pics here, the 'hurricane' beam shot. Also inspired me to see that causes this. And it is all about bulb alignment in the reflector. It is very easy for a bi-pin to sit slightly askew. I noticed my Magcharger produced this kind of beam. So Ive 'twekaed' the bulb position and it is much improved and now recording 48,500cd! :drool:Although I think it is only a small part of the beam at this intensity.

Anyway I'm quite pleased with the results and for the meantime will leave the Xenon bulb in my 3D instead of the LED drop in I was using.

Made a little vid too, to show how well these perform. :)

Sacramentum96

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the the other day just how well Halogens can take being overdriven too, I have a 2.5v halogen in my 2D mag and put a 21700 in there, it not only took it but I was amazed at how bright it was without seeming like it was going to pop any second, I only ran it for a couple of minutes and put the D cells back in, Nice to know that in an emegency it can be done though ;)
I put a Protected 18650 into a 2D Flashlight and the 2.8V Energizer Halogen turned on very briefly before dying :( Probably the Whitest Incan I've ever witnessed. What brand Halogen did you use?

Sacramentum96

Newly Enlightened
The bulb plucks out easily KA. It's the adapter you are stuck with, so yeah if your spare in the field is a krypton PR……"Houston we have a problem".

You could simply carry the OEM Krypton Collar and Bulb in a small ziplock bag. But yes, they should have stayed with the potted bulbs but made the glass thinner and put a **** load of Xenon in them so they burn whiter.

The Bi-pin should have stayed only for the Mini Maglite and Solitaire, and speaking of, you can put a Minimag AA or AAA Krypton Bulb in the Magstar II Adapter and hit it with 1x 18650 for shits and giggles. They're only $5.00 for 2 in Australia, maybe good for a Low Lumen Long Run Time survival build, I'm sure all the animals would appreciate it not getting blinded by a 800lm $30 drop-in or whatever LED MOD/Upgrade people run nowadays.

boss429

Newly Enlightened

Loved Jericho, sadly ended too soon. EMP experts predict even light bulbs sitting on a shelf will light then burn out.

Latest posts