Kydex for holsters

trivergata

Enlightened
Has anyone tried making holsters out of kydex? I think this is the way for me to go, but thought I'd consult you guys before trying. I've found knife sheath kits for about $10, complete with rivets and a belt loop, so I thought I'd give it a try.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
I think chrisse(...) makes these. Check the modder's yellow pages for his post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I hear my name? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trivergata, Kydex is good stuff when making your own flashlight sheath/holster/pouch. When working with rivets you will need some tools, chicago screws will do the same without the need to buy those tools.
Another thing: After about fourty sheaths I've made (about ten for myself) I find myself actually using only one. A very small bikini-style sheath for my arc4:

newarc421.jpg

All the sheaths that cover the whole light tend to look a little bulky. Oh and by the way, you can use kydex for knives and handguns as well. ;-)

Chrisse

trivergata

Enlightened
chrisse - very cool design, I'm making it for an EDC Ultimate, not a gun (that might ba a later project). I want to make one that holds a pill/spare battery case, also - kinda like a double barrel shotgun look. (bring on more anti-gun comments, you hippies!). I really do like the design you came up with, but I wish it didn't need a belt clip to work.

Thanks for the help - I'll see about posting pictures if I get it to work.
Josh

chrisse242

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How would you attach it to your belt without a clip? Of course it's easy to make sheath and clip out of one piece of kydex, but I rarely do this for myself because I have made "standard" clips for different sheaths and different belt-sizes. If you only carry one sheath on one belt there's no need for a detachable clip. I think ETendue has a sheath for sale that is designed for the nuwai QIII and a spare cell, but also fits several other lights. You could buy one of those or at least "steal" the design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif Ah well, I guess that would be ok, as long as you don't start selling them.

Chrisse

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kydex is fun stuff.

I've gotten mine from www.knifekits.com. I use a heat gun I bought from Home Despot, heat it until it will take the shape of the object I'm making the holster for, and form it with cotton work gloves to protect my fingers. I've made a cel phone case and various other stuff.

trivergata

Enlightened
chrisse, I'm planning on adding a clip/loop, basicly liuke yours, but with an extra loop for the battery, and maybe an enclosed bottom. I've ordered a knife sheath kit to play with, and hopefully it'll work out.
Josh

chrisse242

Enlightened
You will still need the tool to fasten the rivets. I got a cheap custom made tool that uses a hammer to fasten the rivets, but I don't know where to find a good and cheap one in the states. Because of this I recommended the use of chicago screw instead. I'm not a big fan of those premade beltloops, I find it better to make them yourself to be sure they will fit onto your belt perfectly
Personally I'm looking for thicker kydex (0.125") for a design that works without any fasteners. Unfortunately that's not easy to find.

Chrisse

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Chrisse, would you be willing to custom make a holster? I'm actully quite interested in making one myself but i'm guessing that the time and money spent just trying to find the right materials would be a bit tough where i live...

chrisse242

Enlightened
Joshwang, depends on the light you want to carry. If I have it, no problem. If not we'll have to work something out. Maybe you could have a look at my post in the modders yellow pages thread (sticky in the custom and modified B/S/T) and send me a pm afterwards.

Chrisse

chrisse242

Enlightened
Rudi, thanks, I know this source but never ordered from them because I don't have a credit card. I might contact you in a few weeks...

Again, thanks a lot, Chrisse

trivergata

Enlightened
I finally got the holster done, and after about 3 weeks of carrying it, it's seems to be the perfect way to for me. The upside down and reverse cant (the angle of the holster) makes for a very natural draw, and the long sloped top prevents any snagging. It sits low enough that you aren't getting that typical digging into the lovehandles, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get it to fall out.

holster3fg.jpg

Josh

chrisse242

Enlightened
Not bad for your first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
I'd like it to be a little smaller but that's just personal preference.

Chrisse

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Nice. REALLY nice, i want one!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Yeah, that is a really nice job on that holster. I would have gone with smaller screws, but if you're looking for that rugged look, then it is fine. I'm also curious what kind of knife you are carrying in your back pocket.

trivergata

Enlightened
Thanks for the good comments guys - I've had a lot of fun with it. I need to post some pics of the neck holster I made for my ARC AAA - it turned out pretty well, too. Maybe in the morning when the keys aren't so blurry (I think they're defective....after midnight, at least)

mrsinbad - it's a spyderco military pre-production prototype. About 2 days after the picture was taken, a VP of the department I work in asked to borrow it for a second. It came back with the comment "did this have a tip on it when you gave it to me, because it dosen't now." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif The last 1/2" or so was gone, and he actually thought it was funny. He still didn't realize what he had done when I explained that it was a prototype of a knife that retailed for about $200. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Needless to say when he asks to borrow anything again, I'll require a $500 deposit, VP or not.
Josh

Latest posts