l1d-ce vs d-mini

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I have the D-mini already but I am not likeing the cr123 batteries they are rather expensive to get to canada and I always have a large stock of aa's around the house I am going to sell the d-mini and I was looking for a replacement 1-2 aa cell's very bright and it need's to have good throw I like to be able to light up a object at a minimum of 50 feet 100 feet would be much better. I walk a black dog and when he decides he wants the rabbit or wonders away I like to be able to find him I can always hear him but he is hard to see :ohgeez: What else would you guy's reccomend It will be edc on my belt but I have carried my 3-d mag on my belt before so size is not overly important lol Thanks

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'd be better off with the D-Mini. The Fenixes are more for general use, while the D-Mini is built for throw, and it sounds like that's what you need.

You can get rechargeables from AW or Lighthound (or other sellers) which will give you more output from the D-Mini and guilt-free lumens.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you, I would go with a 2AA cree and not a 1AA since this isnt a EDCsituation. The Fenix L2D CE or the upcoming Lumapower M3(no reviews yet, but it looks promising. Info about the Fenix L2D you can find pretty much anywhere here, and the Lumapower M3 right here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153531&page=1&pp=30&highlight=lumapower

Two other suitable options for your specific task might be the Lumapower M1 run on rechargable 18650 or the ever classic Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxon, both are good small throwers run on cheap batteries.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lumapower_m1.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

100feet is about 30m, right? Don't think any of these lights would have a problem with that, might even be overkill. My old L2p throws easily 30m (if not too much ambient light).
Cheers!

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
opp's ment to say l2d not l1d lol I was looking at the both of them. The only thing I am concernd abought with the fenix is all the different modes? I only want high and low I do not want to be going threw 5 or 6 modes to get to high I do not want a strobe or sos function. what else is out there that run's on aa batteries and is simple two stage high and low?

The other reason I am not likeing the d-mini is the relitivly short runtime I have some 3v rechagebles for it and they seem to run the d-mini for 20 minutes before the light get's noticibly dimmer abought the same as my 2aa magled. other then that The D-mini is awsome and if I had the mony I would keep it but I am a poor flash-a-holic so I must sell this one off to find something that will suit my need's better I do really like the small size and amazing output though :drool:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don`t need to click through all the modes with the Fenix...just keep the head tight. Goes straight to hi...or turbo as Fenix likes to call it.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
If the light is to locate the dog at night, you might want to try using a lighted dog collar. Many of them can be set to either be constantly on, or flashing(flashing will often extend the battery life, and is often easier to see). A flashing collar can be seen farther away than 100 feet, as long as nothing is between you and your dog.
For a light to carry with you, I like the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. It has a good spot beam and is waterproof for those times when you might walk the dog and it starts to rain. If you can wait until the end of March, The Elektrolumens Lucidus XR2 or XR3 would be good choices. I do like the XM-3 that the Lucidus series is meant to replace.

Last edited:

ILL-Luminated

Newly Enlightened
The lighted collar is an EXCELLENT idea!!

You could also upgrade that 3 cell Mag for about $20 USD. The Mag upgrade
puts out some of the purest white light I've ever seen (damn near Angelic).

http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/maglite/led/led-upgrade-module.asp

These TerraLUX mods are also available.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/maglite3d.html

Either upgrade will r-e-a-l-l-y brighten your beam and lengthen your battery life in comparison to the incandesent bulb, plus the swapout is a snap.

Then again, if you want to drop some bank on a much smaller (size & weight), option, the L2D would be a good choice. You are at Turbo with the first click, then off again (only suffering the Strobe mode if the clicky isn't pushed firmly to turn it off, or if it is accidently bumped). I agree the Strobe and SOS aren't a necessity.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mudd Magnet,
IIRC you are using the 3V RCR123's from the Source right? I have them too and I find they do not have the 700 mAh capacity stated on the packaging. Lately they seems more like 350-400 mAh. I don't have any but from what I have read, AW's rechargeables are much better.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
The lighted dog collers are a great idea thanks I thought I had seen something before but I forgot where.

Yes I have been using the cell's from the source. one is dead and the other is still accepting a charge. I was getting 20 minutes out of them before the light dimmed significantly. I think I am going to pick up a 2c mag for now and try some sort of mod with it and hold out for awhile tell something with a cree catches my eye. (lumapower cree 2aa with the throw of the d-mini) :) My 3d is a magled so the only upgrade for me is a couple seouls or crees but then I would need battery packs alum refllectors ect I am going to try something with the 2c mag mayby a single cree or seoul should provide good runtime and alot of light Thanks for the help fellas

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
Brody said:
If the light is to locate the dog at night, you might want to try using a lighted dog collar. Many of them can be set to either be constantly on, or flashing(flashing will often extend the battery life, and is often easier to see). A flashing collar can be seen farther away than 100 feet, as long as nothing is between you and your dog.
For a light to carry with you, I like the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. It has a good spot beam and is waterproof for those times when you might walk the dog and it starts to rain. If you can wait until the end of March, The Elektrolumens Lucidus XR2 or XR3 would be good choices. I do like the XM-3 that the Lucidus series is meant to replace.

+1 on lighted dog collar
+1 on SL PP Lux 4aa
+1 on Electro Lumens Lucidus

(I'm not having a day of original thinking)

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Lumapower will shortly be announcing a 2-stage clicky for the D-mini in about 10 days (give or take). For those that have or are considering getting (like me) the D-mini, it might be worth waiting for.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Yea I was talking to Ricky abought the two stage switch he said he should have something avalible shortly. The d-mini is a great light it was just not what I was looking for (well it was small and alot of throw and lumans) :laughing: But the cr123 cell's are too different for me and the only way for me to get them is online, the short runtime soon to be extended :ohgeez:and surprising the small size combine those three things and it was just too much for me to get used too lol If I had the mony I would definatly keep the d-mini and a healthy supplie of batteries but I don't so I had to sell it to get something that I can use more without having to constently charge or worrie abought not being able to find batteries in a time of need

warpdrive

Enlightened
Dark Vapor said:
Lumapower will shortly be announcing a 2-stage clicky for the D-mini in about 10 days (give or take). For those that have or are considering getting (like me) the D-mini, it might be worth waiting for.

Yup. When this is available, then the D-Mini will be much more usable.

Also, those Ultralast 3V's aren't doing you any favours either. Get some AW rechargeables.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
warpdrive said:
Yup. When this is available, then the D-Mini will be much more usable.

Also, those Ultralast 3V's aren't doing you any favours either. Get some AW rechargeables.

awell I already sold it off :ohgeez:I learnt my lesson to be patient and buy good stuff though If I got the aw cell's from the begining I would probably still have the light and be happy with the cr123 cell's lol thanks for the help fellas I just bought a knife :laughing: and I am still thinking abought what light to buy i'll probably try my hand a mag mod with a 2c for now and I hear aw has some high output c cell's thanks fellas :naughty: