L2 - newbie with a new flashlight that won't light...

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody. I've been a lurker here for a while. I just recently decided to buy an L2, which I got online. It arrived today. I got it out of the box and screwed in the tailcap. It worked in both modes for a minute or two. Then I unscrewed the head (I'm pretty sure I turned the light off first, but maybe didn't, although - correct me if I'm wrong - this surely wouldn't make any difference. When I put the head back on, the light would not work....
I can hear the circuitry working when I put the flashlight to my ear, and can even hear the different frequencies of the low/high settings, but it won't light.
I'm surprised by this happening, especially since this is an LED light, and there's surely nothing much that can break (especially since I didn't even move the L2 around much). I haven't checked the batteries (this is my first proper flashlight, so I don't have any around), but since the flashlight was brand new, with new batteries, and since I can definitely hear the circuitry fire up.
I suspect this might just be a dud LED/head. I just thought I should post in case I'm missing something, or in case anybody else has had this problem. Let me know if any of you has any ideas, before I go down the route of sending the unit to Surefire.
Best wishes.
Jad :poof: :poof:

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

I tried cleaning the contacts, and screwed the head on tight. I even removed the O ring to try that. Still no dice...

I will try new batteries before I send the unit away. I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks!

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I could do that, or else send it to Surefire. I'll do whichever seems quickest. I guess I was trying to avoid either. If nobody has any ideas about the problem, I suppose I must just have a faulty LED/head. Strange that it worked for a while though... Does anybody know if drained batteries could cause the flashlight to make the sounds, but not produce any light?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 on low has a faint whine/pitch sound due to the regulator/resistor taking down the voltage to have a low output. I called up SF and they said it was normal.

Some L2's have a higher whine than others, but yeah its normal.

It depends on where you purchased it from and their turn around time. I think Surefire's lead time is 4-6 weeks.

Jason

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
yeah, so it seems that everything is working except the head. Do LEDs just die like that? I'm surprised, but I suppose manufacturing defects must happen now and then.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the polarity of the cells, if its correct and still doesnt fire up, try fresh new batteries.
Maybe the tailcap was not screwed down properly for contact?
Sometimes we tend to skip the basics. Well I did

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
Tried fresh batteries today, but it didn't work. So I guess the head or the LED is faulty... [sigh] I better get to the post office...

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an L2, but I do have a few other Surefires. I'm wondering if the pockect clip could be not seated as much as possible. This might keep the head from making contact.
My L1's lens would fog up whenever it got used in the rain. I found that the head was bottoming out on the pocket clip, preventing a good seal. I removed the head, tapped the clip down with a plastic hammer and no more leaks.
I just loosened my L1's head to the point where it would not light. It doesn't take much at all. With the head loose enough to not light, I can't even get a piece of paper between the head and body, that seam needs too be super tight or no light. If you see any gap at all between head and body, try tapping your clip down. -Nick

magic79

Enlightened
jadren0s said:
I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks!

I think you are being quite optimistic about SureFire turn-around time.

I'll take my L2 apart when I get home and see if there is anything I can suggest that you haven't tried. Sounds like you've exhausted the possibilities though.:awman:

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I had the EXACT thing happen to me, I couldn't figure it out either. I ended up sending it back to my online shop and they sent me a new one pronto. Never had any problems since. I asked them what was wrong with it out of curiosity and never got a reply back.

WELCOME and Good luck!

jadren0s

Newly Enlightened
Well there's a new one on the way to me now. And SupremeCo (where I bought the unit) have agreed to refund the cost of sending the faulty one back. So not too bad, in the end.

I agree about the clip being a potential cause of this kind of problem, and I tried moving it around to resolve the problem. The clips on these flashlights seem to be the one thing that could be better designed: they are very difficult to remove, and - as someone pointed out in another thread - removing them might compromise the water seal...

Thanks to everybody for help in my hour of need.