labeling batteries

sjb269

Newly Enlightened
My question is this, does anybody mark their batteries with say a sharpie marker to make sure when you have to have a battery with full power you will know which one is fresh. I guess what I mean is do you identify which batteries are not used for "play"? If you loaded a fresh batt. for a special situation and did not use it, would you put it back in the unused pile and reload a slightly used Batt?

jtice

Flashaholic
I did that alittle with my 123 cells. but not any of my rechargable AAs

I found from swaping lights, parts, batts so much, i would end up with a few "used" batts.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes it easier to spot damaged rechargeable cells. It's hard to imagine a world without Sharpies, but somehow our forefathers managed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course they didn't have to contend with NiMH cells.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
absolutely.

Any battery i ever accidently short gets an 'x' on it immediately.. when the 'x' wears out i refresh it.. next time i'll use my labelmaker... p-touch labels are self-laminating.. .my sis in law puts them through the dishwasher and they last a year or more (labels kids sippy cups)... anyhow.. when i first got my LiON AAAs i labeled them 1 2 3 4 so i could keep track.. and 3 ended up with an 'x' when i shorted it by accident.. and sure enough.. it would no longer fully charge when charged at C/2 or even C/3... but i charged it in parallel with 3 other batteries at C/6 and it brought it back to life.

-awr

juancho

Enlightened
I started marking them (rechargeables) with a number on the negative pole after getting the La Crosse charger that show capacity.
Then I keep track of them on a log book, it allow me to mach capacity of a number of cell that I am using, especially now with the Mag85, that you need 9 of them inputting full capacity.
Juan C.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a bunch of batteries I pulled from a lot of stuff in my mom's estate I labelled the alkalines with the voltage I measured on each cell to get an idea how used they were. I also mark nicad cells with a red marker when I get a bad pack to check which cells that are suspiciously low voltage when I recharge them to remove them.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Yes, I use a little thumbnail size sticker to number each battery. I started doing it because I noticed that some batteries seem to charge or wear out quicker than others. If I notice a pattern I can identify a battery that no good or weaker. I keep all batteries from the same package together. Never mixing older with newer or different brands. If I break up a 4 pack with 1, 2, or 3 cell lights I try to use them the same amount before recharging. If I use a group or part of a 4 pack I'll put them in a container marked used. I hope I'm not overdoing it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
yup, I put sequential numbers on pairs of batts and rotate those through the charger/lights. I also have a small batch of batts that I've labelled in groups of 3 (for my headlamps).

GotCoffee

Newly Enlightened
Have to label them. The kid's gameboys, CD player and other electronic stuff. We have both NiMN and NiCad batts for our "toys". The kids know not to mix and to keep them in pairs by number or name. Like the GPS has a pair labeled GPS 1 and 2.