LAPD's new flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I assume there was a set of design goals and criteria that drove this light from concept to reality.

When it is all said and done, the light can be evaluated on its own merits, whatever they be.

It can also be evaluated in terms of its success at meeting the intended criteria. Knowing or guessing at what this criteria might be could be integral to such an evaluation.

The intended criteria and set of requirements themselves can be subject to consideration and discussion if the moderators choose to allow such a discussion. I would guess this is where politics might come into play?!?
icon3.gif

At this point, it would seem that little is really known about this light yet it is open to speculation and second guessing.
biggrin.gif

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:::::note to self...Pelican lights aren't good for beating people over the head::::: :lolsign:

I did find it funny that the Sergeant didn't appear to know how to use the tactical tail switch. He used two hands to turn the light on. At least we got some public awareness of flashlights.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
my buddy is an LAPD officer and this is due to the metal lights being used as a weapon and the affect on the poeple in the city(blah blah lol). All existing officers who have received an SL-20 can continute with a metal light whereas new pfficers signed a form that they will not use a metal flashlight on duty and they get the Pel in the acamedy.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
It's funny, watching the linked news report, my reaction to the new LAPD light was "Meh..."

when the officer was using the incan, aside from being focused in to tight, it wasn't too bad, good color rendition and depth, when he switched to the "angry blue" Pelican LED, i had to stifle a laugh as it just flattened out the reporter and blended him with the background, i actually made out *less* detail with the new Pelican light than with the good ol' Beatin' Stic.....err....MagLite

pop in a good high-output Xenon bulb in that chassis and ou'd have a powerful tool to help our Boys in Blue, as it stands stock, it's too angry blue and it flattens out the subject, *obscuring* details

the screengrabs linked above are great examples of the "LED Flattening Effect"

don't get me wrong, it's a nice light and well constructed, and i do like LED's, it's just that the LED module flattens things out too much, and out in the field, dealing with potential hostiles, being able to correctly identify details on the subject from a safe distance is of paramount importance

KROMATICS

Enlightened
carlsjrman said:
here's a pretty good la times article on the new light:

article

Watch the video in that article:

"He says it's the brightest flashlight he's ever seen... the Pelican 7060 "lead" flashlight"

:lolsign:

The unenlightened can be so silly sometimes...

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
KROMATICS said:
Watch the video in that article:

"He says it's the brightest flashlight he's ever seen... the Pelican 7060 "lead" flashlight"

LOL I missed that! But wait...lead?!? I thought it was supposed to weigh less! :lolsign:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
L.A. police turn to a lighter flashlight

It's quite clear from the article they didn't do any research otherwise they would have realized there are plenty of lights that already meet their needs. It's a classic case of Magliteitis.

More than two years in the making, the 7060 LED was born as a concept in the days after the high-profile beating of Stanley Miller by LAPD officers. The car-theft suspect had been chased to a Compton creek bed in June 2004. News footage that was shot from a helicopter and broadcast worldwide showed an officer striking Miller 11 times with his 2-pound, 2-foot-long flashlight. I wonder which one that was?

In November 2005, the LAPD asked manufacturers to create a flashlight like none other. It could be no longer than 10 inches and could weigh no more than 12 ounces. It needed to provide the powerful illumination of a huge flashlight and be extra durable. And patrol officers wanted a special feature: a dual switch that would allow them to temporarily blind a suspect no matter how the flashlight was held. The dual switch is nice but everything else has been done.

At an early meeting, one potential bidder bowed out, telling representatives from the ultimate winner, Pelican Products, "Good luck."
Surefire? Streamlight? Nerf?

Hara said the specifications alone were enough to drive many vendors out. Some said a 10-inch flashlight as bright as a big flashlight could not be made. Oh?

Union officials openly doubted whether smaller lights could provide as much illumination at crimes scenes as bigger ones. Oh really?

The company devised a unique technology that manipulated and strengthened the light beam by using the mirror cone reflector that surrounded the LED. The design gave off significantly more light than even the brightest normal flashlights
. As opposed to those pesky square reflectors?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KROMATICS said:

Wheras the enlightened are so serious, thoughtful and concise; sticking to fact and reason.

What I find most interesting here so far in the discussion is the sense that LED's are still not viable for real illumination tasks due to their lack of full spectrum output.

It is most unfortunate that the LAPD and Pelican didn't consult with CPF prior to going forward with this light. Bummer.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
McGizmo said:
Wheras the enlightened are so serious, thoughtful and concise; sticking to fact and reason.

What I find most interesting here so far in the discussion is the sense that LED's are still not viable for real illumination tasks due to their lack of full spectrum output.

It is most unfortunate that the LAPD and Pelican didn't consult with CPF prior to going forward with this light. Bummer.
Yeah, the Boys in Blue really should be carrying USL's, they won't have to *beat* perps if they can set them on *fire* instead ;)

I can only imagine the USL training course for officers....
"Don't cross the Beams"
"Why"
"It would be bad"
"I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing, what do you mean 'bad' "
"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light"
"Whoa, total Protonic Reversal"
"Yeah, that's bad, important safety tip, thanks Sarge"

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
Oo I always thought the whole point of a big flashlight was to use it as a weapon, so that you're in a dark alley and can quickly use it to strike someone if needed.

I don't get it... so they can use a baton to beat people, but not a flashlight? Is there a reason behind this?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick answer as to why no political drivel in this thread: It's a (hopefully) technical discussion about this light, not about policies, "beatings" anti or pro police talk. That doesn't fit in this thread or in the General Forum.

-dan

KROMATICS

Enlightened
McGizmo said:

Glad you agree.

It's too bad the LAPD didn't consider the many products already available to them be it incandescent or LED. It's like when people continually get struck by trains at a particluar crossing and they have to fund a research project to see if they need a crossing gate or not.

The article reads like something from 5 years ago. They make it sound like the most advanced flashlight ever produced, boasting about features that we've had for years. It's brighter than a 2D Maglite yet half the size!

The only thing that makes it interesting is the dual-switch. That's something I've always wondered about. It's still a pretty big light and it has crenelations. Seems like a solution looking for a problem. Nice to see flashlights in the news though.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
When I saw the news story this morning I thought I'd check out the model here (Pelican 7060) but didn't find anything. On Pelican's site they call it a Pelican M7 7060, and you can Google a lot of discussion from here on the Pelican M7.
The news ran the story again on the pm news. It is disappointing; they make it sound like a spectacularly bright flashlight heretofore unavailable to anyone. I didn't go to Flashapoluza a few weeks back but wasn't the press going to go to that? It seems the light would look underwhelming compared to the ones at that gathering.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Has anyone actually checked one out before slamming it?
I mean ...l could be a rugged light with some innovative KISS switching and it might just as well sport a Cree or Seoul ... who knows?

I'd like to know if one can switch it on with one switch and then turn it off with the other ... and vice versa?
And what about primary cells :D ?

bernie

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I can tell, this looks like a very good light. The Pelican website lists it as $200 but one of the news reports called a $100 light. They probably had to give LAPD a discount for volume and all the press this is going to give them. Somebody get one and review it please.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.