LAPD's new flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

65535

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
3,320
Location
*Out There* (Irvine, CA)
I wonder if the LAPD would ever open their eyes to far superior and nicer lights, the SF G3 is outstanding, its brighter and it is nicer. HOnestly that light is ugly.
 

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
Messages
4,640
Location
Baden.at
KROMATICS said:
Judging from the nasty blue beam and 130 lumen output I'd say Cree.
What Cree lights have You seen in action? :thinking:
I have three bought Cree lights, a mod with a Cree and three town bike setups (mutilemitter, 2 or 3 each) and none is other than white. Maybe a bit on the yellow/green side. Same goes for ANY beamshot posted in here.
imho these are luxeons
very ugly, price sucks, but thats an agenciey working on public budget, right? :rolleyes:
Funny they did not use the "baton light" that is said to be the cause for the change. That 9P (looks like one, somehow. At least has the size of an 3 CR123 light) surely was WAY better.
 
Last edited:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
563
Kiessling said:
Has anyone actually checked one out before slamming it?
I mean ...l could be a rugged light with some innovative KISS switching and it might just as well sport a Cree or Seoul ... who knows?

I'd like to know if one can switch it on with one switch and then turn it off with the other ... and vice versa?
And what about primary cells :D ?

bernie

Never said it was a bad light. It's actually pretty nice aside from the poor beam tint. Just that they are making it out to be the most advanced light in the world and that it's pretty clear they went into this thinking Maglites were the benchmark upon which all others are judged. Just read the article.

I'm pretty sure it's a Seoul but certainly not an X0 bin that's for sure. It's just way too blue. I believe either switch takes priority once activated. I'd like to see it with a different material like the "Nitrolon" that Surefire uses as opposed to the harder plastics. It's also quite large considering the runtime. They should have made it a dual mode, at least through the tailcap switch.

All in all a nice light but it could do with a better LED in terms of tint and maybe a high/low mode.
 

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
563
yellow said:
What Cree lights have You seen in action? :thinking:
I have three bought Cree lights, a mod with a Cree and three town bike setups (mutilemitter, 2 or 3 each) and none is other than white. Maybe a bit on the yellow/green side. Same goes for ANY beamshot posted in here.
imho these are luxeons
very ugly, price sucks, but thats an agenciey working on public budget, right? :rolleyes:
Funny they did not use the "baton light" that is said to be the cause for the change. That 9P (looks like one, somehow. At least has the size of an 3 CR123 light) surely was WAY better.

At 130 lumens it is most likely a Cree XR-E or Seoul P4. I believe the Seoul tends to be more blue than the Cree even with the higher bins so that may be it.
 

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 11, 2000
Messages
3,885
Location
East Bay, Cali.
65535 said:
I wonder if the LAPD would ever open their eyes to far superior and nicer lights, the SF G3 is outstanding, its brighter and it is nicer. HOnestly that light is ugly.


A G3 or any 123 powered light isn't a duty light, it's a tac. light, with different uses and tasks. Anyways, imagine the bill to supply 8000+ Officers with 123 cells, three each per Officer, on an hourly use basis.

-dan
 

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
1,171
Location
Ohio
Most departments don't supply batteries. Ours allows us to purchase batteries on our uniform allowance but who wants to spend $ on batteries all year. This is why most police officers prefer rechargeable flashlights. This light looks great. Looks like a Cree beam to me.....my guess
 

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
563
dano said:
A G3 or any 123 powered light isn't a duty light, it's a tac. light, with different uses and tasks. Anyways, imagine the bill to supply 8000+ Officers with 123 cells, three each per Officer, on an hourly use basis.

-dan

A specially designed version of the 8NX Commander would be nice. If Surefire was one of the companies that participated I wonder what they proposed?
 

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
581
Location
New Mexico
Ok, I have to ask this... Did anybody EVER consider a particular attribute of most cameras called "White Balance"? If that camera they were using for the news segment was set for an incandescent white balance, the LED would indeed be likely to appear very blue-ish.
 

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
1,380
Location
39.42N 86.42 W
KROMATICS said:
A specially designed version of the 8NX Commander would be nice. If Surefire was one of the companies that participated I wonder what they proposed?

An 8NX with 3600 NIMH cells would be killer. Wait. I have one of those. It is killer.

Made the battery stick from a dead NiCd B90.
 

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Oct 9, 2001
Messages
179
Location
Alhambra, CA
KROMATICS said:
Here are some images of the light:

http://pelican7060.com/images.html

One of those pics says the LED is a 1 watt.
So, it's incredibly bad timing that the CREE and SSC came out a few months ago, while the conception date of this flashlight was 2004. It probably was bright by 2004 standards, but with today's 3W CREE and SSCs?
In any case, the irritating thing is the way KCAL9 and CBS2 (approximately identical news stories) hype it.
 

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
1,550
My guess is they meant a Cree XRE running at 1 Ah. That would 130 lumens possible. Somebody please get one and see what is has.

Scott Packard said:
One of those pics says the LED is a 1 watt.
So, it's incredibly bad timing that the CREE and SSC came out a few months ago, while the conception date of this flashlight was 2004. It probably was bright by 2004 standards, but with today's 3W CREE and SSCs?
In any case, the irritating thing is the way KCAL9 and CBS2 (approximately identical news stories) hype it.
 
Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,386
Location
California
Art Vandelay said:
My guess is they meant a Cree XRE running at 1 Ah. That would 130 lumens possible. Somebody please get one and see what is has.
That's way too low for a Cree or Seoul, which can put out as much as 200 lumens out the front at maximum drive (1A). My guess it it's probably an earlier generation emitter (top bin Luxeon) and they're reporting lumens at the LED. Since consumptoin is reputed to be 4.4 watts, that's about 60 lumens per watt -- about in line with typical Luxeon efficiency at high current. A Cree could produce 130 bulb lumens from less than half the power.

At 130 lumens it is most likely a Cree XR-E or Seoul P4. I believe the Seoul tends to be more blue than the Cree even with the higher bins so that may be it.
most Seoul LEDs I've seen look VERY blue, Cree on the other hand generally produces LEDs that produce less lumens overall, but more useful lumens in that they are more toward the yellow/green portion of the spectrum -- other than the red component being a little bit weak, I think they're excellent for color rendering. Also, they tend to throw warmer/yellower light out to the sides, so in reflector lights, the hotpsot ends up being a warmer white than with most LEDs.
 

Supernam

Enlightened
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
753
Location
Irvine, CA
ErickThakrar said:
Ok, I have to ask this... Did anybody EVER consider a particular attribute of most cameras called "White Balance"? If that camera they were using for the news segment was set for an incandescent white balance, the LED would indeed be likely to appear very blue-ish.

I agree that the camera makes the blueness bluer than it would appear if we saw it in real life. However, the difference in color rendition between LED and incandescent is still real. Had the camera been white balanced to say daylight, or even to the LED's tint, the incandescent (while showing way more yellow) would still provide better depth perception and color rendition. This is because LEDs emit a white light that is not composed of all of the bands of light equally relative to sunlight (remember those red, blue, green graphs?).

Regardless, I agree that everyone in the segment was quite unenlightened (esp the sergeant that didn't know how to operate the light "tactically" LOL)

Also, why not just issue Streamlight Stingers? Cheap, reliable, proven. Not cutting edge technology, but hey now theres the LED stinger! Rechargeable LED, perfect for duty use if you ask me.
 

steve_vance

Enlightened
Joined
Feb 27, 2003
Messages
474
Location
Bucks County,Penna
PoliceScannerMan said:
Is it a luxeon, cree, SSC? Looked decently bright on the news link.

according to my contact at Pelican, it is an SSC P4.

And to answer the question above about it being polymer, that was the spec specified by LAPD. The light has a metal section on the housing, up near the reflector, that serves as a heatsink. LAPD ordered 9100 pieces, so the availability for civilian purchase will be June 2007 or so.

To answer another question asked above, about the original spec being for a 1-watt LED, the spec has been updated and revised along the way to account for development of higher-powered LEDs becoming available. Final selection for LED sourcing was the P4.

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
1,550
Cree says "the XR-E produces luminous flux of up to 210 lumens at 1A, with typical luminous flux of 176 lumens" 176 is probably closer to the the typical measure of a random XR-E off the shelf, and those are not "out the front" numbers.
http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i=1169819309344

2xTrinity said:
That's way too low for a Cree or Seoul, which can put out as much as 200 lumens out the front at maximum drive (1A). My guess it it's probably an earlier generation emitter (top bin Luxeon) and they're reporting lumens at the LED. Since consumptoin is reputed to be 4.4 watts, that's about 60 lumens per watt -- about in line with typical Luxeon efficiency at high current. A Cree could produce 130 bulb lumens from less than half the power.


most Seoul LEDs I've seen look VERY blue, Cree on the other hand generally produces LEDs that produce less lumens overall, but more useful lumens in that they are more toward the yellow/green portion of the spectrum -- other than the red component being a little bit weak, I think they're excellent for color rendering. Also, they tend to throw warmer/yellower light out to the sides, so in reflector lights, the hotpsot ends up being a warmer white than with most LEDs.
 

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
3,975
Location
Brooklyn NY
The LED is probably fine for their purposes. Most guys drain their batteries so quickly, they're not even 1/2 as bright as the demo one.

BTW: I was in the hardware store one day, a guy from the hood goes "hey, those are the n***a beater flashlights the cops use" pointing to a 3D mag
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top