LAPD's new flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

WNG

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
BTW: I was in the hardware store one day, a guy from the hood goes "hey, those are the n***a beater flashlights the cops use" pointing to a 3D mag

ROFLMAO!

I just can't believe LA city hall was allowed to get away with this. Politicising a flashlight, then taking away their 'deadly' MAGs and using tax money to spec out and buy these Pelicans. Neutered light?
Can't they just smack the perp with their issued kobutans?
What's next...spec them to be made of licorice?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Most police departments (including mine) really do very little research at all before purchasing anything for the officers.....I have found there are many financial and personal interests that are involved thus the final outcome is equipment that could be far better at a lesser cost.

The light "looks" fairly nice and I will not say anything about the actual performance without having one myself. I will say that Pelican as a whole do make some nice lights and the PM6 Luxeon is still one of my old "go to" lights and a rugged performer.

For patrol use a rechargeable is a must and this would be a limiting factor if using only one battery pack at 3.7 volts in a luxeon......Imagine the discount they could have had if ordering 9000 lights from Wolf-Eyes in say the 9 volt Raider set up....roughly the same size, rechargeable and incredible performance with the superior (in my opinion) color rendition and throw of an incandescent.

I honestly do not understand as to how such a large Department figured a patrol light had to be a luxeon in order to be small and light....there are many incandescents that do very well and I carry one nightly (Raider) I honestly assumed that LAPD of any would already know about the many lights available however as stated above there could be many other factors involved that have nothing to do with what would actually be better for the officers.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should have taken a lesson from LASD and bought the TigerLight. I use mine often and it's too short to be a weapon (FBOP model).
:touche:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
interresting Pelican informed that there are SSCs used.
If there is some reason there no shot from the front at all within the pics?

Those specs clearly show a Luxeon and imho a K2.
That massive front part (with a heatsink?) is an indication for this. Maybe planned for a K2 or a Lux V and just switching to the new and better led?

Should run longer with a SSC (and less blue with a Cree) in the future

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they planned for a Luxeon, then switched to a SSC. Some of the best reviews I have seen are of lights like that.

yellow said:
interresting Pelican informed that there are SSCs used.
If there some reason there is no shot from the front at all within the pics?

Those specs clearly show a Luxeon and imho a K2.
That massive front part (with a heatsink?) is an indication for this. Maybe planned for a K2 or a Lux V and just switching to the new and better led?

Should run longer with a SSC (and less blue with a Cree) in the future

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree says "the XR-E produces luminous flux of up to 210 lumens at 1A, with typical luminous flux of 176 lumens" 176 is probably closer to the the typical measure of a random XR-E off the shelf, and those are not "out the front" numbers.
http://www.cree.com/press/press_det...i=1169819309344
You're right, I was thinking of the Seoul numbers, but even t hose are too low, at I believe 200-240lm @1A (gross). Even a Seoul U-Bin emitter that tests 240 in hte lab will probalby be a bit under 240 real-world, and assuming 20% losses, that's back down to more like 170.

If this is tested to be 130 minimum out the front, then I'd say based on the power specs (4 watts) they'd have to be using a Seoul or a Cree. If it's idealized lumens (based on data sheets) at the bulb, probably a Luxeon. Amazing how marketing spin can basically create a 2:1 swing in reported vs real lumens.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I just don't get it.

We see a new light from a very resprected manufacturer with a good track record ... a light that was ordered to be plastic by the LAPD, a light that had to be rechargeable and uses Li-Ion technology and can be cradle-charged (looking at the pics). A light that uses the newest most bad-assed LED out there. A light that is a multitude more efficient than incan lights and that has the punch to cut through the night for an extended period of time ... a punch that meake the ghostly blue from past time LEDs a thing from yesterday. A light that has two different switches ... for different situations and people.

And ... what do we see?
CPFers slamming it. Without even knowing it.
CPFers speculating ... and slamming it in the same time. Without even knowing it.

No one has reviewed or tested this light on CPF .. yet it gets all kind of negative and nasty propaganda.

Why is that?

I am somewhat ashamed of the spirit that manifests itself in this thread. We CPFers who claim to be the "light experts" ... should we be the ones passing judgement on a light in this manner? I think not.

bernie

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the light sounds great so far. I'd love see a review from somebody who has actually seen one. It seems like some are reacting to the politics of the way this is being sold to the public. In this case it is the LAPD bosses who are spinning what otherwise would be hard to justify, into good press (including pictures in the paper and everything). They could have tried "Sure the budget is tight but there is no better way to spend two million dollars than buying a custom made flashlight for everybody in the department". I don't think that would have gone over very well.:)

Kiessling said:
I just don't get it.

We see a new light from a very resprected manufacturer with a good track record ... a light that was ordered to be plastic by the LAPD, a light that had to be rechargeable and uses Li-Ion technology and can be cradle-charged (looking at the pics). A light that uses the newest most bad-assed LED out there. A light that is a multitude more efficient than incan lights and that has the punch to cut through the night for an extended period of time ... a punch that meake the ghostly blue from past time LEDs a thing from yesterday. A light that has two different switches ... for different situations and people.

And ... what do we see?
CPFers slamming it. Without even knowing it.
CPFers speculating ... and slamming it in the same time. Without even knowing it.

No one has reviewed or tested this light on CPF .. yet it gets all kind of negative and nasty propaganda.

Why is that?

I am somewhat ashamed of the spirit that manifests itself in this thread. We CPFers who claim to be the "light experts" ... should we be the ones passing judgement on a light in this manner? I think not.

bernie

byron8

Newly Enlightened
I thought the trend these days was "Off the Shelf" and not custom anymore because of cost, parts and proven reliability and support. They are putting these in the hands of LEO's without being street proven. I and several other's have owned Pelican's and will never buy one again because of problems. The only politics I see in this thing is having a local company design it at the lowest cost the LAPD would want to pay. For $200 who here will buy that light when it is already obsolete and not a proven performer. Not to mention no strobe, etc.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Kiessling,

It's not so much the light as what's behind it.

(A) The hype behind the developement of the light in which pre-existing features that we've had for years are claimed as revolutionary to the flashlight industry. The "A light brighter than the 2D Maglite yet half the size was impossible until now" type of comments.

(B) The idea that a smaller flashlight solves the problem of police brutality. A violent person will use whatever is in their hands. Like I said before, it's a solution looking for a problem.

On its own it's a nice light and I may even get one.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
This month makes four years since they said they were going to take "several months" to design a light.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
I just don't get it.
One reason: size. Surefire and Streamlight have been making flashlights since the early 90's that can be easily worn on the belt. Gone are the days when you had to grab your flashlight whenever you got out of your patrol car. We also now have easier to carry impact weapons, such as the Asp. If you go further back in time LEOs had to screw on their hats whenever they left the car. The overall trend is to free up your hands, and large flashlights make this a problem. The only real advantage of a longer light is being able to grip it better when you hold it under your arm, and that maybe one reason why the very small Strion wasn't the success the Stinger has been.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see how well this sells to the rest of the law enforcement community. I think the street price will have a big bearing on that. I see quite a few Inova T4s in my area. I imagine the Streamlight Stinger LEDs will become popular. The Surefire L7s prices probably scares a few people away. I don't think that there are that many rechargeable LED flashlights that have a cradle charger. And the ones that specifically have lithium ion batteries probably narrows the field even more. Is the Inova T4 the most similar light in terms of:

-LED

-rechargeable lithium ion

-cradle charger

or are there others with those three specific features?

greenstuffs

Banned
i got flattered by the TV interview, both the LAPD officer and the Reporter had no idea what they were talking about, "brightspot" instead of the hotspot or terms like "throw" were never used. It does not look like the reporters do enough research before they do anything.

This is a step backwards IMO angry blue and ugly ubber tactical nitrolon flashlight does not make a good combo. No modes, strobe and it may even not have regulation for this POS $200 flashlight.
Come on this is the ubber hype. 2 bills buys you a M3 =) or 2 9v falcatas. Incan will always have a place with me :D
-Le

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I think this is actually a pretty cool light. Dual switches and in-body charging (right?) for a polymer light seems pretty sweet to me...

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. If the street price can come down to about $100 for the general public, I think it will sell. I think that a lot of coppers will make the inevitable comparison to the Inova T4 and the Streamlight Stinger LED, and if it is more expensive than those lights, an awful lot of people will pass by this in favor of the other two. One of the big selling points for coppers right now on the Streamlight Stinger LED is the fact that it uses existing chargers. Also, Steamlight is a name that a lot of folks in public safety are already familiar with.

I also suspect that someone at Brigade Quartermasters will be arranging for a Lightsaver IQ Switch Upgrade Tail Cap for the Pelican.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/brands3.tam?brand.ctx=lightsaver

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154624&highlight=Lightsaver

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This is a step backwards IMO angry blue and ugly ubber tactical nitrolon flashlight does not make a good combo. No modes, strobe and it may even not have regulation for this POS $200 flashlight.

The "angry blue" is quite possibly to some extent due to ambient lighting as well as color balance as has been suggested. Even if the blue tint is dominant in a "neutral" setting, wouldn't this be due primarily to the specific LED in the light and its binning?!?! If the sample had had a green tinted LED would the claim that the LAPD light had a puke green tint hold for all LAPD lights?

In the utter void of information presently known, it is a possibility that the light doesn't have regulation but is there any reason to consider this to actually be the case? (beyond using this assumption as an additional mark against the light)

This project has been open for a few years it seems and it would appear that some are assuming then that the technology as well as LED used is old technology. More assumption and speculation; not necessarily incorrect but is there any information to support this either?

If the void is filled with speculation it may need to be cleared out to make room for fact once fact is known and if it is in conflict with that speculated.

On the lack of modes and strobe, we used to have an active member here on the board who was a flashaholic and homicide detective for LAPD as I recall. He really liked a few of my lights that had two stage switching and basically told me that his quest for the light he wanted had been satisfied. He also told me that it was most unlikely that the LAPD would consider a light having more than one mode because of liability issues. He seemed to be very in tune with the official stance taken by the LAPD and although he didn't agree with it, he understood its roots and accepted it for what it was. I believe that officers have some latitude in personal choice beyond "standard issue" but that standard issue has restrictions and qualifications that preclude more complex and sophisticated tools that may be available as well as arguably more versatile. For instance, it may be that a SWAT team member could elect to use a Gladius for a tactical light but I suspect that the Gladius would not be considered as a standard issue light because of its various modes and for that reason alone.

The "three way" switch with momentary or latched on access from either tail or side is a first to my knowledge and it seems to allow two schools of thought to both have it their way. If this was one of the prime objectives in criteria then I can see why a "custom" light was required.
icon3.gif

reltor

Newly Enlightened
I don't see a problem with the switch. Now the cops will have to shoot someone:xyxgun: when they don't comply instead of a 11 hits with a light.

We know whats coming next they'll have to turn in their hard firearms for foam padded ones in case they have to pistol whip someone to keep from being disarmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.