Laptops-gamers for work

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got a new Dr Battery for my Asus G73. When plugged in it says "100% charged" now.
Yay.
Unplugged it says a whopping "2 hours-34 minutes" again.
woohoo!!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work the other night I pulled out the shiney new iPad to look at some pdf plans. 200+ pages. I wanted to see something near the back page so I scroll and scroll and it jumps back to page 1. Hmmm, ok scroll and scroll again and it jumps back to page 1 again.

What thuh? Try a different app and same thing. I'm thinking I'd wasted money on this stupid thing. But last night while looking at some blogs where folks were saying they had that issue too I see this one guy says "open it in the books app". It seems the pdf reader on an iPad is a viewer with limited memory so when it maxes out it prompts back to start.

So after copying that set of plans and other pdf files to books viola! Works like a charm. Now I could see opening my spec "book" in books, but it never dawned on me that using the books app is the way to read plans too. Duh! I felt kinda embarrassed really.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
It is crazy what gaming pcs do now. But I'm old enough to recall having fun playing an Atari 2600 we had just as much fun with it as the people do today with there ps5s lol. A course on the 2600 are cars looked more like the letter H but we was still mind blown how good it looked lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still think its crazy the specs we need to play modern gmaes when us old folks had funing playing pit fall which will run on like a 1 mhz cpu lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup.
Mario Bros Mario Kart was about as complicated as I liked. When 64 came out with all of those extra buttons and chest codes that was it for me.

I work with whizz kids who use blue beam and other intense software on a Dell Lattitude and I ask them "is this ok?" Them being used to lightning fast loads and what-not, they find it very frustrating using a laptop with shared user card that gets warm enough to reheat leftovers in about 2 minutes. They reply "I'm getting paid by the hour so....."

The Dell(s) we are provided by the mother ship is a nice computer for spreadsheets and small pdf's. Very reliable. And when I requested an XPS to replace my Lattitude 1790 the IT guy laughed.

I miss flying toasters.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Being an 80's kid, I also went NES -> SNES -> N64. But after that, I switched to PC for my gaming fixes. And desktop PC's at that, I was never into the limitations of laptop gaming. Whenever I looked at a gaming laptop, they were always VERY expensive compared to their desktop brethren, haulable instead of carryable, battery life was essentially non-existent, and the performance was not even close to a desktop of the same price.

My first laptop was a Asus N73Jn from 2011 (seriously, I would have LOVED to have a G73S back then). Bought it as a "limited time desktop replacement" at the time, as my desktop motherboard at the time had decided to say goodbye (and now hangs on my "throphy wall") in front of me.
17,3" screen, and I still today refuse to have a smaller monitor on my laptop. Upgraded the HDD and added a second HDD in the first week, which later became SSD + HDD, and then SSD + SSD. The N73 still works, but has been reduced to offline-only, backup / SSD cloning duty (old Acronis software that only works with Windows 7).

I put it back into a trial service, with a Windows 10 SSD, for school in 2018-2019, but quickly found the CPU to no longer satisfy my needs, so in 2021 I upgraded my then 10-year old Asus...with another Asus, the TUF A17. AMD 4800H, with 4 times the core count. I never did any real gaming on the laptop (the old "N"-series was an "eNtertainment" - movies etc. - laptop anyway), so all I wanted from the new laptop was a good CPU. I had built a myself a new gaming desktop anyway.

@bykfixer If you like your games uncomplicated and not stressful, and with low graphic requirements, and you enjoy physics puzzles, I can heartily recommend these two:
Portal and Portal 2

And
The Talos Principle

I have completed Portal and Portal 2, which I found to be fairly easy, but the later levels of The Talos Principle...man, when I have to keep track of 7 moving things at the same time, AND mentally keep track of the timing on at least 2 of those 7 things to progress a maze...that's when my braincells does the can-can dance in front of my eyeballs before I briefly just shut down in my chair.

On the plus side, there is no time limit. No weapons, and no enemies to watch out for. It is strictly a non-violent, extremely difficult puzzle game. And secrets - it got LOTS of secrets! On each level, all you have to do is find your way in separate mazes, and find the key in each of them to progress to the next level. And if you are really good and / or lucky, you will find the Tetris pieces too. And the hidden stars. Find enough stars and you can access the secret levels. And with enough Tetris pieces, you can get more stars, and if you have enough of both, you can unlock the secret, secret levels. Which are more difficult than I can put into words.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I play solitaire on my iPad mini and that's about for gaming. Mrs Fixer plays puzzle games on her big iPad.
😲

1719678304136.gif

"The way it's meant to be played" is
1719678532462.png

(y)

Seriously though, is your old G73 still in use or available? I bet it's still a decent machine for the games I listed above.
Talos Principle will probably suffer a bit, but that is not a graphically intensive game so it could be worth a try if you're interested.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I think game programmers are payed to make games that require hardware so we have to upgrade I'd bet a a good programmer can make amazing looking games run on a ps3

bykfixer

Flashaholic
😲

View attachment 64130

"The way it's meant to be played" is
View attachment 64134
(y)

Seriously though, is your old G73 still in use or available? I bet it's still a decent machine for the games I listed above.
Talos Principle will probably suffer a bit, but that is not a graphically intensive game so it could be worth a try if you're interested.
Mine is still in use on occasion. It started running hot at one point so I deleted a whole bunch of editing software and it ran icey cool again.

Latest posts