largest hotspot wanted

CQB

Enlightened
Hi:

Question for you guys:

I want suggestions (led or incan) for the following:

- a FL that has good throw (think SF turbohead) where we're able to light up a target at 'x' distance away...
- same FL should also be able to be used to light up a medium-large area (ie. flood) up close... without refocussing the beam.

Now how do I think a FL can accomplish that - throw AND flood at the same time?

I was thinking if the beam's HOTSPOT was relatively *large* then upclose it would light up a large area... and from afar, the same hotspot would still be intense enough to throw, even if it is large.

I am guessing the smaller & tighter a hotspot is the farther it throws, right? I am hoping that this rule can be bent... IF... the beam's hotspot is bright enough to begin with, so even if the hotspot is not tight per se, it still can throw a bit.

I am thinking either the SF M6 or 10X or one of the SuperMags (ie. Mag85) would do the trick, eh? I also am guessing that the M4 or M3T would *not* do the trick IF the hotspot is too small for what I have in mind for close quarters use.

ok, here's what brought this up...

I used two FLs tonight: my SF C3 and my Aleph III. Both use 3 cells.

I'm patrolling outdoors (so there's some ambient light) and i come across a darker section of our property. And I see that some yahoo thought it was a good idea to tip over the donation bin for the Salvation Army. Nice.

In any case, nothing too exciting to report so dont worry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It *was* dark though and it was also raining hard. I needed to see clearly as I didnt want to accidently walk into the yahoo if he was sleeping beside the bin he had just tipped over, etc.

First, I was still in my vehicle trying to assess if someone was still there, so I was using both lights - perhaps more so to simply compare each of their beams... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. The C3 lit up a larger area simply b/c the hotspot is larger. The A3 lit up a smaller area since it's designed more for throw. (And yes I did eventually use my headlights as well, but where's the fun in that?!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I then got out of my truck and now, while on foot and out in the open, all I wanted was "as much light as was possible". The brighter the flood the better. Or should I say, the larger the hotspot the better....? My A3 was NOT doing such a good job, as I slowly walked towards the bin and shrubbery. The hotspot was just too small, and perhaps the ambient light also dilluted the beam's intensity. My C3 OTOH kicked! IMO, I think it was due to the C3's larger hotspot (and not due to the size of the beam's spill) plus it was an incan and was able to hold up to the ambient lighting.

Thankfully it was all clear so i jumped back into my truck and headed to the computer to post my questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So to recap: I am asking if any of you guys can think of, and suggest, a FL that has a bright enough hotspot that THROWS, but also is large enough to give off a WALL of light when used up close?

Or is the general rule "the tighter the hotspot the farther the throw" where the inverse applies as well... "the larger the hotspot the less it throws"? I mean, lasers throw the farthest and I am guessing it's b/c of how tight the light is focussed (you know what I mean). Anyway, there's my query. Much appreciated...!

CQB

ps. I dont know too much about HIDs either. Generally, are the hotspots small and tight? That is my understanding, and I dont want the hotspot too tight since I still want a nice wall of light as well.

CQB

Enlightened
tks Mike! Yes I actually DO have the TSP, I just didnt have it with me at the time. I agree. The TSP does have great throw AND flood capabilities.

I'll see what other lights people are able to suggest....

tks again
CQB

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm..

As with any light you only have a fixed amount of lumens to work with. Throw lights tend to focus the available light into a very tight hotspot to reach far away at the expense of spill light and hotspot size. Lights with nice hotspots do not throw far.

Just like the garden hose without a nice nozzle.. just the hose end. You'd squeeze the end of the hose so as to narrow the water jet to reach further, and let it go when you need to flood the area. Unfortunately you can't get both flood and throw unless you increase the amount of light.

I know what you want, it's exactly what I want, we want a light that makes absolutely no compromises in either department. I notice you have a Mag74 in the pipeline, well, hurry it up! Crap I should have bought some of litho123's potted WA1185s and sold them to you. I think you won't object to carrying a 3D Mag85 once you have witnessed the power and the promise of the awesome '85. Throw, flood, spill, everything. Floodlights a building at 330 yards, capable of blinding yours truly with a REFLECTION at 10 feet. The spill (corona) of the '85 is almost as intense as the hotspot of the smaller Surefires...

Say, why aren't you on the bwaites USL sign up list? The Ultimate Stealthlight is a 2D (your favorite formfactor) and puts out a mind-bending 3000 lumens of light for 12 minutes using a 100W bulb that makes the Mag85 look like a toy. I think all you have to do is turn that on at close range to make whatever is out there howl, scream and run away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif wall of light? Instant-suntan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only downside to the USL is runtime, but for those occasions where you absolutely, positively, need *EVERYTHING* you could ask for, the USL delivers. It's CPF's answer to the Beast. The Beast has longer runtime (90 minutes) but no instant first strike like an incan and no rechargeable option. The USL is NiMH powered.

Life begins at 100 lumens. The wicked sick fun begins at >500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
CQB,

No light yet!

I sent one to the Netherlands the same day!

Yours had to go 300 miles. his more than 5000!

There is that Canadian postal system that messes with us so often!

Your problem may be solved by the Mag74!

Nice, big, meaty spot, good throw!

Bill

CQB

Enlightened
Kev: heheh, tks for the comments man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yeah, as soon as I receive my mag74 I may be content with it... for a short while anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yes it sounds like we *both* are looking for that perfect "non-compromising" piece of kit (well said!) ...... *sigh*. I may very well get me one of those Mag85's I always hear about.... aauugghh!

Bill, you'll probably get another PM from me one day, sooner rather than later... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And as for the Cdn postal system... yes I too am starting to wonder! Did your Netherlands customer receive their light already?! I'm giving it till Monday before I start ripping heads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I am hoping I get a nice visit from Mr PostMan today.....

Tks again for everyone's comments and empathy.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
CQB

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get on the USL list! And use Federal Express! (they're customs-pre-cleared, and so on.. helps them get there faster). For my U2 I went with Global Express (USPS GX), trackable and all. For some lights compromise is not an option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I was quite happy with my '85 as the be-all-end-all lumen king, but then this Bill guy had to wave the USL at me and I caved in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

As for the '85....BUY IT! BUY IT!! DO IT ANYWAY!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am actually getting a '74 as well driven by high current cells. It's an upgrade for a Mag4D that needs to get a life. You are using AA NiMH, I am going to stuff some Sub-C or 1/2D high-cap cells into it for more runtime, since I already have the 4D body so I might as well make the most of it.

The non-flashaholics used to go "uhh, whatever" when I pulled out my lights.. but nobody goes "whatever" to the superbulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif