Laser pointer for daily use

ankitgu

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for any recommendations for a red laser pointer that is used regularly. The main use case is at home with my cat so it probably shouldn't be too strong for safety.

The key issue for me is how often we go through weirdly sized batteries. Are there any other laser pointers I should consider that might use more standard sizes (AAA, CR123A, etc.) or even something that is rechargeable? I am flexible on other items such as the size of the laser pointer.

Thanks.

fnhfive7

Newly Enlightened
Sanwu Lasers & Luck Lasers both have quality laser pointers. But, I can't remember offhand if either has any that won't catch your cat on fire...surely they do. The Sanwu "Pocket" series are super cool but pretty sure they are way too much power.

etudiant

Newly Enlightened
Not a cat owner, so cannot opine on how long a laser will entertain your cat, but am a very happy customer of Sanwu's green laser pointer.
Note that it requires 2 18650 rechargeable batteries, so those and the needed charger will probably at least triple your initial $15 outlay for the pointer. But surely moggie is well worth the expense....

gustavovideo

Newly Enlightened
A very low power 1mW, 5mW red laser pointer is safe and easy to use. It is enough for formal close distance and inner room presentation works. If there is no use of it, inner part of alkaline battery should be put out from tube.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
5mw is more than enough for a cat, i play with my cat using cheap laser pointer. i do not do it everyday, but i've been using the same pointer since i got him as a tiny kitten, The cat is 8 years old, but still chases it like it is his first time.

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
Just came across this thread. Ironically I ordered two Sanwu lasers today. 7 watt blue and a 1.4 watt violet. I already have a 1.2 watt green and two of their pocket series lasers

Don't forget your safety glasses! Upgraded to some OD 6 ones