Latest 2xAAA pen lights?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
.... the Preon 2 -- the UI as it relates to self defense. I emailed Foursevens........I even offered to pay them to develop one, since the Preon 2 has the best form factor I've seen so far in a 2 AAA high output light......

You REALLY gotta wonder how difficult it would be to offer the Preon 2 with one mode only? Alternatively, they could utilize their "tactical" UI like they offer in so many other fine lights (of which I have about a dozen). I truly believe Preon 2 with "tactical" UI would satisfy almost everyone...............

spearcrow

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a preon II thinking it would blow away my protac 2 AAA, and while they have both been great lights for me, I have gone back to daily carrying my protac. It is supposedly like half the lumens, and maybe I just don't use it in a way that brings out the best in the preon 2, but I swear the pro tac seems as bright or better. Maybe it just floods better? I also like the pro tac's simple clickie. Comes on high and offers a low beam as well. A little bigger than the preon2, but it rides just as easy, and is easier for me to hold and use.

thunberg

Newly Enlightened
I thought I'd update this thread with the following:

1. I wasn't a fan of the EPLI, didn't like the bulk, the clip, and even though it had a "high first" UI, I didn't like clicking through the other modes if I needed to activate high, turn it off, move, and then repeat (during training).

2. I've been carrying the PN20a2 because it has the absolute best UI I've found, hands down, in that it's consistent -- leave the head tight and you'll always have "high first" no matter how many clicks at whatever rate. Unfortunately though, this has not proved to be a durable light as I've gone through 3 of them, and it usually is a result of operating in a salt water (tropical) environment and the switch seizing up.

3. I recently bought a second generation Preon 2 since they added the ability to change UIs, but although I really truly wanted to like this light, FourSevens is still unable to design a tailcap button that doesn't stick 30% of the time, and in my case the button has already failed in the two months I've owned it as it now only functions as momentary on.

So back to the PN20a2, and at this point I've decided to basically clone it in Titanium with a higher spec switch -- I'll post info when I get around to making it.

Latest posts