Law Enforcement: Small & Medium

zackwatt

Newly Enlightened
Great site you have here! I'm a total rookie to flashlight ownership.

I've done a bunch of reading and I wanted see what you guys thought of my selection before I purchased.

I'm looking for both a small and a medium sized flashlight.

Here are my initial requirements:

Small
1. Momentary On able to be cycled while weapon is drawn.
2. Main use would be room clearing.
3. Durable and water resistant.
4. Best illumination for the money.
5. Budget under $300
6. At least 2 hours at max setting.

- My conclusion: Fenix TK35-UE

Medium
1. Two is one & one is none.
2. Belt ring carry.
5. Budget under $300.
7. Does what the small one doesn't.

Initial thought: Led Lenser P17.2

Upon further research, it seems I can do better than the P17...

- My conclusion: Fenix TK41

zackwatt

Newly Enlightened
Also,

I'm considering a large output light to carry in my bag. Something in the 2000+ lumens range.

Large
1. Durable and water resistant.
2. Best illumination for the money.
3. Budget under $500.
4. Around 2 hours at max setting.

- My conclusion: Fenix TK70

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What country are you in? After some experiences (and a friend's) with Fenix lights failing, I would be hesitant to deploy them in a LEO role.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Fenix lights and use them hard. Maybe not like loe would, but they have been great.

The tk75 is a great light too.
Can use a tube extension for more than double the runtimes.
Mine gas been supercharged by a Modder here vinhnguyen54.
It has 4000lm and 300kcd

Far more than the stock 2900 100kcd

Vinh has also sold many mx25l3 to law enforcement . I could definitely see why. Side and rear click, super bright 2700lm plenty of modes. Eagletac makes a durable light.
Also no cell carrier. Just load the batteries and go . You can also set on a mode and it will always come on at that brightness. If you want high mode, just hold the button to get max.

Police said they like it because with 1 button press they can go from reading papers, to scanning for guys like me ;)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a PD32UE switch fail on me. Wouldn't turn on at all. But it was a five minute fix (three of them reading instructions) and it works fine now.

With that price range, though, why not go all out, and get a Surefire or Elzetta?

Also, what about throw vs. flood? Not clear to me which would be more suited to the OP's needs, and he failed to specify.

Also, the TK35 isn't that small...perhaps you could specifiy a max length/width instead of just saying "small." A lot of people think anything that isn't AAA or smaller is "medium." Might cause some confusion.

zackwatt

Newly Enlightened
The tk75 is a great light too.
Can use a tube extension for more than double the runtimes.
Mine gas been supercharged by a Modder here vinhnguyen54.
It has 4000lm and 300kcd

Far more than the stock 2900 100kcd

Vinh has also sold many mx25l3 to law enforcement . I could definitely see why. Side and rear click, super bright 2700lm plenty of modes. Eagletac makes a durable light.
Also no cell carrier. Just load the batteries and go . You can also set on a mode and it will always come on at that brightness. If you want high mode, just hold the button to get max.

That is a pretty cool feature on the mx25l3. I like that a lot!

Do you have a forum link for the TK75 supercharging?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go to the main page of the forum. You'll see vinhnguyen54 under custom builder.

I'm on my phone sorry
Vinh had his own subforum. Just browse around. You'll find the "tk75vn"

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in the states. What kind of failures have you experienced?

Keep in mind, these were all purchased new.

LD20 quit working after a 3 foot drop onto gravel (to be fair, I had owned the light for about 2.5 or 3 years with no issues to that point)
LD10 made an audible whining noise on high
E21 would only work intermittently when I clicked the tailcap
Friend's TK41 quit working after two weeks

zackwatt

Newly Enlightened
With that price range, though, why not go all out, and get a Surefire or Elzetta?

Also, what about throw vs. flood? Not clear to me which would be more suited to the OP's needs, and he failed to specify.

Also, the TK35 isn't that small...perhaps you could specifiy a max length/width instead of just saying "small." A lot of people think anything that isn't AAA or smaller is "medium." Might cause some confusion.

I really can't give you a good "throw vs. flood" indication. All I've ever owned are maglights. Flood is probably better than throw, but I can think of scenarios where the opposite is true.

You are correct, the TK35 isn't all that "small". I need a flashlight to use with the "Harries" technique and be able to cycle it on and off easily. You don't clear a building with your flashlight on the entire time...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small
1. Momentary On able to be cycled while weapon is drawn.
2. Main use would be room clearing.
5. Budget under $300

In my opinion, this should be a single mode light, or one with a head that can be tightened and/or loosened for mode changes.
Suggestions: Surefire LX2, Malkoff MD2 (with high/low ring), FourSevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X with Burst Mode

Medium
1. Two is one & one is none.
2. Belt ring carry.
5. Budget under $300.
7. Does what the small one doesn't.

I believe this would be more of a "duty" light, or "utility" light, based on your use of #1.
Suggestions: Surefire P2X Fury (high/low mode), Surefire E2DL-U, Surefire EB2, Surefire 6PX Pro

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two brands that I trust without reservation are Malkoff, and Elzetta.

My recommendations would be:

Small - Elzetta Bravo with high/low tailcap with a Malkoff M61 drop-in in the standard head

Large - Elzetta Charlie with high/low tailcap with an AVS head holding the standard optic

or

Small - Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring running a Malkoff M61 drop-in

Large - Malkoff MD3 with Hound Dog head

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestions are

Small - A Surefire Z2 Combat light, Oveready is currently selling bored versions in HAIII finish. They will accept a 18650 battery or 2 x CR123's, they come with the momentary/twisty tailcap. Fitted with a drop-in of your choice, it would make an ideal tactical light. The Malkoff M61 drop-in is a popular choice, the output is 325 lumens which is bright enough but not too bright for room clearing etc. On 2 x CR123's it will run at full output for 1.5 hours (short on your specified 2 hr runtime). If buying an Oveready version with a Malkoff M61 then you may want to add an Oveready 123 Delrin sleeve to stop the CR123's from rattling around. That set up would cost you just over $200, making a saving of nearly $100 of your allocated fund.

Large - Malkoff Hound Dog, which is available in Cool or Neutral. Output is 1150 lumens initially with a sustained 1000 lumens output. Loosen the head and the output drops to 70-100 lumens. Purchase the MD4 body and it will run on 2 x 18650 3400mah batteries, you should be able to get 110+ minutes of runtime (close to your requested 2 hours). Total cost in the region of $170, that'll leave you plenty of money to invest in good batteries and a good charger. I use Nitecore batteries and one of their i2 chargers.

SurefireZ2ampMalkoffHDCombo_zps3784179b.jpg

I was a LEO for 30 years, now retired, and there wasn't anything like the choice of quality flashlights available when I needed them. My best advice is K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) that way in high stress situations your kit will work and you won't need to think about how to use it.

Last edited:

TheVat26

Enlightened
OP, if you are used to Maglites, then you are going to be blown away with what's out there. As an LEO myself, I was very green to what else was available, but quickly learned brighter isn't always what works in the field. TK35 UE for building searches? 1800 lumens will absolutely destroy yours and your partners vision indoors. Lighting up a vehicle during a stop? The reflections from the cars paint will also destroy your vision.

Fenix makes some innovative stuff, but the reason why many suggest simpler designs for LEO duty is reliability. Not having to worry of mode memory, electronic switches failing, etc. I would imagine if would take a lot of practice to deploy and holster the TK35 quickly in stress due to its unique shape. Similar concerns with the TK41 with the two small electronic switches close together. You will drop the light, break glass, knock on doors, etc. Not saying they are junk, but it's also more stuff that can fail in the spontaneous work shift.

Also keep in mind that many manufacturers advertise xx hours at max output. But notice that these max output settings are most of the time limited to 3-5 minutes before stepping down 20-40% to prevent overheating. This is the reason dedicated law enforcement/security lights have "lower" outputs, but their runtime curve is flat throughout the battery life giving true, consistent output.

If you're trusting your life to your flashlight turning in without worry, then stick with Malkoff, Surefire, and Elzetta. When Surefire releases the P1R Peacemaker, I will be the first to order. I second Grizz with a Malkoff MD2 high/low, and Malkoff MD3/4 with a hound dog head. You get what you pay for in the flashlight world. I personally feel Elzetta and Surefire are a little expensive, and Malkoff products are made to a higher standard. Customer service is second to none; Gene Malkoff has answered the phone every time I've called and we've spoken for 20 minutes at a time.

Just keep reading reviews, learn what features you need, don't need, battery choice, true battery runtime, beam profile/tint, warranty/customer service, etc. There are tons of law enforcement threads on here so keep an open mind.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Surefire releases the P1R Peacemaker, I will be the first to order.

It's a shame that SF aren't releasing it with the VOC Switch that they are fitting to the R2 Lawman, if they release the VOC Switch separately then I'll be buying several.

zackwatt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info guys!

I'm definitely going to look into what Malkoff and Surefire offer.

MBentz

Enlightened
I own a SureFire Lawman that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone in the LEO world. Yeah, the name is a little cheesy, but for it's intended purpose, there is no better.