Lawn mower blade sharpening

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Removing the blade & clamping it in a bench vise,
then letting an angle grinder have at it.

One of the most satisfying things to do!

----------
I grind up soo much stuff in the fall with my mower,, mulch & compost fest 🎃

Poppy

Flashaholic
Do you use any kind of a guide? Or do you just eyeball it?
I just eyeball it, and my blade has been so bad in the past, that any improvement is an improvement, but I am wondering if there are any tips and tricks.

+

Removing the blade & clamping it in a bench vise,
then letting an angle grinder have at it.

One of the most satisfying things to do!

----------
I grind up soo much stuff in the fall with my mower,, mulch & compost fest 🎃

Yep, same here. Previously, I used a bench grinder with good results. However, when using the bench grinder one must take great care not to let his left hand come into contact with the wire wheel. Another advantage is an angle grinder allows you to watch the progress since the edge is facing you as apposed to when using a bench grinder. This makes it much easier to maintain the factory angle on the blade. The downsides of using an angle grinder are the sparks tend to travel much further and there are a lot more of them.

I just eyeball it, and my blade has been so bad in the past, that any improvement is an improvement, but I am wondering if there are any tips and tricks.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice, practice, practice.
^ Funny line from the movie Inglorious *******s, but it's also the truth.

Personally, I just eyeball them when sharpening blades. However, I've been maintaining five different mowers for years. The blade is finished when there is one continuous grind, not 30 different angles. Usually, I finish them off with a file. Then check them for balance.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

You can get a sense of the correct edge angle. If you overly think sharpening a mower blade, your day will get long.
May need to hand file a bit, to deburr.

Typing this makes me want to do mine

Chance, I didn't see your post 5 while I was typing ^^^^^^^^

+

You can get a sense of the correct edge angle. If you overly think sharpening a mower blade, your day will get long.
May need to hand file a bit, to deburr.

Typing this makes me want to do mine

Chance, I didn't see your post 5 while I was typing ^^^^^^^^

I'm glad you didn't see 5. You stated it better, using fewer words. :clap:

Post 5 was the first time CPF auto-edited one of my word choices. It surprised me.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I don't love how that blade is clamped in the vise ^

Anyway, you can get a bench vise & grinder for around $100 if you look for deals.
A corded grinder is fine.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your blade is not dinged from hitting rocks or concrete curbs, and you're not pressed for time, using a long mill file will take awhile but also takes off less metal than grinding

Always having a spare sharpened blades is good idea..

.. Five mowers should be enough to Grand 'Ole Opry

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use a dremel bit that is basically a jig with a hardened sanding drum attached, you guide up and down the blade with it still attached to the mower.
If you use it a few times a season it works well. If you use it each Spring, it's faster to use the bench method described above.
Ear plugs and goggles reccomended. I also keep a bucket of water nearby in case sparks cause a fire.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
CG, so if we use four letter words like SH*T or CRAP this new CPF platform auto corrects?

So crap is permitted but sh*tting is not allowed🤬

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
I use a dremel bit that is basically a jig with a hardened sanding drum attached, you guide up and down the blade with it still attached to the mower.
If you use it a few times a season it works well. If you use it each Spring, it's faster to use the bench method described above.
Ear plugs and goggles reccomended. I also keep a bucket of water nearby in case sparks cause a fire.

Same here, sometimes I use an angle grinder at the end of the season to get it cut to where it needs to be and then use the Dremel attachment during the season to keep it sharp.

41FHXA00QPL._AC_.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
last week I told a friend that I was delighted that my ride on mower started right up. He advised me to sharpen my blade.

I said "Yeah, but it is a PIA to drop the deck and disconnect it without a lift."

He said that he doesn't remove his deck.

This is his method:
1. raise the deck as high as it will go
2. pull the spark plug wire
3. shove a 2x4 in the exhaust shoot to block the blade from turning.
4. remove the bolt holding the blade in place and remove the blade.
5. sharpen the blade
6. replace the blade, and tighten it against the 2X4

Fortunately, my blade looks good, because I am going to need a breaker bar and some PBblaster to get it off.