leadlight modding

crailtap25

Newly Enlightened
im going to buy a leadlight soon to mod... i know the pot mod is easy... but the resistor switch and the pot short? anyone know where i can get another resistor to make the switch? ive soldered quite a few things.. (in RC cars).. nothing as small as a circuitboard though.. anyone have any tips for this.. and one more thing.. has anyone gotten theirs to 110mw? and by how much would the life be decreased if it was to reach that high.. (if it even lasts a few days )..

any help is appreciated.. CRailtap25

photorob

Enlightened
I think the highest you can possibly get it up to is about 30mw. I don't think that includes all of them though. I think some of them won't even go past 10mw. If you want a higher level one your best bet is to call atlasnova and just buy a cpf special one. Which I think are set about 35mw.

evlspcmk

Newly Enlightened
id really just get a dragonlasers 30mw one for whateve they sell it for.. ledlights arnt built for high preformance with their weak diodes and crystals usually lead to a short life if you do

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
I second the AtlasNova CPF Special laser. Mine was sent to me at 38mW, and that's without touching the potentiator (pot), which I don't plan on touching anytime soon.

You'll never get a Leadlight laser past 40mW, and the only way you'll get that high is if you have a high spec laser to begin with. I got mine to 17mW, and it won't go any higher. I suppose you could get more power (not more visible light) by removing the IR filter, but I don't recommend that.

evlspcmk

Newly Enlightened
zigziggityzoo said:
won't go any higher. I suppose you could get more power (not more visible light) by removing the IR filter, but I don't recommend that.

yea if you value your eyesight dont do this

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
crailtap25 said:
what about this? it shows a leadlight getting at 110mw...Leadlight green laser pointer modification guide

While this may be possible, you run into a few problems:

1. You'll shorten the life of the diode significantly. If it's a 500mW Diode, and you're pushing 110mW visible light, you would be severely overpowering the diode.
  2. The laser is not built to dissipate that kind of heat. Your runtime would be max 10 seconds with a 20-60 second cool. If you run it for anything longer than that, say bye-bye.

Madz

Enlightened
The tutorial you are reading also tells you to remove the IR Filter. Most of that light is not visible.

evlspcmk

Newly Enlightened
most leadlights i think run on a 200mw IR diodeso pushing it at 110mw is too much for it and removing the IR filter its going to be a false reading of its power since the meter is also counting the IR aswell so the laser will be no brigter than a potmodded or whatever leadlight but the IR will give it a bit more burning power.

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
evlspcmk said:
most leadlights i think run on a 200mw IR diodeso pushing it at 110mw is too much for it and removing the IR filter its going to be a false reading of its power since the meter is also counting the IR aswell so the laser will be no brigter than a potmodded or whatever leadlight but the IR will give it a bit more burning power.

If this pointer is using a 200mW diode, and you actually get 110mW out of it, you're probably going to get about 5 hours of time out of it, providing it never overheats.

Just so you know.

crailtap25

Newly Enlightened
hmm thats not too good... ill just stick with pot mod then.. maybe a resistor swap when i get bored...thanks for the info