leaning towards nitecore p12...but it's still missing some stuff i want in an edc

veritek1

Newly Enlightened
ok, so i had a brightstrike epli for my edc. BUT i was constantly losing it. not the brightest(160lumens) but good enough for most edc applications ie. looking for stuff in my car at night etc. i also really liked that it took regular old AAA. biggest problem was the pocket clip. if i was wearing cargo shorts it was constantly falling out of my pocket(i know , just put it in the cargo pocket right?) and the clip would always snag on stuff like the hem on the bottom of my tshirts. in turn would rip out the thread. or get snagged on a sixpack of beer and jump out of my pocket, and in one case stayed attached to the 6pack and i later found it in the cooler with the beer. so i think ive lost it for good this time, so im in the market for another edc light. i like that i can program the p12 strobe for first click....actually that's pretty much why i want it, lol. my only real gripe with it is that the clip isn't deep pocket carry. so i guess here's what im looking for ....

1.) 700+lumens
2.) deep pocket carry
3.) instant strobe capable

any advice would be greatly appreciated

sassaquin

Enlightened
Have a look at Foursevens Quark Tactile lights. They can be programmed to any two modes (out of eight available including strobe) by either tightening or loosening the head. A deep carry pocket clip is available as an optional accessory that fits most, but not all, models. Foursevens lights come with a ten year warranty with USA based customer service.

Last edited:

veritek1

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the recommendation:) i forgot to add a couple of other stipulations to my wants.

4.) takes AA, AAA, or 18650 (i refuse to use cr123)
5.) it's gotta be $60 or under

i know my options drop considerably when adding these last two.

UnderPar

Enlightened
The FourSevens Quark QT2L-X can do all of your 3 requirements. It can go 780 lumens on burst mode, thats when switching ON at head tight. Instant access to strobe is be programming it on head loose. Once programmed, your head tight will be 780 lumens and your head loose will be strobe. HTH

flashaholic1

Enlightened
The p12 is an excellent light, probably the best you can get for the money. Has good flood, pretty decent throw for a smaller light and has a good fast powerful strobe. It has memory so if you leave it on strobe and turn it off, itll go into strobe when you turn it back on.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The p12 is an excellent light, probably the best you can get for the money. Has good flood, pretty decent throw for a smaller light and has a good fast powerful strobe. It has memory so if you leave it on strobe and turn it off, itll go into strobe when you turn it back on.

yeah the memory LOL. this is the most unreliable way to activate strobe in an emergency. "oh wait i forgot to leave it on strobe" famous last words LOL

TEEJ

Flashaholic
yeah the memory LOL. this is the most unreliable way to activate strobe in an emergency. "oh wait i forgot to leave it on strobe" famous last words LOL

LOL

Good point!

If only lights came with memory for the USERS too, so we could remember what setting we last used a light on...and not hit the 900 L strobe at 3 am in the tent, startling the wife and kids and everyone within 50' who assumes somethings on fire or whatever... looking for my boots to go to the latrine....

If you like instant strobe access, one of my favs is the Klarus XT11...as it has a button just for the strobe, even from off...super simple UI. The OTHER button is for on/off and modes...but, it does come on at max (~ 1,000 L) because its a tactical UI.

You say you want 700 lumens, but, for how long?

NONE of the 18650 or smaller sized lights can run over 700 lumens for very long due to heat management issues, even if they start out over 1k lumens, they have to drop down to ~ 500 - 600 L or so after a few minutes typically.

You mentioned lumens, but not cd or a range in meters, etc, that you want it to be able to show you something at. Can you give an example of how far away you might want to be able to see what?

:D

Last edited:

tacticalprotection

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any feedback on the strike bezel? It is not that aggressive. Would it do the job just as well as an Olight M18 striker?