Wurkkos

Leatherman Monarch 500

jzmtl

Re: Leatherman Monarch 500 ( 145 Lumens )

Huh, that's a weird design. Now the problem is the battery is too long to fit from what I can see in the pics. That and voltage is a bit low compare to alkaline aaa.

oregon

Huh, that's a weird design. Now the only problem is the battery is too long to fit from what I can see in the pics.

Just screw out the led pedestal a bit toward the lens for more room.

The challenge: A simple, cheap and robust battery carrier to make the Leatherman roar. Leatherman meets candlepower. Maybe just some tubing from HomeDepot then fastern both ends of the old carrier onto the tubing enclosing the 18650. There is a full ton of talent in this forum. This could be an opportunity for someone.

A couple more pics:

P1050189.jpg

P1050191.jpg

oregon

FlashCrazy

I picked one up today, so I'll add my two cents. The reflector is metal...not sure if it's aluminum, but it is metal. It is non-ferrous. Too bad the lens is plastic. The light is more than likely designed by Coast... same battery carrier/switch, same focusing system, same tailcap/plunger design, same heatsink design. The body tube is also the same diameter as some Coast designs, with the same threads.

Like bspofford said, the focusing feature is a joke. LEDs like to be focused at one spot in a reflector...especially CREEs. SSC's give you a little more lattitude in this area, as do optics. Edit: The resulting beam is a joke, but the system itself is great. This would be a good light to mod down the road, since you wouldn't have to play around with emitter height... you would only have to turn the head. I'm not saying the light needs to be modded now, just that when some new style emitter comes along with a weird beam angle, this light might be a good fit.

The beam is typical CREE in a smooth reflector... a big ring around the hotspot. The hotspot could be a little tighter... it's sort of nebulous, but not terrible.

It's direct drive... no circuit at all, no resistor. The wires from the pcb go straight to the emitter.

I measured a 950 mA draw on fully charged and rested NiMH cells. Using hot-off-the charger cells, the draw was 1200 mA. Given these measurements, runtime using NiMH cells should be around 1 to 1.25 hours to 50% light output.

I measured 4000 lux on my light meter. For reference, this is about what my Ultrafire C2 measures. My Fenix P3D measures around 3000, my L2D measures 2200.

All in all, I think it's worth the $29, but no more, again like bspofford said. The general public is going to LOVE this light... it is bright! High powered LEDs have finally hit the mainstream!

Last edited:

Scott Packard

I picked one of these up today at the Alhambra, CA, Costco for my dad's Christmas present. Several were already pulled from the cardboard crating material so somebody must have been checking them out. A guy ahead of me just briefly picked up the package then put it down without testing it. I tested one (there is a warning not to look directly at the beam and I have other CREEs so I know better).
The nice thing is I took several and tried them side-by-side. Most have just a bit of blue but one had noticeably less so that's the one I bought.
The stainless works nice when storing in a motorcycle pack or a dark drawer. Just a bit easier to find than a matte black body.

mmmflashlights

Looks like it should definitely be possible to modify it to fit an 18650. Might need some creative modding to the tailcap/switch, but it looks like there's room to do it. An 18650 would give about 2 1/2 times the capacity, I just put a piece of cardstock around the 3aaa converted lights that I use 18650's in to keep them centered and avoid most rattling. Add any decent circuit and you've got a much more attractive light.

FlashCrazy

Looks like it should definitely be possible to modify it to fit an 18650. Might need some creative modding to the tailcap/switch, but it looks like there's room to do it.

Yep, there's definitely room to do it. There won't be room to keep the stock switch plunger... the plunger would have to go, and the switch would have to be sanded down in diameter to fit higher in the tailcap. I think I would go with a different switch all together. There's room to be had in the heatsink as well. One could cut a bit off the bottom, and mount a driver high up in it. Or just move the stock contact board higher to free up some room, giving more switch options at the tail.

I haven't decided if I'm going to hack into mine or not.

1080P

There's about 80 of them sitting at Costco in Northridge, CA. I bought 2 today. Unfrickenbelievable how hot that light is in the brightness department.

Any recommendations for a good set of AAA NiMH and chargers? I already have tons of AA rechargeables, it was the lumen output that sold me on this one. Should be great if I can get a way to mount it to my bike helmet with some velcro fasteners. Run the helmet light on the climb, and this HID on the descents.

3122-SX-NB_w450.jpg

I'm wondering if you could put a couple of the proper sized O-rings around the 18650 Lithium to fill up the gap inside the cylinder? Will heat be a problem for rubber gaskets if overdriven? Voltage would be less than 4.5v and run time would be significantly improved with 2300 mA. Or will the unregulated light just suck it down burning brighter? Thoughts from the guru's here?

Last edited:

I came to the light...

I'll admit I haven't read every post, but if it hasn't yet been mentioned: I personally would stay away from 3+ AAA flashlights - the goal in using that setup is painfully obvious. 6 AAAs provide 9v at the start, making it easy to put out a lot of light. However, the AAAs don't have nearly as much runtime as AAs, Cs, or Ds, so the light will die down quickly. I'd trust a light using 2 Cs and good circuitry a lot more than an equally size 6xAAA flashlight. Just my 2c.

FlashCrazy

I'll admit I haven't read every post, but if it hasn't yet been mentioned: I personally would stay away from 3+ AAA flashlights - the goal in using that setup is painfully obvious. 6 AAAs provide 9v at the start, making it easy to put out a lot of light. However, the AAAs don't have nearly as much runtime as AAs, Cs, or Ds, so the light will die down quickly. I'd trust a light using 2 Cs and good circuitry a lot more than an equally size 6xAAA flashlight. Just my 2c.

This one uses 3 AAA's. I agree with you about AAA batteries IF they're alkaline. Alkalines just don't stand up to higher amp draws. This light draws around an amp of current, and alkalines would drop off like a rock, in a matter of about 5 minutes.

Now, use NiMH batteries, and a 3 AAA setup is not bad at all. You can run a Cree or SSC LED all out (1000 mA) at a relatively flat discharge curve for 1 to 1.25 hours. That's pretty much the same runtime as two CR123's, and I hardly hear people complaining as much about those. Try it with two RCR123's and you'll only get half the runtime. Plus, with the NiMH AAA's, you don't have to worry as much about them going :poof:. Yes, AA's have way more capacity, but the flashlight would be larger.

mmmflashlights

This one uses 3 AAA's. I agree with you about AAA batteries IF they're alkaline. Alkalines just don't stand up to higher amp draws. This light draws around an amp of current, and alkalines would drop off like a rock, in a matter of about 5 minutes.

Now, use NiMH batteries, and a 3 AAA setup is not bad at all. You can run a Cree or SSC LED all out (1000 mA) at a relatively flat discharge curve for 1 to 1.25 hours. That's pretty much the same runtime as two CR123's, and I hardly hear people complaining as much about those. Try it with two RCR123's and you'll only get half the runtime. Plus, with the NiMH AAA's, you don't have to worry as much about them going :poof:. Yes, AA's have way more capacity, but the flashlight would be larger.

Two Primary CR123's have almost twice the energy of 3 AAA's actually. 3AAA lights are pretty much crap, for the amount of space consumed by 3AAAs + carrier they have very low capacity. Compare 3aaa+carrier to the energy contained in similarly sized or smaller alternatives, AA, CR123, 18500, 18650, C cell. Only thing I like about 3AAA lights is that I like the size/form factor of the light, and that I can often mod them to use an 18650.

FlashCrazy

Two Primary CR123's have almost twice the energy of 3 AAA's actually. 3AAA lights are pretty much crap, for the amount of space consumed by 3AAAs + carrier they have very low capacity. Compare 3aaa+carrier to the energy contained in similarly sized or smaller alternatives, AA, CR123, 18500, 18650, C cell. Only thing I like about 3AAA lights is that I like the size/form factor of the light, and that I can often mod them to use an 18650.

Yes, I agree that CR123's have a higher energy density. All I'm saying is that when you're driving an emitter at 1000 mA, 3 AAA's aren't that bad. My modded Lenser puts out (conservatively) 160 lumens, and has a rumtime of 1 hr 20 minutes using NiMH's. A Fenix P3D, which has the most efficient regulation of just about any 2 x CR123 light, puts out about 130 real lumens for 1 hr 50 minutes using Energizer E2 1500 mAH batteries. Sure, it has more runtime, but the modded Lenser will kick the P3D up and down the block. :grin2: Plus, recharge the batteries and you're set to go again...much cheaper (and more worry-free) than the CR123's.

And yeah, the 3 AAA lights are a bit fatter, but not much bigger overall than many 2 x CR123 lights. The Lenser is about the size of a SureFire 6PL, just a little wider. Feels better in the hand too.

Anyway, yes, the AAA isn't the best format, but I just get a little defensive when people call it total crap. :lolsign: Don't get me wrong, I have many CR123 and 18650 lights, and AA, C, D, 14500, 10440, etc. :ohgeez:

Oh, and about this Leatherman Monarch... it's a great light for the money!

Last edited:

1080P

Done! Picked up the Sanyo Eneloop charger kit at the same time at Costco, the 2005 model that will charge your AAA's and AA's singlely, so recharging 3 of them is not a problem with one battery being odd man out.

Relatively painless at around 29.99 for the light and 21.99 for the charger, 4 AAA's, 8 AA's , C adapters and D Adapters with the charger. 145 Lumens, Cree emitter (don't know which Bin or Build)

Charged and ready to rock an roll for an hour or so with 900 mAh.

FlashCrazy

Here's a couple of beamshots. First is the Monarch compared to a SureFire 6PL (SSC emitter). The second shot is just for fun... the Monarch compared to an UltraFire WF-500 Tri-Cree. :green:

flashlight5en5.jpg

flashlight6ay4.jpg

Monarch on left, 6PL middle, WF-500 Tri-Cree on right
flashlight3qi3.jpg

flashlight4gz9.jpg

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Done! Picked up the Sanyo Eneloop charger kit at the same time at Costco, the 2005 model that will charge your AAA's and AA's singlely, so recharging 3 of them is not a problem with one battery being odd man out.

Relatively painless at around 29.99 for the light and 21.99 for the charger, 4 AAA's, 8 AA's , C adapters and D Adapters with the charger. 145 Lumens, Cree emitter (don't know which Bin or Build)

Charged and ready to rock an roll for an hour or so with 900 mAh.

Excellent buy on the Eneloop kit. If I didn't already have two of 'em, I would've bought another when they were on sale this past weekend!

1080P

I will be getting one of those Tri Crees next, once they get it straightned out with the glass and the drivers. Is there a way to put a diffuser lens over that tri cree to soften up the hot spot from the flood and make the center less defined? Hot spots are a booger when your primary use is an off road mountain bike trail ride on a single track in the evening. Lighting needs to be broad, about 12 to 15 hotspot, the rest a consistent flood.

Last edited:

Duc Nguyen

To All,

I got 4 Leatherman Monarch 500 lights yesterday at Costco in Porland , I checked and compare the output with few lights of my and I think it better then Novatac 120T in throw and close to Fenix T1 , the beam quality is Not but is good for spare lights.

greenstuffs

Banned

Looks nice but too much of an hassle the 3xAAA configuration. Only upside in getting it is the SS other than that i think you can do better at DX

awberke

... i think you can do better at DX

This seems to be a solution to many light threads, Monarch, G2, 6P, TF cree. For someone reason i don't find the comparison between solid brand name products with warranties and overrated chinese flashlights that are not likely to last a few months.

orbital

+

Very clean looking.
Bet they sell a bunch of these!!

How smooth is the focusing?