Leatherman Squirt and Juice Series

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Does anybody have any experience with the Leatherman Squirt or Juice series? I'm looking for a smaller multitool. I have been carrying a full size Gerber for years, but I now have a need for a smaller multitool.

I usually base my multitool selection on two things, tools included with the model and reliability/toughness. Since Gerber doesn't make anything in the size I'm looking for, I am looking at Leatherman.

I like the Juice series and the fact that a lot of tools are included with it, but it's not much smaller than my Gerber. The Squirt size is closer to what I want. Not as many tools offered with it, but I think it will probably still do the job. I'd like to have scissors and pliers on the Squirt size, but if I had to do without one, it would be the scissors. My other question is, how useful/effective is the flat phillips head on the Squirt? It looks like it would work, but I am wondering how easy it slips on a screw compared to a normal phillips head? Rounding off screw heads is a big gripe of mine. I want something that will work and not damage screws. Also what grade steel does Leatherman use? On their website they only state "Stainless Steel" I'm guessing 420 steel?

Thanks,
--JT

redcar

Enlightened
I have the version of the Squirt sold by Radio Shack. It has a 3-d phillips screw driver, which works quite well. The main tool is a combo plier/wire stripper/cutter. So far mine has been great and will work on screws, or in holes too small for my Victorinox Cybertool.

You can see it here: Radio Shack Squirt

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I can endorse the Juice S4. Size-wise it is only a little bigger than the Victorinox Super-Tinker SAK I used to carry, but the tools are a lot more useful. I also have a Leatherman Super Tool (older style) that I never could carry in a pocket, only in a holster. The tool quality is good, but none of the tools or the knife blade locks, something to remember. I particularly like the full phillips-head screwdriver over a flat-phillips. The pleasant suprise I discovered with the screwdrivers is that if you leave one handle open (other one closed in relation to pliers) then the screwdriver head becomes centered in relation to the centerline of the openned tool, and turning screws is quite easy to do this way.

Deanster

Enlightened
Squirt is very much a key-chain tool - it's a good keychain tool, but awfully small for anything like real work. I carry either of the squirts, just depending on which keychain I have, but I find the S4 more useful, as the scissors and tweezers are more commonly useful, and are useful in the sizes provided. The P4 pliers are fine, but very mini, and aren't so useful in my typical day. I've used the phillips driver on a wide variety of things, and they've almost always screwed or unscrewed - it's better than you'd think, but like anything keychain-sized, it's not really for real work. The E2 version mentioned above has a real phillips, but it's a very petite (#0?) head, and pretty seriously incompatible with standard #2's, IMHO.

So, for what they are, Squirts are great - I think they're the best keychain tools the world has ever seen. Just remember they're keychain tools.

I've noted here previously that I'm a HUGE fan of the Juice S2 - it has 90% of what I use a larger multitool for in a package the size of my old slim SAK's (not the huge chubby versions). Real pliers, scissors, a proper phillips, three flathead sizes, OK can/bottle opener, and a very small but surprisingly functional knife.

Mine has replaced my Wave for EDC, and the Wave only goes on on 'project days' now. It's exactly 1/2 the weight of the Wave, and I hardly notice it on my belt.

It's great for light projects, but once again, it's a very small, light tool for light use - I'm confident that I could probably use my Wave to rebuild an engine, if I really had to, but the Juice would be outclassed by that kind of project.

The larger Juices (KF4, CS4, SE6, Pro), I'm not such a fan of - the two '4' models have a crazy mix of tools - no can opener or scissors on the KF4 multitool, and a corkscrew and foil cutter on the CS4 aren't to my taste. The SE6 and Pro are darn near as heavy as a Wave, but much less tough - not for me.

Long story short - the small multitools are great, as long as you've got small multi-tool needs. The larger small multitools aren't so great, IMHO. And if I'm actually expecting to do real work (as opposed to working on random things that come up during the day), the Wave goes on in a heartbeat.

Brock

Flashaholic
I used to carry the Juice all the time and since I have slowly moved up the ladder here at work I am now in dress cloths pretty much every day. When I made that change it was a lot harder to carry a Juice so I went to the Squirt. I have both the S4 (scissors) and P4 (pliers) and find in the office the S4 is more handy but around the building the P4 is more useful. If there is something the P4 can't handle I find I usually need more tools anyway.

Along those same lines I went from a Surefire D2 P61 to an E2 and now I am carrying the Peak Shasta single N 3 LED light, but I do carry an E2/KL4 in my sports jacket pocket and a covert Photon on my keys.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Great reviews! Thanks!

I ended up buying a CS4. It was close between it and the S2. Once I was able to see what size it was compared to most things I carry in my pockets, I decided that it was just the right size and that it would carry fine. They didn't have a P4 in the store, but since I knew it was smaller and didn't have scissors and pliers in the same tool as an option, I knew I would be happier with the larger CS4.

The only complaint I have is lack of a file in it. The XE6 would have filled that requirement, but I felt it would have been too heavy to carry in my pocket. Plus I really don't care for the purple color. They only had the bright colored ones in the store and the prices were good, so I didn't feel the need to special order a gray one.

The only other semi-complaint I have is I am already missing my torx bits that I normally carry with my Gerber. I haven't checked to see if my bit adapter for the Gerber will fit the CS4. It looks like it might. If that's the case, that might be an alternative solution. Then again if I need a bigger tool I might as well get my tool bag out of my car for those tasks.

So overall I am happy with the CS4. For the size and the small jobs I intend to use it for, I think it will do just fine.

--JT

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you already made your decision, but for what it is worth, I chose the Juice S2. It is the smallest multi-tool that I consider to be useful as a "real" tool and it combines scissors and pliers. It is definitely a nice configuration and probably a good choice if that is what you need, but to be honest I have been dissapointed with it. Mine is the original and I believe they have tweaked it a bit since its introduction, but on mine the scissors seem flimsy, the can opener cannot possibly hope to open a can, the knife blade is ok, but has a strange shape and a really thick spine and the handles can pinch the life out of you if you are not careful. I have gone back to carrying an SAK most of the time and also a real full-sized multi-tool when I need one, which is rarely. If I were buying again, I would probably go for the Squirt. The Juice has made it into a survival kit, so it has not gone to waste.