Leatherman wave (new) or Charge (Ti, ALX, Xti, TTi)?

precisionworks

Original Wave - 1998-2004, New Wave after that (New Wave on left)

15_closed.jpg

15_open.jpg

15_side_a.jpg

15_side_b.jpg

http://www.fogma.co.uk/foggylog/archive/218.html

Last edited:

Hlorrithi

I think all the Charge models are really nice, depends on what tool options you want.
The Charges have, I believe, laser cut blades and nicer materials than the wave, but none of them are "bad" tools.

SimpleIsGood229

If you carry a quality pocket knife, get the Wave and be done with it. Your quality pocket knife will more-or-less cover whatever the Charge blade will. Let's be honest about the titanium; it's really cool and has a more rounded feel, but that's it. I suggest buying the 42-piece bit kit with the money you'll save.

This is coming from a very happy Charge TTi owner/user (who wishes he would've chose the Surge in the first place). EDIT: I now have both the Surge and Charge TTi, and am glad I have both. It's good having differently-sized MTs.

I made the mistake of falling for the titanium and S30V, even though I carry at least one Spyderco at all times.

Last edited:

motodrummer35

I looked into the Charge models, and the only one that I would consider is the AL. Of the others, one doesn't have scissors, and one has those stupid cap crimpers that just look like a structural fault in the pliers. I absolutely must have the leatherman scissors, they rock. Down to brass tacks, the AL is just a wave with aluminum scales and a slightly better main blade, neither are things i would pay an additional 50 bucks for. I have a blast and I just ordered a wave, and I am positive I won't look back.

DArklite

If you carry a quality pocket knife, get the Wave and be done with it. Your quality pocket knife will more-or-less cover whatever the Charge blade will. Let's be honest about the titanium; it's really cool and has a more rounded feel, but that's it. I suggest buying the 42-piece bit kit with the money you'll save.

+1 with gusto! Carrying my Spyderco Scorpius takes the blade part out of the equation; it's small with it's own clip and disappears into the pants pocket weight-and-bulk-wise (alot of Spyderco models do) and for that matter, the Wave with the pocket clip rocks too.
For $50 extra, getting the bloated Charge isn't worth it IMO.
Wave + 42-bit kit + a dedicated knife FTW.

koubilaihan

I edc a tti for couple of years now. Since I don't carry another blade I rely on the Leatherman's for all uses. Well it has been amazing so far never sharpened it and it still cuts like crazy. I only lube it from time to time.