LED behaviour as photographic flash?

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about experimenting with LEDs for creative photography.

What do you recon about this application?

A LED would in all instances be less powerful (watts), but if it is allowed burn longer than a strobe tube (Which burn time range from around 1ms to 10us depending on power)

What would be good emitters for this? I've been looking at the SST 50/90 from dealextreme, but their color temp rating seems very wide. For photography the temperature should be fairly controlled, especially if several light sources are involved.

The other design consideration is that if the LED is flashed, it wont need much heat sink and it should be possible to be driven above the continuous max current. (as discussed in the LED Strobe thread here)

Any thought on suitable emitters? How would the composite emitter blocks of 50W and above work in this application?

Cheers
O

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is this in Dive Lighting? Are you talking specifically for dive photography?

I have used my McGizmo XP-G mule for these things above the surface.

Long exposures in a dark environment open up many possibilities. I'll post some dumb playin' around pics tonight. But the mule works great for this, I think. :sssh:

obi

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Exactly, this is intended to be super-compact UW-flashes. Sorry for my being a bit too brief!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED's simply cant compare with a strobe for lumen. You would have to run several hundred watt worth of LEDs to compare to a fairly small strobe.

But LED's can be very useful for lighting for macro photography and video work, but you dont strobe it instead leave it on so what you see in the viewfinder is what you get in the pic with no guessing on exposure levels like you do with a strobe.
Of course being underwater heat is a non issues for a well designed system but battery consumption can be.

In no way are you going to make it super compact though. No mater what you build it will be bigger than a strobe.

You have probably seen my ring of light. I have 2 spare aluminium discs and perspex lenses if you are interested. I can machine the groves for the LED's and O rings too if required. All the rest you can do yourself.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?227965-Ring-of-light