LED Drop in for Surefire 6P

awilder

Newly Enlightened
Can someone recommend a good drop in for surefire 6P (for LEO purposes)? Specifically, I'm looking for a light that has good throw (as good or better than the 6P) but not so bright that it couldn't be use for closeup work.

I Tried a 200 lumen G2Z, but it was blinding and highly impractical when used for closeup work.

I'd like a single light that would serve both purposes without being a dual setting high/low light.

Thanks

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going to be tough. I see problems with your simultaneous requirements of 1) having throw at least as good as the 6P, 2) not being blinding at close range, and 3) not having more than one level.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
awilder,
Welcome to CPF!

In my opinion, the best LED drop-in's for the Surefire 6P are made by Malkoffdevices because of their quality, heat sinking and customer service. That being said, there are also many other brands to choose from.

I think you have two options.
Option 1. Get a Surefire FM34 beam diffuser for your 6P. It can be used with your stock P60 lamp or any LED drop in you get.

Option 2. Buy a Malkoff MD2 with the high/low ring option. The MD2 works like a Surefire 6P. Every time you hit the tailcap the high level comes on. This is important for LE work so you are never left guessing if high or low will come on. The only way to get the low level is to manually turn/rotate the bezel a bit (loosen it a bit). Then every time you hit the tail cap only the low level will come on which is useful for time you are not under stress and just want a low level of light for closeup work. Rotate the bezel back (tighten it) and your light is "fixed " on high again.

I don't know if a Surefire P60 lamp will work in a MD2. For the best throw, Malkoff's now discontinued M60 LED (Cree XR-E LED) is best. His current version, the M61 (Cree XP-G LED), is a much more fine balance of throw and spill. You can still find the Malkoff M60 at Oveready. You may find you like the new M61 better as you get better peripheral vision with it but give up a bit of throw.

Go to this Malkoff Tint Comparison Tool to see the difference between your stock P60 and the Malkoff M61. Put your mouse curser over one of the small pictures and it will show in the larger picture. These comparisons are on the high level only.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened
Have a look at Malkoff, they have many different output led dropins to suit any need.

Can someone recommend a good drop in for surefire 6P (for LEO purposes)? Specifically, I'm looking for a light that has good throw (as good or better than the 6P) but not so bright that it couldn't be use for closeup work.

I Tried a 200 lumen G2Z, but it was blinding and highly impractical when used for closeup work.

I'd like a single light that would serve both purposes without being a dual setting high/low light.

Thanks

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmmmm.... Malkoff. Sweet light engines that are probably the best in the world, and available in a variety of tints and output levels.

Have a look at the MD2 with H/L ring. Running on CR123's it'll deliver 260 lumens for around 2 hours and the low level (about 20 lumens) will run for ages and ages.

SunStar

Enlightened
I would stick with Malkoff - especially for LEO work and other critical use environments. If the G2Z was too strong, go with the M61WL. This will get you 125 lumens with a tint that is not so hard on the eyes for close up work. It also has a decent amount of spill and on par or maybe a little better throw than the P60 lamp. It will be very similar to the P61 or P90 used and proven for LEO / military applications of yesteryear - only with regulated output and much improved battery life.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a C2 equipped with a M61W (not "WL"), and it definitely has less throw than a P60 lamp. This has to be expected from a Cree XP-G in a small reflector.

The older M60 module, which uses an optic, does have more throw than the P60 lamp. But it also has the problem of creating a blinding spot at close range. This is an example of why I consider the OP's three requirements to be incompatible.

SunStar

Enlightened
Not discounting your experience or observations Andrew... but I just returned from a head to head with the P60 vs. the M61W and to my eyes the M61W was the clear winner in both throw and spill. Perhaps I have a weak P60 (although it is new) or its filament is focused slightly different. I do agree that the M60 has significantly more throw than the P60 while the M61 is "similar". I think the application of diffuser or filter as mentioned above may also aid in the OP meeting his objectives.

Something that has not been brought up so far is simply dropping in the P60L. Although I'm not a fan of it, if the OP is fond of the P60 and doesn't want something very bright but a slight upgrade to the P60, the P60L may be the answer. I'm sure that there are enough of these floating around for the OP to easily acquire one to try.

I have a C2 equipped with a M61W (not "WL"), and it definitely has less throw than a P60 lamp. This has to be expected from a Cree XP-G in a small reflector.

The older M60 module, which uses an optic, does have more throw than the P60 lamp. But it also has the problem of creating a blinding spot at close range. This is an example of why I consider the OP's three requirements to be incompatible.

helios123

Enlightened
You should try the Malkoff drop ins! They have lower output ones that are not so bright

signal 13

Enlightened
I carry two lights on my duty belt right now. One is an E2 with a KX2C head (same one that comes on the new scout lights) and a Z68 shrouded clickie tailcap. The other is a Surefire LX2. Both have the same quality beam with as much throw as a Malkoff M60 In a smaller package.

I use the E2 for a tactical light and the LX2 as a general purpose light such as up close work or navigating in the dark. Then if I need the full 200 lumens it's right there with the further press of a button without havin to cycle through any modes or twist anything.

These are quite expensive options but things worth having aren't cheap! Especially when your safety depends on it.

If you would like to keep the P60 on your belt, I'd say go with a Malkoff of some sort. M61 or M61W should do the job. Then consider buying something less expensive as a general purpose light to clip in your pocket or on another holster on your belt. Never hurts to have a backup light anyway!

spc smith

Enlightened
awilder, this is worth checking into if you want a perfect UI... but its going to require you to base yourself away from a surefire product. Sorry i have to be different minded on this one. User interface and function of this light: 1.) tail switch to use momentary, or full click of constant on light (serves the same purpose but without having to twist for constant on like SF lights). 2.) side switch at rear of light on side of tail cap, to cycle low10lumens@85hrs, medium100lumens@5hrs, high500lumens@2hrs. With the light not being activated, light can go right into strobe hitting the side switch. It uses the XML for a more further flood effect, but perfect for piercing cars with a shotgun of light into tinted windows at traffic stops. Ifyour runnin ID's low is perfect. if your wanting to strech your battery but have tac strength light, medium is good. Anyway.. i love my light as an MP! but its going to run $100 for an olight M20X.. something worth checking into for your requirements for sure=)