LED/Emitter Visual Differencea

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have a hypothetical question. If I have a bunch of Convoy S2+ lights in a pile and they fall and get all mixed up, how would one determine which LED was in each light by just looking at it? I understand that shining them onto a wall would be helpful, but it's not a final determinator.

We're talking the following possibilities.

LH351D
219b
219c
SST-20
SST-40
Osram

I think I can definitely tell the Osram one, by its throw.

Thanks.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
LH351D - (assuming high-CRI) Good color rendition. Greenish at low power. Good output and fairly bright. Broad beam with wide hotspot and not much throw.

219b - (assuming high-CRI) Good color rendition, but not very bright. Rosy tint at all power levels.

219c - (assuming you got high-CRI) - Good color rendition, but not very bright. Orange tint at all power levels. Fairly dim output, but slightly brighter than 219b.

SST-20 - (assuming 4000K high CRI) - Good output and throw. Fairly tight hotspot, second only to Osram on this list. Stellar color rendition at high power, but greenish tint at low power unless you have FD2 bin SST-20 which have rosy tint at all power levels.

SST-40 - Brightest emitter on this list, but only available in cool white, or 5000k Neutral white. Broad beam with wide hotspot and not-great throw. Similar beam pattern to LH351D. Only available in low CRI, so many colors look washed out or unnatural, but this is mainly visible in side-by-side tests with the higher-CRI emitters.

Osram (white 1 or white 2) - Cool white only. Lousy tint. Lousy color rendition, but best possible throw.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought the Opple Light Master Pro.

It wont tell me what brand of LED is in a light, but it gives a lot of other useful info, that would let me know the Color Temperature, CRI Ra, and Tint of an LED.. It also has a metric for Flicker rate.

Here is an example of the results of testing an Olight Ti S Mini

on Moonlight level:
CCT 4700K
CRI Ra 66
Tint DUV 0.0105
Average Flicker 520Hz

rah9n8J.jpg

Last edited: