LED Longevity

ike1985

Enlightened
Hi everybody. I have a Tx25c2vn. Several times a month I use it for 10-15 minutes at a time on max. It gets decently warm but I wouldn't say it gets super hot. I often use o light 3400's or VTC5's. I also just use it for daily stuff, few seconds on few seconds off. It is am XML2-dome on. I take good care of my lights and use good batteries, deoxit, deoxit gold, nyogel, etc.

1. How long do these type of LED's last?

2. Do lights slowly lose lumen and beam throw over time?

3. Does modding increase wear and depreciation?

Thank You

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi everybody. I have a Tx25c2vn. Several times a month I use it for 10-15 minutes at a time on max. It gets decently warm but I wouldn't say it gets super hot. I often use o light 3400's or VTC5's. I also just use it for daily stuff, few seconds on few seconds off. It is am XML2-dome on. I take good care of my lights and use good batteries, deoxit, deoxit gold, nyogel, etc.

Thank You

1. No one knows for sure, because there are a lot of variables, and, they typically measure a while, and then extrapolate out the projected lifetimes.

2. They do, but, as far as we can see, the reasonable expectation is that its a VERY slow process.

3. VINH's modding doesn't depreciate a light, and, it tends to INCREASE its durability due to the upgrades. The ultimate lifetime of the LED is projected to be somewhat shorter, but, again, even conservative estimates are that you'd probably get close to 20,000 hours.

If you are using the light as described, say for 15 minutes per week or so, it would take you ~ 25 YEARS to reach 20,000 hours of use.

Realistically, in 25 YEARS, the light that's state of the art TODAY, will be an antique toy light by then anyway.

Look back even 10 years at what was considered high performance, and you'll see that the state of the art full sized flashlight's performance from 10 years ago is a keychain light performance today, and so forth.

:D

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank You

LEDs last a long time, probably even when heavily "overclocked". hot-rodded lights usually have LEDs that are mounted on special copper boards that allow MUCH better heat transfer. so you shouldn't worry about the LED

it's the driver that you should be worried about since it's the weakest, most complex, and most failure prone. modded drivers usually run hotter, with more current going through the electronic components. so yes theoretically the reliability of a modded driver is lower

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
I think your choice of light is excellent! Vinh stands by his mods so I don't think you should need worry about longevity, besides he always sures up circuitry and improves heat sinking. I would be more concerned as to the reliability of a stock light!

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the typical Cree LED loses 20% brightness in 50,000 hours.
It is a very slow very gradual decline.
An hour a day would be 500 hours a year.
The LED would take 100 years to lose 20% brightness.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Gen2 CREE LEDs will last a very long time, if run at 85C or less (which is pretty hot, but that's at the junction, not at the surface of the light). If you run them hotter, the lifetime gets shorter and shorter until :poof:. Just shy of that, the lifetime may be hundreds or even tens of hours, even for the best LEDs.

Other name brands have similar lives, but some generic ones are quite poor.

If treated properly, the primary failure mode (especially in whites) is gradual dimming until the performance is unacceptable. I've seen some bargain LEDs become so dim they provide no useful illumination. I'd guess that's a 95-99% loss in output, over just a few years, running 14 hours a day on a timer.

I'm sure Vinh does a good enough job that you'll get tired of the light before the light gets tired.