LED map lamps feature in new Gemtex mirror for Chrysler

arab

Enlightened
From Just Auto Web Site:

Gentex Corporation has begun shipping its proprietary light-emitting diodes (LEDs) within high-feature, interior auto-dimming rearview mirrors for the 2003 Chrysler Sebring coupe.

Each mirror contains a map light serving the driver and front seat passenger, using binary complementary white (BCW) light versions of Gentex's Orca power LEDs in a highly engineered module. Additional features include the automatic-dimming electrochromic mirror function, Johnson Controls' Homelink wireless control system, and a dual-display showing the external temperature and the vehicle's compass heading, generated by Johnson Control's PathPoint compass technology.

"We are delighted to have simultaneously launched production of Orca power LED components in our pilot facility at the same time we've introduced a state-of-the art, multi-featured application designed around these components," said Gentex executive vice president Kenneth La Grand.

Each of the patented BCW Orca power LED components used in these assemblies typically produces in excess of 7.5 lumens of white light operating at about 0.6 watts. The LEDs are assembled into circuit assemblies using conventional tape-and-reel feeders, standard radial insertion equipment and a normal wave-soldering process, making them the most powerful, white LED components compatible with standard electronic assembly processes in production today.

Prior to introduction of Gentex's first BCW LED illuminator in 1998, a map lamp feature typically required two 4.25 watt incandescent lamps along with associated vents and bulky optics. LEDs typically last longer than a vehicle, potentially reducing warranty costs for the automaker and eliminating a need to design for replacement.

Willmore

Enlightened
Most of the dash lights and the 'ambiance' lights in my car are LEDs. The dimmer control feeds into a PWM circuit. The Radio and everything takes the signal. Sort of fun, "Lights get bright, lights get dim, lights get bright, lights get dim..." Wheee!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Automotive inter lighting is an art...it's beautiful
grin.gif

Watch out for the red LED display on Audis though--prone to fail and expen$ive to fix
shocked.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Binary Complimentary White LEDs? Are these the ones mentioned ages ago that use an array of turquoise and amber dies in one package, to combine and make overall white light? If so, it`d be interesting to see what the CRI (Colour Rendering Index) of them is. I don`t think it`ll be higher than a phosphor white, but who knows?

Someone scavenge a sample and send it to Craig for spectrographing......

wink.gif
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Saaby:
Uhhh...Craig, can you "park" this sample so to speak
wink.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unfortunately, not here I can't. There are some pay lots in adjoining blocks, but no long-term (other than drop-off only) on-site parking of any kind; either above ground or under. I park my 'vehicle' next to my computer chair.
grin.gif

As far as a CRI on the so-called "binary white", I believe it to be in the range of 35 to 65, depending on who you ask. Too much of the spectrum is depleted or missing altogether to make a good CRI white out of cyan and amber. It should do fine for reading a map though. But I bet color photographs might look a bit funny when illuminated with nothing but this "binary white" lamp assembly.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Uhhh...Craig, can you "park" this sample so to speak
wink.gif

The mirror is a part, it could be ordered separately.